This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi guys, name is Leon, been an electrician for 21yrs, live in South Africa, started PC building in 1997. Originally started on the ZX Spectrum 48K back in '84, commodore64
    was too expensive for me. Joined this site for some pictures, but I do cap repair on motherboards (mainly S478). Lots to learn from you guys!

Comment

hi bdtv does more browsing than talking cause i have a bad tv

Comment

Hi: this is Jim in South Texas. Just poking around, may want to replace some bad caps in an older Vizio Plasma TV that I inherited in divorce. Not really an electronics tech or genius, but have been dabbling with computers hardware and software for quite awhile - had Fortran batch system, then time-share with a PDP 11 and paper tape data entry while in school. First home PC was a Timex something or other that attached to a B/W TV and was programmed with Basic - peeks and pokes. Then we got a Compaq Portable PC - no hard drive, two 5 1/4 floppys - it buttoned up like a sewing machine (about as big, too). Wrote lots of graduate papers on that thing using WordStar...from 1985 to 1989. Ah, memories..... Happy to join this forum, tho.

Comment

Hi,

Just ran across your site,
          Really good info, for repairs and the like,
          helped build ROV's for 7years.

Thanks,
          Mike

Comment

hi all happy to be a part of this community.. im baiju.. willing to learn.. thanks for having me..

Comment

Good.

Comment

Hello everyone...

New user here with a samsung syncmaster 226bw that is flickering so bad I am using my iPod right now. Found this site via google and I have since disassembled my monitor and I see some bad caps with bulging and one that looks semi burnt and it is at a weird angle

Was just following forum protocol posting here (I read the faqs, etc) and now to post in the samsung 226bw thread

Thanks!
                Brent

Comment

Greetings,

I'm not a professional by any means. While in the Air Force in the 80's I did pick up some basic electronic troubleshooting skills. I've always disliked the notion of throw away products and components and have tried to fix most things that get broken from cars to appliances. I work in an office now with crunching data for the man and actually look forward to some hands on repairs. I am currently working on my TV - bad power supply and will tackle capacitors replacements. This board seems like just the ticket.

Thanks

Comment

REOFL, Orlando FL Great to see a site that provide information and not just for selling! I just ran into the BAD CAP problem on my Dell XPS600 two buldging/ leaking caps and a burnt inductor! Found this site from the Dell Forum (Dell site is good for something). I have built several systems and got tired of all the new technology so purchased teh Dell for what I thought was going to be my last PC I would need! Looks like I have to come up to speed on the latest tech to build a new PC and or repair this Dell Motherboard. Look forward to all of your help and lessons learned in the process.

Comment

Hello Everybody I am Arthur Jones. A Controls Manager. I am married with five children and six grandchildren. I found this site when I was searching for capacitors. It seems an excellent site. Thanks.

Comment

Hi guys, name is kem i'm from Jamaica, i am a computer/electronics/network engineer with electronics being my weakest field and my most demanding. i've been repairing pcs from 1996, networks from 1998, and electronics from 1987. it is an honour to be apart of such a great body cheers topcat. looking to learn from u all.

Comment

Hi,

I am a new comer, hope study from you guys.

Helung Yim

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                          As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                          So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                          where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..

Comment

Hello!!! I just ran across this wonderful site!!! I have spent 3 hours here already and have determined that I really am going to get back into the repair field after having been out of it for about 6-7 years due to health reasons. Thanks for getting me motivated again!!!

Comment

Hello everyone at badcaps.net!

my name is Ethan, i'm an 18 year old IT trainee and recently i've started to get more into soldering and repairing electronic devices after completing a few soldering courses.

this forum seems lively and fully of knowlagably smart people :P

i hope i can learn a lot of stuff from this forum and everyone in it.

Comment

Just wanted to say Hi. Much to learn

Comment

Hello all,

I confess I am a veteran...you guess how old! My first CPU like some here was also a VIC 20 with a tape drive. No where near a computer in my eyes. So I upgraded to a C64 with color monitor and DUAL floppy drives. You can see where this is headed can't you now? Well many years of upgrades and toiling at saving money at Harware hacking for a few more MHZ has landed me here with a quad core AMD and 8 GBytes of ram and 3 monitors and a RAID here and there.

I have been fixing things since I was a kid fixing other kids toys! It's a sickness I guess. Dilbert is my hero! I started in the Air Force fixing Radars, then got out and worked in R&D developing power supplies and millimeter wavetransmitters/recievers. Decided flight simulators sounded like fun; but for the last 20 years I have worked on X Ray and medical equipment.

I came to this forum looking for information on my Princeton monitor that was behaving poorly and you guys confirmed my suspicions before I took it apart. Ordered parts and saved myself a lot of frustration. ( I hate doing things twice)..sound familiar?

Thanks for the help so far and If I can I'll throw in too. I'll be lurking for you!( probably with a rum and coke in one hand and the mouse in the other.....maybe ...maybe not)

Comment

Hello all!

I'm a solder-phobic, code-a-phobic computer geek currently in an institution meant to remediate the latter phobia offering varying degrees ( 2 years at current institution, transferring to 4 and 6 year in the near future ) of remediation.

Found this forum via google when my monitor died. Figured "Hey, good info here, might as well jump in and work on my former phobia."

Comment

Name's Boris
                                      I'm a engineering student and computer/telcom repair tech
                                      I see a ton of bad parts daily and repair old stereo equipment on the side

Only thing you should know about me is that i strip parts off of EVERYTHING to test and keep. I've de-soldered to keep more caps than i've replaced and i've replaced tens of thousands. Nothing is safe from me i have over 1000 western electric caps alone from old central office equipment.

Comment

Hello all,

I found this site while searching for a specific capacitor for my monitor (surprise surprise). Anyway, I have never soldered or desoldered anything and I figured this dead monitor would be a good place to start! It's nice to know a place like this exists so that n00bs such as myself can find some much needed help!

Comment

Hi,

I found list site looking for capacitors for my Dell Dimension 8400 and my Dell LCD 1907FPt. I've been using computers since the early 80's. I haven't done any real hardware repairs on computers, but I have replaced damages boards and other components. I have repaired home appliances.

My dad is an electronic technician and always wanted me to go into electronics. He did teach me a lot and I have used a soldering gun before. However, I went over to the "dark side" and became a mechanical engineer.

I decided to try to repair this computer and monitor for two reasons. First, it seems like a fairly simple, cheap repair. Second, my oldest son is interested in computer science and hardware, so this seemed like a good project for him.

John

Comment

Working...
                                          X