X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and just want to say "Hi!"to everyone and tell everyone what a great job you have done with this site and forum. I am retired IT guy who worked in the IT Industry for approx. 35 years. System programming was my primary skill but for a few years I also worked on hardware (mainframe computers and disk subsystems) but my repair skills were limited to the FRU board level. I have always attempted to fix things on my own since I was young. I am not an expert with electronics like some on this board, but know which end of a soldering iron to hold and have some basic electronic skills. Really want to say what a great job and knowledge pool you have here. Really glad I found the site! Nice work!

Regards,
    Armand
    aka
    Swhatszup

Comment

Hi!

I'm a rookie wanting to learn more about repairing my tv

Greetings from Amsterdam!

Comment

Hi, been on this site many times, and I don't join many forums anymore but finding real tech knowledge on the web is more often a succession of misses & 2nd hand misinformation.

I'm a electronics tech n' have been into electronics since I was about 10, taking apart radios. I 've worked in many fields but interest is more hobby than full-time pursuit.

I have self-learnt many tricks to fix stuff, anyway hope to add more to the site than I absorb.
        -----------------
        A simple cheap SMD airflow tool is a handheld gas soldering iron without the iron :. is a selective hot airflow which can be regulated by turning up/down gas, also no onerous air lead. I have replaced many components without damaging them or the solder pads all within seconds... can also be used as a soldering iron & on heat shrink
        .----------------

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
          As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
          So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
          where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
          Hi

Comment

Hi, my name is Wox and I am in Scotland. I dabble in LCD Tv repair and have frequented this site previously for tips and have found it extremely useful. I am now a member and look forward to conversing with you all.

Comment

Hello all,
              My name is Phil and I am just a DIY kind of guy. I do not know much about electronics but I have successfully repaired many home appliances over the years. My latest challenge is my LCD TV and that is how I found this sight.
              Thanks in advance to all of you for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.
              Now on to that TV, wish me luck!

Comment

Hello,

My name is Jean and I come from France.
                I'm an electrical engineer and a robotic fan.

Comment

May I ask what is wrong with your tv?
                  Last edited by Wox; 08-02-2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Greeting All,

I'm pretty much a newb with electronics, but a common-sense quick learner that likes to tinker. I joined this board to help me revive a 10 year-old PhotoVu PV1940 Digital Photo Frame. I will start a new thread regarding this project after my introduction. Looking forward to being a member of this board. Thanks in advance and take care!

Jim

Comment

Hi all, I've just joined this forum to try and get some advice on repairing my laptop. Really happy to be here and I hope I can get some good knowledge from here.
                      Posting from the UK (and it's raining)

Comment

Hello all,
                        My name is Dan and I'm a Mechanical Engineer. I work in the packaging industry building and designing machines. I like to learn new things and am a DIY kinda guy.
                        Thanks!

Comment

Greetings and salutations to all of this amazing forums members.

I've been lurking, reading, blowing things up, reading more.... lol.

I am a computer technician, landscaper, electrician, plumber, mechanic, and general fix it guy.

Due to the information, knowledge, and sometimes lack of knowledge posted here I have repaired 4 LCD's.

I figured I would come out of the shadows before I started posting.

Comment

Hi fellas,
                            I wanted to say hello to the brightest group of people on the Internet! I'm new to soldering and component repair.. I'm an electrician by trade, so I can troubleshoot and read meters etc... I have fixed many Pannys, Samsungs, Vizios, both LCD and plasmas since Feb of this year. I prefer a plasma over LCD but they both retrieve nice cash either way . I think the Panny TH-50PZ85U is one of the best built.. The newer ones are nice but lots of issues which I guess is a good thing and brings us here haha..

Comment

Hi there,

My name is Paul. I have a magnavox tv with a power supply issue that is giving me grief. I came on here to hopefully get some input. Thanks

Comment

Hello, I am a new member looking for technical advise with my Samsung TV. Actually, this TV was given by a friend and will not power on. During browsing the internet, this site came up and I read thread with similar symptoms with my issue. I do appreciate for future assistance that I can get in this forum from the subject matter experts (SME).

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I'm 31 years old and I work in I.T and electronics buisness. Im self employed . Been doing electronics and I.T for more than 13 yrs. Glad to be here to share and poke the minds of other great people.

Thanks for having me.

Comment

Hi. Just registered here.

I normally spend my life repairing laptop motherboards but usually end up with a house full of stuff various friends/family insist I fix for them...

Comment

Hello everybody,
                                      I'm retired engineer, and i have tinkered with electronics and computers since my youngest age (i soldered my first Z80 computer years ago). I always keep things, trying to recycle them. I'm also french, but there is no cure for that ...
                                      Philippe

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                                        I'm an Electrical Maintenance Engineer, working on the Production Line for a small Dairy in Devon. UK.
                                        I generally repair all the electrical problems I encounter myself down to PCB Level. Can save the Company a fortune.

However I have an issue at home with a Pioneer Plasma TV, which has got me stumped.
                                        The TV is a PDP505PE approx 9 years old.
                                        I am experiencing green dots (speckles in the centre of the screen). These dots appear only on skin colour and Red backgrounds.
                                        I have replaced the Y-Drive Assembly PCB ( all be it with a second hand one ). but the fault is still present.
                                        Any advice would be most appreciated.
                                        My appologies for attaching this issue with my introduction post, but I dont seem to have the privelages to create a new thread.
                                        Last edited by sarnade999; 08-03-2014, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Hello folks,Im Marc from Maryland.I work at a landfill,And I get these tvs free all the time<Some I can fix with simply changing bad caps,others are a little out of my league lol.Hopefully I can get some help here,Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                                          X