This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi, I'm Noah, from London, UK. I started in electronics as a kid with a crystal radio receiver and haven't stopped since. Nowadays I find myself dealing mainly with computers and networks, but there are plenty of electromechanical gadgets that need attention too. I am currently trying to diagnose (and fix!) a Samsung LE37A656 TV and will post details when permitted. Great to find a place for serious sharing of knowhow!

Comment

Greetings,

My name is John Bartley. I'm a Physician Assistant who enjoys tinkering and learning new skill sets from those experts in their fields. I ran across this forum looking for advice on fixing a Panasonic 65" Plasma TV that was given to me by a friend who said he didn't have the time to attempt a fix. Learned that my situation was a common problem with this TV and was genuinely taken back by a forum member who was taking their time in helping someone fix their situation. They treated each other with respect, which is hard to find in this world. My hope is that I find the same kind of help here in this forum. It's hard to pass up trying to fix a TV that was free and is larger than a truck.

Comment

I am a college student that enjoys tinkering with computers, networking, and occasionally electronics. I realized that my electronics skills were lacking, so I decided to join the forum in the hopes of learning something new and maybe fixing some broken electronics along the way.

Comment

Hello everyone, I must give cudos to the moderators and members of this board. I learned more in ten mins. here than I did searching for hours on the web. with that said ... My name is Cass, My profession for the last 16 years or so has been network security( mostly Novell systems) Now retired I seem to spend a lot of my time fixing broken computers and electronics. Thanks again for the informative info

Comment

Hello to all on the badcaps forum. I am having a particular problem with a Dell laptop and while searching the net for information, I happened upon this site, so here we are. My background is both mechanical and electrical, with an associates degree in mechanical engineering from back in the day, and I got into electronics when I joined the Navy and went to A-school to learn the intricacies of electronics and troubleshooting. I have worked in the semiconductor test equipment industry, access control/physical security field, and currently work for a corporation that is primarily defense contract related.
            I am always tinkering with something and I hate to throw away anything that can be brought back to life, although with today's surface mount technology, it is becoming much harder for the average guy/gal to perform repairs in their home workshop. I enjoy learning new things from people smarter than I, and get a measure of satisfaction when I save something from the landfill.
            Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I'm looking forward to exchanging ideas and information with all you brainiacs and expanding my feeble mind.
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch; liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hi all. Happy to see this forum is still active after >10 years. It is increasingly difficult to find information for component level electronic repair in this throw away world. I am an electronics technologist in Canada. I begin my career (late 70's) working with vacuum tubes, my first computer repair was a TRS-80 and I worked with Naval weapon systems for over 30 years until I retired last year. I like to fix almost anything; I figure if somebody could design and build it, it should be easy just to make it work again. I stumbled here looking for Asus laptop schematics, but ironically, I am posting from a rescued Toshiba laptop that had bad video card caps. I really appreciate the expertise being shared here...keep it up!

Comment

HI everyone. Great forum just doing the first post. Before I ask for some help!!

Comment

Hello - this is my first post. Hoping to get info on fixing my 52" Sharp Aquos.

Comment

I'm just a do-it-yourselfer who likes to know how to fix things on my own. Too many devices are discarded for lack of a simple repair, and too much money is thrown away on things that could otherwise be fixed almost for nothing...imho.

Comment

Hello, I'm Billy763 ... been in the Electonics and computer game for a long time. I was looking for info about a tv when i stumbled across your forum. I am so old we used slide rules Ha! anyway glad I found your group.

Comment

Hello everyone-I repair Desktops, laptops and I am trying to get into Flatscreen TV service. I am looking forward to the information and advice everyone has to offer. Please feel free to help me out!! Thank you

Comment

Just saying hello to all the tech junkies out there. At least there is hope with this wonderful site. I have been reading the posts and they are very helpful. I hope I can offer advice and of course get some help.
                          I have been in the repair biz for about 15 years--good advice is had to find.
                          Thank you all

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Just saying hello to all the tech junkies out there. At least there is hope with this wonderful site. I have been reading the posts and they are very helpful. I hope I can offer advice and of course get some help.
                            I have been in the repair biz for about 15 years--good advice is had to find.
                            Thank you all

Comment

Just a quick introduction: I'm Dave and I took my first computer class back in 1983. I wish I had paid more attention and pursued an electronics education back then. The computers the school had were IBM's, I think (again I wish I had paid more attention) they had 64K of RAM, a 5 1/4" floppy drive and no hard drive. I have worked in Industrial & Manufacturing maintenance for the last 27 years. The last 17 years or so as an Electrician. The previous place that I worked (22 years) we had a lot of older electronics and repaired many of our own boards. Where I work now (4 1/2 years) most of the electronics are newer with a lot more automation, we mostly replace the whole board or component.
                              I found this forum while searching for information on repairing My mother In-Laws TV. She is on a very limited income and can't afford to replace it, and It couldn't have gone Ka-put at a worse time. It is in the middle of basketball playoff season. I hope to be able to repair it for her. If I can, it will move me back to the top of the Favorite Son In-Law list.

Comment

hello

Comment

I'll post more later. I promise. just short on time right now.

Comment

Howdy, I'm uranium and am trying to get the hang of replacing the capacitors on my monitors to keep them out of the landfill and help with my productivity. Hopefully I will be able to learn and then be an asset to the forum. So far it has been an asset to me. Thanks.

Comment

Hello,
                                      I am joining the party here too as it seems. Basicly I am here for some inside pictures of a Gateway FPD2485W monitor, to get a head start. This is by far not my first repair, I have experience with LCD TVs and monitor PSUs, CRT TVs and mainboard caps. And also very few experience with the occasional clothes iron or bread maker.

Comment

Hi all,
                                        A new member found this site via search for faults on Cello LCD TV I think I have found what I want. Great site and very helpful.

Comment

Hi there everyone- name is Craig, hailing from beautiful Van Nuys in sunny SoCal. I've been a tinkerer & DIY'er my entire life, tearing things apart (broken or not) to see what makes things tick. I am by no means a experienced person when it comes to electronics theory, but do have the basic skills and tools to work on circuit boards. I have successfully repaired some electronic devices (computers, power supplies, motherboards, coffee makers and other appliances, low voltage lighting, older tv's & stereo equipment) "just to see if i could" (with the help of Badcaps and the members). I am now off on another repair quest in search of knowledge & strategy to repair a LCD TV I saved that was slated for the trash pile by a friend. I discovered this site quite a while back and find myself ALWAYS coming back here. The knowledge here is mind boggling, so I thought... it'd be best to become a member.
                                          Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                                          X