X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello all,

Here to introduce myself.

I'm slightly new to the world of capacitors, but have experience in domestic electrical installation.

Electronics interests me, and I hope to learn a lot from this forum.

Comment

Mark from Denver. Hoping to get some info about electronics repair.

Comment

Bag from the heart of the Europe here I am in search for the information about buzzing Tannoy Reveal 6D monitor. The schematic would be VERY much appreciated..

Comment

Hi. My names Tony. And i'm into old tech.

Looking to gain knowledge so I can repair and maintain my old amps and Commodore computers.

That's all folks

Stuff I have at the mo:

1979 Sanyo Amplifier with 78 Tangent speakers
          Sony STR-DB940 (currently broken)

2x Commodore 64 breadbins. 1 broke, 1 needs caps looking at
          3x Commodore 64Cs
          2x Amiga 500s
          1x Amiga 600, recently capped
          1x A1200 upgraded

Comment

Hi, I started electronics at a young age, I have qualifications as an electronics service engineer but unfortunately never got to finish my last year due to health problems.
            I have diagnosed and repaired many items electrical & electronic, single phase & three phase, from a transistor radio to a Cincinnati plasma cutter. and as folks have mentioned computers alot in the intro I might as well too, my first computer experience was with a teletype linked to a mainframe programming basic via a 14.4k modem hahaha, then upgraded to a research machine 380Z which at the time was brilliant. I didn't own these! it was a school thing, personal computer wise I have owned most, from commodore PET, Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair spectrum, oric 1, Commodore Amiga etc etc.
            My Main area of repair though used to be TV, Video & Audio, from valve upwards to LSI but nowadays I do little as you can imagine by my previous admission to starting computing with a teletype I am getting on a bit now lol and my helath isn't brilliant so with dodgy eyesight and bit of a shaky hand small scale stuff is getting pretty difficult.
            I live in the UK and joined the Badcaps as it can be a useful and friendly place to be ;-)

Thats the end of my waffle guys n gals (Thank goodness I hear you say)

Regards to you all Midge5 (aka George)

Comment

Hi,

I joined the Forum to try and troubleshoot my old Phillips 42PF7220 Plasma TV. It's been very reliable and I have done some repair myself already. I replaced a Y buffer board a couple years ago. I'm having a new problem i would like to get some input on.

As a newbie do I wait to get the OK to post a new thread or tag along someone elses. I haven't done this before.

Thanks,

Spike333

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                sorry at this point I am completely lost, having never posted to any forum ever before. the purpose of my joining up was to be able to study a j-peg on this site concerning a Rca flat screen tv switch mode power supply schematic. I'll check back in a couple of hours and see if I can log in if not thanks anyway. have a good day. Walt

Comment

HI there...interesting site...I am looking for some help fixing a tv, but there seems to be lots of other cool stuff.

-Dave

Comment

Hello,

I joined this forum to learn and gain additional knowledge about repairing TVs. I am a Finance guy but have always had an interest in knowing how things work and/or repairing them.

When my 42LB1DR (LG LCD) went out a couple of years ago, I researched how to repair. Replaced a couple of capacitors and it worked! I told a family member about repairing my TV recently. The family member gave me two LG LCD tv's to repair and keep if I can get them up and running again. However, there repair is more than just replacing caps so I need to research further. Hence my joining this forum.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I made an account because I am in need of help diagnosing an LG Plasma TV power supply.

About me: My name is Jake and I am from Wisconsin. I work for an internet service provider and I configure services for fiber business customers. I have several industry specific certifications and spend all day configuring service provider routers that cost more than the average house in my neck of the woods! I love my job.

Electronics in general are a hobby of mine. My grandfather worked for a company that serviced pinball machines, jukeboxes and arcade machines. I believe that it is because of him that I have an affinity for electricity! There are photos of me in diapers with alligator clips, batteries, lamps, motors and buzzers strewn around. Legos and Star Trek also had a profound effect on me as well.

That is all for now! Thanks and I look forward to any help the users of this forum can provide, and will provide help where I can as well.

Comment

Hi Everybody, Ed here from the Philippines. I am Mechanical Engineer by background but I love doing electronics stuff like bringing back to life broken electronics gadgets, making simple projects as a hobby.I am self-thought in reading schematics and so far have been successful fixing the easy stuffs Lately I found interest in trying to bring back to life a dead Pana 42PV80 that has 7 blinks of death to no avail. Bought it defective at scrap price. Here is when I discovered badcaps forum and has done reading on some relevant stuffs. I myself own the very same model bought in 2008 and has been alive up to now (knock on wood).

Like most of us enthusiast and hobbyist in this forum, I find joy and a sense of accomplishment every time I restore or fix broken stuffs. And I like to learn more about displays from the masters in this forum.

Comment

Hi Guys!

Hello from a cold Sweden!

Found this site on the net while surfin for solutions on my bad TV. I hope I have come to the right place.

Comment

I'm just replying to this post so I can have the privilege of making a new thread to to have help answering my question. I look forward to becoming a member of this site.

Comment

Hello

Electronics technician from Denmark, hoping to get help and guidance no this site
                              Now only working with electronics as a hobby and when helping friends.

Comment

Hi all
                                Ian here on the sunshine coast in sunny Queensland Australia

Professional full time tech, warranty agent for over 40 manufacturers

happy to help anyone

Comment

Hi everyone!

I joined this forum to look at some attachments someone posted for fixing a brightness issue with a Dell P1110 CRT Monitor. Not only that, but I recently did my first ever solder repair on a Sony KV-34XBR910 that was having power on issues (got the TV for free off CL!)

A bit about me: I decided to try solder repairs because I'm a hobbiest computer geek and I want to be geekier about computer hardware by the day. Right now what I am really into that has to do with computers is display technology. I'm a fairly young guy (about to turn 23) so I have been on a quest to see why some more veteran tech guys hold their CRT displays in such high regard. After getting my CRT HDTV, I am definitely starting to see why; and to concede to the other side, I am also seeing why so many have moved on to another display technology (every tech comes with it's compromises).

Comment

Hello everybody

Got a broke tv and find this place on google. The info here seems amazing. Thanks

Comment

Hi to everyone!

This site has some great knowledge sharing. I'm hoping I can channel that knowledge into teaching me how to fix my LG plasma. I think my chances are greatly increased by joining. Thanks!!

Comment

Hello hello!

I think I may have found a new favorite website. I have a background in computers and am a Craigslist junkie. I like to buy broken electronics and fix them in my spare time. I only have one case of finding a TV that simply needed a cap replaced, and that is the extent of my "badcap" soldering experience... but it was an easy $200 profit!

I'm happy to be here.

Comment

I am happy to join

Comment

Working...
                                          X