• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

HELLO everyone

Comment

I found today this interesting forum, I am Alessandro, Italian from Milano, and I started playing with hardware around 1984. Still learning, my main activity is light and sound design and all that is connected, some domotic and car restore. Just to do not get bored!

Comment

Hi everyone,

My name is Dex from the UK.

I have joined this forum to help other and expand my knowledge with tech!

Nice to meet you all!

Comment

Hello, again. I have been a member in the past, but I couldn't remember my details or which email address I used, so I thought I'd sign up a new, because it's probably much longer than I remember posting here last.
          I generally don't post often, I'm more of a shoe gazer type, who prefers to lurk.

Comment

Hello Everyone, new member from Germany here. At 25 I'm still a fairly young and inexperienced technician but with a keen interest in knowing and doing things. I myself work as a IT System Engineer, mainly administating Linux servers. Hardware / electronics whise I've been always fiddling around with old laptops, computers or other electronic parts I can find around.

How I came across this forum? I've been given an old Lenovo Laptop that is BIOS locked and the most likely soloution is somewhere in these forums

Comment

Hello everyone,

I've been on this forum for quite some time and just now read WELCOME message! Better late than never, so here I am. Since my first visit, I managed to assemble quite good micro soldering station, so here I am to share knowledge with you! After amazing Richard of "Learn Electronics Repair" YT channel mentioned this place in his video, I checked you out (again) and ... what to say? This place is a treasure.

Comment

Hello, I'm a new member from Morocco Hello everybody

Comment

Hi there, my name is Walter and I come from Darwin, Australia, or Down Under. I found Badcaps on a Youtube video. I'm an unqualified electrician having wired boats for a living. This included 240volt and 440Volt AC systems. Also inclusive were 12 and 24volt DC systems. I've dabbled in computers having worked for a computer retail store where I had to build to suit the customer. This was at a time in 1995 when Windows took off. I would choose the motherboard to suit the client, then add on sound cards, vision cards, modems, etc.
                  With all my electrical knowledge I have no idea about capacitors. Oh, I can change them in say water pumps. But that's easy by matching the specs I usually am able to get the water pump/pool pump to work again.

I need help with an Arlec battery charger. It blew the Main Capacitor and it did such a good job of it that it was difficult to read the specs. What I could make out was the number 0.22uF I think. The cap also was piggybacked in other words there was 2 of them engineered to be 1. and was polarised. The battery charger has 2 x switches. The first has 3 x selections: Off, 6 x Volt, & 12 x Volt. The second switch also has 3 x selections: Minimum, Medium, and Maximum [Engine Start]. Now I replaced the cap with 2 x piggybacked 0.22uF 16v caps with the negative side of the cap joining the positive wire. When I turned the charger on to the 12 x volt selector it gave me a reading of 12.6 volts DC on the Minimum selector 14.0 volts DC on the Medium selector and 15.8 volts DC on the Maximum [Engine Start] selector. Unfortunately, the Amp Gauge never moved off zero. Even with the multimeter showing good voltage. When I moved the first selector switch back to the 6 x Volts position the caps blew up with a loud bang.

My questions are 1) Do I have the polarity the right way round? 2) Why doesn't the charger register any amps on the amp gauge when I've got it connected to a discharged battery and the selector switch in the 12 x volt position? 3) Do I have the correct value cap? 4) What would happen if I increased the size of the cap? 4)Would increasing the size of the cap give a current reading on the Amp Gauge? 5) What do you suggest would be the right-sized Cap to put in? Bearing in mind that the original Cap was virtually destroyed so it's hard for me to read the value. I'm only guessing that it's 0.22uF with two of them piggybacked.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the intelligence and knowledge to answer my questions. It's a good robust battery charger and everything on it works fine except without the Cap there is no voltage reading whatsoever. Please help..!?

Comment

Hi everybody, thx for ur info`s on this site!

Comment

Hi can anyone help i have made a couple of posts now and wish to open a new thread as i cannot find a thread that helps my query

Comment

hallo every body oam new here iam living in germany repairing handys and laptop and i love you website so much

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                          As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                          So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                          where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                          Hello Everyone and I thank you for the add!!!
                          I am The-Pump-Man-Dan (real name Dan) I am a concrete pump operator by trade and have a love for electronics of all types. I am from Missouri and moved to Tennessee 4 years ago. Back home it seemed like everyone had a sub and amp system in their cars and moving to TN it's like it just now coming around (from what I'm used to seeing). However, I have seen a number of people needing repairs in the audio amps, and this is why I am here. I have taken on the challenge of fixing some amps for people but need just a little more tech info from time to time and was told this is the place to come. I look forward to talking with you all and picking your brain from time to time. so with that i thank you in advance.

Comment

Hello too all and thanks to the crew for allowing me to take active part in the forum.
                            I'm more of the guys who ask for answers to problems than solving other peoples queries.
                            My name is Charles (spanishflyer) and live in northern Spain. My experience in computers is that of a user who due to age, I need others to tell me how to proceed in order to sort ot problems I used to be able to fix by myself : (
                            Best regards,
                            SpanishFlyer

Comment

Hi, I do work for Samsung smartphone department, here to get some help and help others

Comment

Hi - i'm a limey living in Oregon USA
                                Looking for information

Comment

Hi,
                                  Just a quick intro, to long in the tooth to deal in pleasantries, looking for answers to questions (aren't we all)!

Comment

Hey Everyone! Glad to meet all of you.
                                    Came across this forum today while researching common failures on Ensoniq audio equipment. Have played with electronics since age 10, later got an EE degree and worked for a major computer company until retirement about 10 years ago. Currently restore and repair vintage electronic music and audio equipment.
                                    Randy

Comment

大家好,我是一名从事20维修电脑的技术员,很高兴认识大家

Comment

Hey Ya'll!, New guy here. Just started really playing around with electronics, mostly to help me at work. I am a maintenance technician, and mostly deal with electricity up to 460VAC, but sometimes it would be nice to actually fix something instead of sending it out.
                                        No formal education in electronics, but have an associates in Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning, along with an Engineering Technology degree.
                                        I served over 20 years in the United States Air Force (now retrired), where I worked as an aircraft mechanic.
                                        Umm, I cant think of anything else, so glad to meet ya

Comment

Hi, just joined this forum. I am a novice. I love to tinker with electronic gadgets.
                                          I was out looking for ideas to fix a Lenovo laptop and was directed to this site. I was finding it very useful to read the posts and so decided to register.

Comment

Working...
                                          X