Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: polaroid tv capacitor identification

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
    I've seen trained technicians try to use a DMM to measure the resistance of a .01uF cap!!!
    I know what you mean, but ive actually "done that" for a purpose. looking for DC leakage/shorts. and i HAVE seen it.

had a MIDI keyboard and its on-board amplifier one of the channels was putting out DC. replaced the IC and same deal. come to find out, a .01uf, or a ceramic cap marked "102" was actually reading about 800ohms in resistance, same out of circuit as well. umm bad. LOL.

Anyway, move on....

Comment

Originally posted by mbates14 View Post
      I know what you mean, but ive actually "done that" for a purpose. looking for DC leakage/shorts. and i HAVE seen it.

had a MIDI keyboard and its on-board amplifier one of the channels was putting out DC. replaced the IC and same deal. come to find out, a .01uf, or a ceramic cap marked "102" was actually reading about 800ohms in resistance, same out of circuit as well. umm bad. LOL.

Anyway, move on....
      Agreed, there are times when caps go bad. In this case the 'tech' assumed because he couldn't read a resistance the cap was bad.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yeay I fix my tv, polaroid TDA-03211C (powerboard ipos 150 rev 1.8 Proview) -Had audio but no pic and a red Led light blinking it the back.
        For reference of how I fixed it I replaced
        2 10uf 450v Capacitors (EC17, EC18)
        2 FQPF9N50CF Transistors (Q16,Q17)
        and a 3.15 amp fuse (F2)
        (thank you Dansford, PlainBill, and retiredcaps)

Comment

I don't usually these frequent forums but figured I would give an update. My Polaroid TV is still working fine six months after I replaced those 2 caps.

Comment

That is an IPOS 150 board, I just repaired one this past weekend, and yes those are rated at 10uF 450V you just need to get some better quality caps.

Comment

Ok I am new here and noticed that this is a dead thread but was wondering if anyone of the above noted people still have a listing of where to get those parts and where the fuse is located on the same board as mentioned about in Lucky19's last post.
              Also has anyone done a write up or know who to install a better cooling system to these TVs every repair shop here in AK are telling me that the major issues of this TV is that it gets too hot and starts burning parts up.
              Last edited by RabitNak; 09-20-2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LUCKY19 View Post
                Yeay I fix my tv, polaroid TDA-03211C (powerboard ipos 150 rev 1.8 Proview) -Had audio but no pic and a red Led light blinking it the back.
                For reference of how I fixed it I replaced
                2 10uf 450v Capacitors (EC17, EC18)
                2 FQPF9N50CF Transistors (Q16,Q17)
                and a 3.15 amp fuse (F2)
                (thank you Dansford, PlainBill, and retiredcaps)
                Sorry still learning boards but this is the post I am talking about

Comment

Mouser has the transistors, and should have the caps and fuse. Digikey doesn't have the transistors.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thank you PlainBill for fast response on this. Does anyone have the complete part listing with part numbers for the replacement parts either through Mouser or digikey. Noticed that Digikey doesn't have as big of a selection as it used to but I guess thats just where I am looking.

Comment

Originally posted by RabitNak View Post
                      Thank you PlainBill for fast response on this. Does anyone have the complete part listing with part numbers for the replacement parts either through Mouser or digikey. Noticed that Digikey doesn't have as big of a selection as it used to but I guess thats just where I am looking.
                      That information may be somewhere in this thread, you're probably going to have to look for yourself. If it isn't, pictures and dimensions of the caps and fuse will help select proper replacements.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by RabitNak View Post
                        Here you go...

2 FQPF9N50CF (Q16,Q17) *Mouser Part #*512-FQPF9N50CF

2 10uf 450v Capacitors (EC17, EC18) Mouser Part #*667-EEU-EE2W100U

1 3.15 amp fuse (F2) Mouser Part #*576-08773.15MXEP

Comment

I'm new to this forum, and to the "fix it" myself world - I have one of these Polaroid tv's and the two 450v 10uf caps are bad. In reading all the info on this thread that you tech guys have generously shared I have a question....

If heat seems to be the problem causing these caps to go bad would it be better to replace them with High temp caps of the same value? I looked the part no. up on Mouser that Abblepc posted, and noticed that they also have another that is "high temp".... would they be better to use?? Or am I way off base assuming that high temp means just what it says? lol This is the link showing a side by side comparison of the two caps.... Other than the diameter I don't see much difference... but then I am a novice....

http://www.mouser.com/Search/CompareProducts.aspx

Thanks for any advice/insight you can share....

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Gatorcane View Post
                            I'm new to this forum, and to the "fix it" myself world - I have one of these Polaroid tv's and the two 450v 10uf caps are bad. In reading all the info on this thread that you tech guys have generously shared I have a question....

If heat seems to be the problem causing these caps to go bad would it be better to replace them with High temp caps of the same value? I looked the part no. up on Mouser that Abblepc posted, and noticed that they also have another that is "high temp".... would they be better to use?? Or am I way off base assuming that high temp means just what it says? lol This is the link showing a side by side comparison of the two caps.... Other than the diameter I don't see much difference... but then I am a novice....

http://www.mouser.com/Search/CompareProducts.aspx

Thanks for any advice/insight you can share....

Lisa
                            Using caps rated for higher temperatures and low ESR would be good, but it really isn't necessary. The problem is certain brands of caps (Capxon, Lelon, Elite, etc) have a history of failing in certain applications. Other brands with similar ratings (Panasonic, Rubycon, Nichicon, etc) have a history of not failing in the same applications.

PlainBill

Comment

I recently received a TLX-03210b from a local electronics recycler for free. It was stated that the picture would come on and then slowly fade to black. I plugged it in when I got home and found that the center one third of the screen appeared darker than the outer thirds and then the screen would go blank. I opened the back of the tv and found one of the two 10uf 450V capacitors to be bulging and the other flat. I ordered 2 10uf 450V capacitors from digikey (http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/50022-cap-alum-10uf-450v-20-radial-eeu-ee2w100.html). I also ordered the main capacitor at the same time as it appeared that it may be domed (although all of the main capacitors on this board appear to be like that from pictures posted here) (http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=p11674-nd). I received the parts today and installed the 2 10uf 450V capacitors and put the TV back together. TV has been on for about 2 1/2 hours now with no apparent issues. I did not replace the main capacitor, but I have it just in case. Total cost for the two capacitors was $2.08 plus $2.22 postage (main capacitor was an additional $3.91). Just wanted to give an update so that hopefully someone else can find this information useful.

Thanks to everyone on badcaps.net for all of their help that I have gotten since joining this forum.

Comment

Just wanted to post an update also and say thanks for all the info I obtained from this site, and to Plainbill a special thanks for not treating me like a "dumb ol' girl"... lol I replaced the two 10uf 450v caps on the tv on Thursday evening (11/03) and the tv has been working great ever since. I purchased the Panasonic brand from Mouser, ended up just getting the regular ones, not the high temp ones I asked about, spent a total of $6.13.... can't beat that for a free tv that I "rescued" from the trash heap... gave it to my mom and she is happy as a dog with a new bone... lol Now, if I can just teach her to use the universal remote.... Thanks everyone for all your help.... Oh and for my first time soldering, I think I did a pretty bang up job.... :-)

Thanks again, Lisa
                                Last edited by Gatorcane; 11-07-2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Going on a year and a half.......tv still working great after replacing the caps!

Comment

I found these cap bad in my TDA-03211C but wat about the large one. It looks like it is bulging too. I will try to upload an image.

Comment

How do u upload pics? Sorry for the ignorance .

Comment

Click the go advanced button, then click on Manage attachments

Comment

Originally posted by Wcranford View Post
                                          I found these cap bad in my TDA-03211C but wat about the large one. It looks like it is bulging too. I will try to upload an image.
                                          The large capacitor in this TV has a plastic covering on it that bulges outward, it may not be the actual capacitor that is bulging. See my post #94.

Comment

Working...
                                          X