Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung UH50EH5300FXZA, help with a transformer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung UH50EH5300FXZA, help with a transformer?

So there must be a different part of the PFC circuit that needs attention. The fact is when PS_on isn't grounded it looks like the PSU is trying to start but the main cap voltage always remains about 161v.

Should I un-ground PS_on now and try to locate the source of the up-and-down voltage, or are we still troubleshooting in another fashion?
    Last edited by DXseekerMO; 02-25-2019, 05:33 PM.
    They call me......."threadkiller"

Comment

Check that DP801CS diode (on back side of board) and DP803 & DP805 diodes on top side are not shorted.
      Then if you can measure the voltage across CM809 and CM814 (in standby PS_ON grounded)
      Then unground PS_ON and see what the voltages do, and also check for the voltage on pin 8 of the pfc ic.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
        Check that DP801CS diode (on back side of board) and DP803 & DP805 diodes on top side are not shorted.
        Then if you can measure the voltage across CM809 and CM814 (in standby PS_ON grounded)
        Then unground PS_ON and see what the voltages do, and also check for the voltage on pin 8 of the pfc ic.
        The diodes you mentioned have a good diode reading on all.

Across CM809.....PS_on grounded 11.12v, PS_on not grounded 10.13 - 10.17v

Across CM814.....PS_on grounded 10.21v, PS_on not grounded 10.89 - 11.10v

At pin8 of ICP801S there is a pretty constant 10.91 to 10.95v, PS_on ungrounded

Comment

Ok, so icp801s (pfc ic) is getting VCC, did the voltage across the main Cap. CP806S change from 160v and increase?

Comment

Ok, so icp801s (pfc ic) is getting VCC, did the voltage across the main Cap. CP806S change from 160v and increase?
            Top reading from across the main cap was 164.1v with PS_on not grounded

Comment

That tells me the pfc circuit is not running, The pfc circuit in the schematic I provided should be very similar, the only difference is your board only has one pfc fet.
              Check the resistors around the ic, There are two resistor strings going to pin 1 & 4, give them a check, they are high resistance values. The schematic shows a 47Ω off pin 5 to a pair of resistors to ground, I can't make out that circuit on you board but check any resistors there, Then check the gate resistors between pin 7 and the fet's gate (10Ω)
              It could be that the ic itself is bad
              The ic's VCC is normally 12 volts and the ic will shut down at 9v
              Post the pin number and voltage on each pin, carefully not to short a pin, Best way is to follow the trace from the pin to another component and measure the voltage there
              Last edited by R_J; 02-25-2019, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Post 43
                Originally posted by DXseekerMO View Post
                QM808 voltages main cap ground referenced:

Emitter: Started at 1.1v and slowly fell off to .79v
                Base: 4.1v to 4.15v with an occasional rise to 5.3v
                Collector: 3.92v to 4.2v with an occasional rise up to 5.2v

Voltage at A5V is now gone
                I cannot see why the readings now are so much different than what you have shown above.
                Now yo have Voltage to run the PFC IC.
                Last edited by budm; 02-25-2019, 09:44 PM.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                  The Voltage on the Emitter is generated by the AUX winding of the transformer which is fed to the switched Transistor QM808 Emitter (because it is PNP transistor), there will be no output on the Collector until PS-ON is present. The PFC IC running Voltage is around 12V.
                  That tells me the pfc circuit is not running, The pfc circuit in the schematic I provided should be very similar, the only difference is your board only has one pfc fet.
                  Check the resistors around the ic, There are two resistor strings going to pin 1 & 4, give them a check, they are high resistance values. The schematic shows a 47Ω off pin 5 to a pair of resistors to ground, I can't make out that circuit on you board but check any resistors there, Then check the gate resistors between pin 7 and the fet's gate (10Ω)
                  It could be that the ic itself is bad
                  The ic's VCC is normally 12 volts and the ic will shut down at 9v
                  Post the pin number and voltage on each pin, carefully not to short a pin, Best way is to follow the trace from the pin to another component and measure the voltage there
                  OK I think I found something significant:

Two resistors RP819 and RP818 that should be 20.9Mohms and 750Kohms both check at 50,900ohms. I'm guessing these are actually open and the resistance I'm getting is from other surrounding components.

I also found BEP801 that shows zero resistance. I can't make out the numbering on top but it kinda reminds me of a jumper?

Should I replace these before testing pin voltage?

From pin 7 to the gate there is 100ohms resistance
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DXseekerMO; 02-25-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

those two resistors resistors are connected in parallel.
                    http://kiloohm.info/smd4-resistor/5602
                    5602 = 56K
                    754 =750K
                    So total resistance will be <56K

BEP may be ferrite inductor so it will show like jumper. Look for other BEPxx on the board and check them.
                    Last edited by budm; 02-25-2019, 10:06 PM.
                    Never stop learning

Comment

those two resistors resistors are connected in parallel.
                      http://kiloohm.info/smd4-resistor/5602
                      5602 = 56K
                      754 =750K
                      So total resistance will be <56K

BEP may be ferrite inductor so it will show like jumper. Look for other BEPxx on the board and check them.
                      LOL I was reading it upside down! I see it now.

There are no other items marked BEP near in the PFC IC area?

With all resistors and items near the PFC IC checking OK are we thinking bad PFC IC? Should I now take pinout readings on the PFC IC?
                      Last edited by DXseekerMO; 02-25-2019, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I took voltages at all the pins of the PFC IC. Here's what I came up with:

SOVP 5.Pin assignment

FB COMP RT OVP
                        1 2 3 4

8 7 6 5
                        VCC OUT GND IS

1 FB Feedback Voltage Input: 1.016v
                        2 COMP Compensation Output of error amplifier: shot up to .5v, dropped off slowly
                        3 RT Set Maximum on time: 0v
                        4 OVP Over voltage detection: .973v steady
                        5 IS Current Sense Input: 0
                        6 GND Ground
                        7 OUT Output: 0
                        8 VCC Power Supply: 11.95v

So if I'm seeing things right...zero volts at the output that drives the MOSFET= shorted MOSFET or bad PFC control IC?

Comment

Opinions on transferring one from another board? I have several scrappers with this IC on them

Comment

I would suspect bad ic, a shorted mos fet would likely blow something, but check the parts in the gate circuit, there might be a zener to ground that is shorted
                            Taking an ic from another board should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by r_j View Post
                              i would suspect bad ic, a shorted mos fet would likely blow something, but check the parts in the gate circuit, there might be a zener to ground that is shorted
                              taking an ic from another board should be fine
                              +1
                              Never stop learning

Comment

I would suspect bad ic, a shorted mos fet would likely blow something, but check the parts in the gate circuit, there might be a zener to ground that is shorted
                                +1
                                Thanks R_J and budm, I will re-check the gate-related items off that FET and if all is good I will install the IC and report when finished.

Is this IC glued to the board? Any suggestions to deal with that if it is?

Comment

+1
                                  Well sodded dog, I ripped several traces on the board right by that IC. The zener in-circuit did not show short...kind of a moot point now tho.

This is because I still don't have a hot air station. Speaking of, does anyone have an opinion about this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Tronic-Mo...MAi:rk:17:pf:0

Comment

Update:

+1
                                    Well today the replacement PSU came in. Seller claimed it was from a new cracked screen TV and worked. When I got it the ground pads were nice and clean so I believe the sellers claim. I put it in the TV and no happy, TV dead. I checked the main cap voltage and found nothing. A further look and the reason showed up....the main fuse was cut out and missing.

Fast forward an hour: Ebay seller refunded my money with no messages, just a refund. I checked for a short in the mains on the board and found nothing, then checked all the FETs and Diodes, all indicated good. I installed the fuse from my old PSU, installed the PSU in the TV.....then lo and behold, the TV turned on and everything worked!

Fast forward another 30min. Everything was looking good, TV channels tuned and functions appeared to be working. I was using smart hub and tried getting in to the youtube app but it said it failed to connect due to network interference then later said it needed updating. I tried to use apps during this time but the little spinning circle with "updating" next to it wouldn't let me. Next thing I know the TV shuts off then starts boot-looping, eventually with no backlights or logo.

I'm letting it cool off to see if it will later turn on and stay on. At that point I intend to re-set smart hub then do a master reset on the TV and try again. So either I interrupted the update and bricked the TV....or perhaps we have an EEPROM or BGA soldering failure.

The good news: The display panel is very good in this TV, no lines or other things I feared fixing a model known for panel issues. I just have the boot loop and that appears to be it.

If it continues to boot loop, aren't there test points near the main EEPROM that can be shorted to re-set the EEPROM itself?

EDIT:ADD: Tried unhooking the power button and WIFI module right after turning it on and the problem still exist.
                                    Last edited by DXseekerMO; 03-04-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Updated voltage readings:

1 B13V.......12.47v, drops to 0 and comes back up to 12.47v
                                      2 P_dim......2.0v when backlights are on, otherwise 0-.7v when boot looping
                                      3 B13V.......Same as 1
                                      4 B13V.......Same as 1
                                      5 Vamp......12.47v drops to 0 and comes back up to 12.47v
                                      6 BLU_on....4.79v when backlights are on, otherwise 0-..13v when boot looping
                                      7 Vamp......12.47v
                                      8, 9, 10......GND
                                      11 B5V.......5.24v drops to 0 and comes back up to 5.24
                                      12 A5V.......5.25 constant
                                      13 B5V.......Same as 11
                                      14 PS_on....3.29v, drops to .2v, comes back up to 3.29v

Furthermore I took voltage readings at the backlight connector, attached and unhooked from the PSU:

1 NC
                                      2 D+..........347v, drops to 220v, returns to 347v......unhooked 347v
                                      3 S1- .........297v, drops to 176v, returns to 297v......unhooked 0v
                                      4 S2+ ........297v, drops to 176v, returns to 297v......unhooked 0v
                                      5 NC
                                      6 S2- .........306v, drops to 176v, returns to 306v......unhooked 0v
                                      7 S3+.........306v, drops to 176v, returns to 306v......unhooked 0v
                                      8 D- ...........316v, drops to 208v, returns to 316v.....unhooked 316v
                                      9 NC

EDIT/ADD: I unhooked the main board from the PSU and took voltage readings on the backlight connector:

1 NC
                                      2 D+.........264
                                      3 S1- ........159
                                      4 S2+ .......159
                                      5 NC
                                      6 S2- ........107
                                      7 S3+........107
                                      8 D- ..........55
                                      9 NC

Voltage difference between D+ and S1- = 104v
                                      Voltage difference between S2+ and S2- = 52v
                                      Voltage difference between S3+ and D- = 52v
                                      D+ and S1- run two pair of strings. 104/2 = 52

Based on the voltages found the power supply and backlight strings cannot be the problem, leaving the main, T-CON and connections/panel responsible.

So it looks like all the necessary voltages are available when the main board asks for them, but some of the time the main board isn't sending some command voltages back to the PSU?

The paragraph that was here is redacted
                                      Last edited by DXseekerMO; 03-04-2019, 05:18 PM.

Comment

1) What is the P/N of LED driver IC9151 8-pin SMD?
                                        2) Lift up one leg of diode D8151C and check the RESISTANCE betweent he two legs in both directions.

"EDIT/ADD: I unhooked the main board from the PSU and took voltage readings on the backlight connector:" So the backlights are still not on?
                                        If you look at the LED Voltage chart, it shows 229v @ 470mA with load, you are getting 264V so it means it is not seeing the full load.
                                        Last edited by budm; 03-04-2019, 05:19 PM.
                                        Never stop learning

Comment

1) What is the P/N of LED driver IC9151 8-pin SMD?
                                          2) Lift up one leg of diode D8151C and check the RESISTANCE betweent he two legs in both directions.

"EDIT/ADD: I unhooked the main board from the PSU and took voltage readings on the backlight connector:" So the backlights are still not on?
                                          If you look at the LED Voltage chart, it shows 229v @ 470mA with load, you are getting 264V so it means it is not seeing the full load.
                                          When I unhook the main board from the PSU the backlights are on, this post was updated 5min ago

Originally posted by DXseekerMO View Post
                                          EDIT/ADD: I unhooked the main board from the PSU and took voltage readings on the backlight connector:

1 NC
                                          2 D+.........264
                                          3 S1- ........159
                                          4 S2+ .......159
                                          5 NC
                                          6 S2- ........107
                                          7 S3+........107
                                          8 D- ..........55
                                          9 NC

Voltage difference between D+ and S1- = 104v
                                          Voltage difference between S2+ and S2- = 52v
                                          Voltage difference between S3+ and D- = 52v
                                          D+ and S1- run two pair of strings. 104/2 = 52
                                          Last edited by DXseekerMO; 03-04-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X