LG 55 Inch OLED REPAIR/EXPERIENCES!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 55 Inch OLED REPAIR/EXPERIENCES!

Hi , has anyone worked on a OLED TV already?

I almost bought a defective LG Oled (55ec930v ). The one on the pictures.
    The tv came with the symptom that it had a white vertical stripe followed by the tv shutting down on its own and won't turn on anymore.

As interested and enthusiastic as i was to buy this tv i first googled to see how OLED exactly works which is similar to plasma. Short story is that when the panel is damaged the tv will never work again. Tv on the pictures is damaged , small scratch.
    For example , when you throw something against a led/lcd tv...the backlight and picture still works in some area's. When you throw something at a plasma tv the gas thats inside will go away which is almost the same with OLED.

Just a small thread to warn enthusiastic hobbyist/repair people not to buy these OLED's when they are defective because 90% is all panel failure. New panel is to expensive.....

Im still interested in buying these OLED tv's but will it top my VT50 with just normal tv?
    Attached Files
    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Re: LG 55 Inch OLED REPAIR/EXPERIENCES!

hanging to get my hands on an oled, but i think it is still a couple of years off for me.
    they are only just starting to get sales going now and it will be a while before they start selling them in bulk i think.
    WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

I had the chance to buy one for 100 euro. But it's useless when the screen is damaged.
      I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

http://televisions.reviewed.com/feat...mage-retention

https://www.cnet.com/news/seven-prob...d-televisions/

Comment

Comment

I would have bought it just for curiosities' sake at 100 euros.

OLED panels do not contain gas. They are essentially identical to LCD panels, but instead of a backlight layer with LC glass which makes colour, they are a self-emitting layer of organic LED material.

In fact, the driver ICs are very similar to LCD panels. You have VCOM, VGH, VGL and AVDD, just like in an LCD. The TFT layer is very similar. The ICs on the panel itself don't drive the main current, that is handled by the TFT itself. So OLED should be about the same in terms of reliability as LCD goes. And a good OLED might even be more reliable than a plasma due to the lower power dissipation and lower voltages. And most importantly, OLED can do zero black, which LCD can't do, and plasma can only do on some prototypes.

A crack in the glass will be just as fatal as a crack in an LCD or plasma panel... it's user abuse, the TV will break, simple as.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

True but a damaged LCD will still show a picture , Plasma and/or OLED wont turn on at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                True but a damaged LCD will still show a picture , Plasma and/or OLED wont turn on at all.
                Not necessarily true, some damaged OLEDs still display a picture. If the damage is very severe then it shorts the power supply via the panel which will cause a shut down.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I've repaired several with bad tcon board (or whatever that is called in a OLED as it does more than the usual tcon) and one with a bad main. Been lucky so far that none have had failed panels.

Comment

Well without led's to overdrive and burnout. They may have to go back to capacitors to limit there lifespan.
                    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

So how hard are they driving those OLED to get enough brightness out of them? Sure like to see the spec. of the OLED panel.
                      https://www.oled-info.com/lifetime
                      https://www.oled-info.com/tags/lifetime/blue_color
                      Last edited by budm; 07-27-2017, 10:51 PM.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by jjanssen7 View Post
                        I've repaired several with bad tcon board (or whatever that is called in a OLED as it does more than the usual tcon) and one with a bad main. Been lucky so far that none have had failed panels.

What were the symptoms? You think the tv on these pictures is fixable or is it a bad panel.

Comment

Oddly enough two of the ones I repaired were the same model as yours. Symptom was no display, no lines, and a new Tconn fixed it both times. I had the same model cracked screen OLED and could use the tconn from that. There is some pretty serious heat sinking on the tconn so I'm guessing heat finished the old one off.

I don't have enough experience with OLED's to say much about yours, but it doesn't sound promising if it is deeply scratched and shows a white vertical stripe.
                          Last edited by jjanssen7; 07-28-2017, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Thansk for the reply! How did you know the t-con was bad? Maybe i will buy the tv and try to fix it.

Comment

Oddly enough two of the ones I repaired were the same model as yours. Symptom was no display, no lines, and a new Tconn fixed it both times. I had the same model cracked screen OLED and could use the tconn from that. There is some pretty serious heat sinking on the tconn so I'm guessing heat finished the old one off.

I don't have enough experience with OLED's to say much about yours, but it doesn't sound promising if it is deeply scratched and shows a white vertical stripe.
                              The screen was cracked on yours , did it still give a image or what does the OLED do when the screen is cracked? Blinking led or something ?

Comment

The screen was cracked on yours , did it still give a image or what does the OLED do when the screen is cracked? Blinking led or something ?
                                Anything from no display at all, to partial display, to shutting down after powering up with a distorted image.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                  So how hard are they driving those OLED to get enough brightness out of them? Sure like to see the spec. of the OLED panel.
                                  https://www.oled-info.com/lifetime
                                  https://www.oled-info.com/tags/lifetime/blue_color
                                  We'll have to see, but I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 20,000 hours. Not as good as plasma, but could still last 8-10 years of normal operation.

Comment

I can't quite recall what display the cracked one had, but I suspect same as Tom said. The tv I repaired had TERRIBLE burn in. Worst I've ever seen and I used to fix a lot of plasmas!

Something to keep in mind with that model...

Comment

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my LG 55ec930v same symptoms, when pressed power button the stand by light comes on for 2 seconds and shut it down, no picture no flashing lights. I have measured the voltages on power supply all good for 2-3 seconds. I noticed the 24v which goes down to the tcon board reaching only around 10.5v before tv shut down. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Mateka, Did you fix your TV or did you find what is actually issue with your TV. I'm looking at same model and same problem. I have replaced power supply and main board but same problem and nothing make difference. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                        X