Help with programming an EEPROM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with programming an EEPROM

I fried my component tester by not discharging a cap. Now I've been trying to reprogram the Atmel 328 (new) with no luck.

Does anyone know how to program Picture 1 with picture 2? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Help with programming an EEPROM

You need the running data file (bin or hex file) and there's every possibility that the original microprocessor in the tester is damaged.
    Last edited by dick_barton; 03-12-2017, 04:12 PM.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Thanks DB,

I did buy a new one and swapped the Atmel chip and the old one works with the new chip.I was hoping I could copy the data from the new chip to old (new) chip with the minipro. No luck. This project is more of a learning curve than trying to fix the device. they are cheap to replace.

I'm looking for "do this, then do that" type of instruction.
      Last edited by flibby3655; 03-12-2017, 05:00 PM. Reason: Atmel 328 chip is new

Comment

I suspect the original chip is locked (fuse bits)to prevent reading/coping

Comment

What is the part number of the Atmega328Pxxx?

Comment

If you can work your way through the documentation you should find the software as open source on the following pages.

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/arti..._.28English.29

Once you have the software I'm sure someone would be able to help.
            Last edited by dick_barton; 03-13-2017, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Getting closer, thanks for the help so far. I'll post a solution if you all are interested (if I get one). Have a nice evening! Hot here! For us anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by flibby3655 View Post
                Getting closer, thanks for the help so far. I'll post a solution if you all are interested (if I get one). Have a nice evening! Hot here! For us anyway.
                I have both of these items myself i will find the guide i used too update mine and the hex and bin files but if you search this site theres a thread with all the information you need in it

from page 11 onwards
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...tester&page=11

also some good info in this thread too
                http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/

The only thing you need to do is to load the TransistorTester.hex in the "Code Memory" and the TransistorTester.eep in the "Data Memory"
                Pay attention and use always "INTEL HEX" as File Format when you load the files. By default the TransistorTester.eep will be recognized as Binary and you have to change it during loading
                Attached Files
                Last edited by vinceroger69; 03-14-2017, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks Vince, a lot of info in the thread you posted. I will try this after work today and post back.

The picture I used (tester) is slightly different than mine in that mine has all SMD components not through hole, does it make a difference?

Comment

yes as my firmware wont work on your tester post a picture of your tester and we can see if we can find the correct firware version has yours got the original 8mz crystal still? as most of us have updated to a 16mhz and some extra fuctions in the new firmware its all in the eevblog thread too be honest but using the programmer use the guide i have posted as works fine just make sure the fuse setting part is set rite as it does cause errors if its not.

Comment

Here is my tester. Actual picture. Original 8mz crystal
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by flibby3655; 03-14-2017, 09:49 AM. Reason: Forgot about the crystal

Comment

have you got a link to where you brought it from thats a slightly older model as no rotary encoder etc

Comment

Below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

i honestly have not saw that tester before my advice is post a picture and amazon link on to the eeblog thread what i would do is keep the working ic as it is and maybe if its not damaged use your old ic put the firmware what the eeblog forums recomends onto that and give it a try as the font size etc maybe diffrent but usually the firmware is a lot better and more accurate. dick-bartons link has the firmware links but i have no idea which version you need to try but also remember you old ic maybe damaged and require a new one.

Comment

Thanks for your help VR69! I am trying to program a new Atmel 328. I bought 10 of them to practice with.

Can you post a link to the BUILT one you purchased, I would like to compare, thanks again!

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-EZM32...sAAOSwtJZXU~VA

i have two one with the standard 8 mhz crystal one i upgraded to 16 mhz crystal and firmware

have you tried copying your working ic data on too a new ic that way you get used to copying and adding the files etc and see it working.
                                Last edited by vinceroger69; 03-14-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post

have you tried copying your working ic data on too a new ic that way you get used to copying and adding the files etc and see it working.
                                  Yeah, I've been messing around with it. I'm where you were where I get the screen to come on for 5 seconds, but can't see anything on the screen. It could be the Intel Hex thing. I'll try tonight after work.

I tried to copy the new IC files, it is locked, just a bunch of FF FF FF.

Comment

yes i had that issue too try the hex/bin files and make sure the fuse settings match as per the picture i posted
                                    i have just checed both of our testers use the same lcd screen so in theory the files i attached should work
                                    Last edited by vinceroger69; 03-14-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

IT'S ALIVE! Thanks VR69! It worked using the files and suggestions you provided.

It's asking to be calibrated, What 3 pins do I clamp together?

Comment

Glad the tester now works im sure its the three pins you need to join together but you will also need a capacitor to calibrate the unit i have attached the tester manual all the info required is in there

this video will give you a rough idea on how to calibrate the unit
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIeS7Rk3EA
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X