Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung LE37S86BDX LCD TV (Popping noises, distorted image, turns on/off, video incl)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LE37S86BDX LCD TV (Popping noises, distorted image, turns on/off, video incl)

Hi everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a Samsung LE37S86BDX TV that was bought in 2007.

It makes really loud popping noises when I turn it on. The image appears and goes away, a few times. It has distorted lines across it. I thought this was all due to the infamous bad capacitors that Samsung used at that time. So I had them all replaced with new ones. But the problem remains and now I have no idea what it could be. After about 90 seconds the shit goes away and the TV works normally. If you turn it off and back on, it will work normally. But if you wait for a few hours and then turn it back on, the problem happens again.

Here is a video of the problem:
    https://youtu.be/bXLyRCNqZoY

Thank you very much.

Re: Samsung LE37S86BDX LCD TV (Popping noises, distorted image, turns on/off, video i

What capacitors did you replace where?
    Try heating up the main board with a hair dryer and see if the TV works normally. While you are at it, a straight shot, high resolution picture of the main board would be good (both sides).
    Last edited by CapLeaker; 02-27-2016, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Re: Samsung LE37S86BDX LCD TV (Popping noises, distorted image, turns on/off, video i

you have much likly bad voltage / over voltage. tv go in protection

disconnect the T-CON from Main board and turn tv on, you will have only sound. keep it and check if its going off again. if No, mean you have T-CON make TV over voltage current , change it or inspection it.

if Yes turn off, you have bad caps on PSU. almost which are near heat sing.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
        What capacitors did you replace where?
        Try heating up the main board with a hair dryer and see if the TV works normally. While you are at it, a straight shot, high resolution picture of the main board would be good (both sides).
        Thanks for the reply. I had the capacitors changed on the power board. A couple were blown and a few bulged so I originally figured that had to be the problem. But after changing them nothing changed.

Do you mean I should heat up the board to see if the TV works normally, as a one time test to see if it works temporarily or is that something that might permanently fix this problem?

I'll take a picture when I open it again.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
          you have much likly bad voltage / over voltage. tv go in protection

disconnect the T-CON from Main board and turn tv on, you will have only sound. keep it and check if its going off again. if No, mean you have T-CON make TV over voltage current , change it or inspection it.

if Yes turn off, you have bad caps on PSU. almost which are near heat sing.
          Hi, thank you for the reply. If it's bad voltage/over voltage, what is the right course of action? "Make tv over voltage current" ? I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The TV has worked fine for years. Is it possible for it to suddenly have a bad voltage current?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Skari View Post
            Thanks for the reply. I had the capacitors changed on the power board. A couple were blown and a few bulged so I originally figured that had to be the problem. But after changing them nothing changed.

Do you mean I should heat up the board to see if the TV works normally, as a one time test to see if it works temporarily or is that something that might permanently fix this problem?

I'll take a picture when I open it again.

Thanks.
            It is just a temporary fix (as long as the board is warm), but it will tell you if the problem is on the mainboard or not.
            Capacitors can look good and yet still be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              It is just a temporary fix (as long as the board is warm), but it will tell you if the problem is on the mainboard or not.
              Capacitors can look good and yet still be bad.
              I actually took the power board to a repair shop. They measured all the capacitors and replaced the bad ones. So that should rule out the capacitors.

Someone suggested on another forum I should clean the ribbon cables that are connected to the tcon board. I'm not even sure how to do that.

I'm going to try all that you guys have mentioned and take a photo. Just a little worried using a hair dryer on the main board. Is there any glue anywhere I might damage?

Comment

Naw... the hair dryer would have heated up bad caps, lowered the ESR and it may have worked unless a cap is really bad. That is a case I ran into today. But with my oscilloscope it was a dead give away

Comment

Bordeux Plus mainboard.....

Replace the two 1000uF 10v Caps Under The Tinwork of the Mainboard.
                  --Tinwork MUST be refitted, it doubles as heatsink....
                  TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                  http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                  PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

I figured that there must be caps underneath that tin foil.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
                      Bordeux Plus mainboard.....

Replace the two 1000uF 10v Caps Under The Tinwork of the Mainboard.
                      --Tinwork MUST be refitted, it doubles as heatsink....
                      I just got the TV back from the repair shop. They couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Here is a picture of the back of the TV. (see attached). Sorry about the bad quality, didn't have a decent camera on me.

But anyways, this is something new that I haven't heard. You are talking about the tin thing with the holes where the flash of camera is reflecting in the picture? I don't have the TV next to me at the moment. Is this something I can screw off or is it refitted in another way?

If this doesn't work, do you think it's definitely the main board that is causing the problem? I'm wondering if I should try to get a replacement board. Just haven't been able to find one for exactly this tv (Samsung LE37S86BDX).

(Also, don't know if this changes anything but the longer you keep the TV off, the longer the distortion lasts when you turn it back on. So if I leave the TV off for 10 minutes, I will get distortion for a few seconds when turning it on. If I leave it off for a few hours, I'll get distortion that lasts for about 90 seconds. And this is accompanied by really loud popping noises.)

Thanks for all your help guys. Appreciate it.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Skari; 03-02-2016, 12:46 PM.

Comment

You got it, that's the metal shield you need to remove to get to the caps.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                        X