Panasonic TC-P60S30 with 7 blinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TC-P60S30 with 7 blinks

So I got the 7 blinks after a loud pop on my TV. I did some searching on the internet and got here. Upon inspection of the back of the TV I could visibly see that the SC board had a blown piece. Not sure what it is but it is a small black square and it looks like it has two pieces and they blew and are separated. Ordered a new SC board from Shop Jimmy but when I installed the board I still get the 7 blinks. I did more digging and found the attached guide. I started on slide 50 to check the VSUS, VDA and P15V. When I have my multimeter set to 2K and the reading comes back at 1.00 for all three checks, I believe I am okay there right?
    I then go to Slide 70 and work through the steps, the first is to remove SC20 and C20 to see if the tv stays on with a 'black' screen. When I do this test the TV powers, I hear a couple clicks, then I press the power button and hear a click again but the screen doesn't do anything and there are no red lights at all. Does this pass this test or not?

So a couple of additional questions:
    - Am I using the right setting on the multimeter?
    - Is this the right trouble shooting guide?

Also, thanks in advance I am sure you guys get this stuff all the time and from the searches I did I can already see this is a great resource. Unfortunately I couldn't find the answer to my question in the searches I did.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by knightsae; 01-28-2016, 09:55 AM.

Re: Panasonic TC-P60S30 with 7 blinks

Forget about the first step disconnecting C20 as this TV has the power switch wired through that connection.

7 blink will be sc,sd or su. So to determine if it's SC, jump to the next step and go to slide 87 where the sd/su are disconnected and the sc50 test point is jumpered.

If that passes then one or both buffers are shot which I suspect may be the case if you got a new board and still have 7 blink.

Hopefully this oversight has not blown the good SC you had just received.

would be interesting to see some images of the old SC and the part that blew up.

Comment

I will get a picture for you. You mention buffers? What are those? Are they on a board that I may be replacing or something else.

Can you help me with questions before I get home and do the test starting at slide 87.
      - Am I using the right setting on the multimeter with it set to 2K?
      - When I conduct this test I remove the connections and then turn it on and the display should be 'completely black'. . . does that mean that it looks like it is just off? I guess I don't know what I am looking for here? On page 88 it just asks to remove the connections and jump SC50 which is easy, but I turn it on then look for what?
      - Similar question, doing the Su-SD (together) isolation (Slide 90) what am I looking for? Do I just turn the TV back on and report back?

Comment

Ok, so here is the picture of the blown piece on the board. Seems like there are other areas close buy that are burned as well. I will report back with additional details as soon as I finish testing.
        Attached Files

Comment

I went through the slides starting on 87 and got the same result every time through slide 92. The TV did the exact same

thing as it does when everything is hooked up normally. I get a couple clicks when the tv gets power, you press the power

button and the red light comes on for a couple seconds, then it goes back to flashing 7 times.

Having no smoking gun there I decided to start at the top (so to speak) and went to slide 70 related to 7 blinking lights.

I get to the first test and it asks to remove SC20 and C20. After doing that I turn the TV on nothing happens when I turn

back on. A couple of clicks but no red led flashes and nothing on the screen. I have a hard time with the decision tree

here so I went down both paths. I did the checks on slide 50 for 'power' which didn't show any issues so I assumed that

the answer to this decision was YES (at the previous step) so I went onto the next step which is again going through slides 87-92 and as previously mentioned it was still 7 blinks so I answer YES to that decision. The net page discusses the SU/SD/SC Short Circuit/Low Resisitance Test. I went through these procedures and got low resistance when I tested the first step (disconnecting SC41) so the answer there is YES. The next test (disconnect SC41 and 42) came back as NO. The next test (reconnect SC41) came back NO which leads me to replacing the SD board. Does everything there make sense? If so then I will order that and see what happens.

Comment

So with SD and SU Disconnected and SC50 shorted, does the set come on? with SC20 and C20 connected?

--Seems odd to disconnect C20 as this is for the switch function--so the set wouldn't ever come on in any way, anyway....

Test resistances across SC20 when the plug has been disconnected from the PSU and the similar plug/cable on the SS board the other side of the set, when that cable/plug has been pulled.

A Low permanent resistance indicates that board is faulty. You may see a low reading initially that will climb over say 10 seconds as the caps charge by the meter--this does not necessarily indicate a problem--providing the figure the resistance settles to is very high....

IF you find a low resistance it'll be the IGBT's and other parts of the board. The IGBT's are the black square items--Like the one with the top blown off on your nos.1 board....

Unfortunately--The Panasonic SC boards in these later year sets can do a lot of damage to themselves when they fail. Its not unknown for up to 40 odd devices are faulty....
            --Also, a SC Failure can in certain cases destroy the SS board--the other side of the set too.....

TW2005 is the resident SC Expert on this Forum, I believe he has done work on these 60S30 series sets....
            TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
            http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
            PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Working...
            X