Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 42FD9953/69c Power LED Flashing Red Continuously

Hi All,

I'm looking for some assistance in finding a fault in my Philips Plasma (which has Samsung internals).

It has recently become difficult to start, requiring more and more attempts, and now mostly finishes up with the Power LED flashing continuous Red when the remote power button is pressed while it is in standby. The LED initially changes to steady Green, then after about 10 seconds it begins flashing Red. The unit then no longer responds to the remote and the mains power must be removed.

Initially I was suspicious of the large filter capacitors on the power board so I have replaced 3 x 1000uf 160v and 2 x 330uf 450v caps which did seem to bring about some improvement. I subsequently replaced about 10 lower voltage 1000uf and 470uf caps with no further improvement in the situation.

I have noticed that when the fault occurs a Red LED on the main board lights. I have measured (with a DMM) all the placarded voltages I can find and they all seem to be within .1v of the specified voltage.

There are 4 fuses (2 on the main board, and 1 each on the 2 adjacent boards) and they are all intact. I have checked the main board for dry joints and found none, and no caps exhibited the usual signs of bursting (although some I replaced did seem to show signs of a resistive path between both electrodes and the metal can).

On the odd occasion that it does start the image is still very good, and it seems a waste to consign this unit to landfill for perhaps the want of a 90c capacitor.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rob.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Crossy; 05-07-2015, 07:24 AM. Reason: Attached pic of powerboard

Re: Philips 42FD9953/69c Power LED Flashing Red Continuously

There are some small SMD ceramics at the top left of the board near that large coil that fail and can cause this symptom.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...91&postcount=6
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks Tom,

I'll have a look soon. How tricky are SMD components to remove? I've done plenty of Through Hole stuff but managed to avoid SMD so far.

Rob

PS: Had a look at the area and attached a pic. I assume you are referring to the grouping of components above the heat sinks and to the right of the large cap? The component numbers on the schematic are different to those on the PBA.

Rob.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Crossy; 05-07-2015, 04:28 PM. Reason: Attached pic

Comment

Hi,

Just getting to the stage where I have time to look again at this problem.

As you can see in the attached pic, the components are all designated C8xxx, R8xxx or IC8xxx whereas the ones in the diagrams you kindly provided are all C2xxx etc.

Before I make matters worse by ripping off the wrong components, is it possible to confirm the identities of the 4 suspects, please?

Rob.
        Attached Files

Comment

As I have had no success searching under the Philips model number, and all the internal components are labelled Samsung, I searched under the part number which is screen printed on the SMPS board (S42SD-YD06).

This number turned out to be used by Philips, Sony and Samsung in various models, and there is a Repair Manual on line with quite a lot of detail, but unfortunately no circuit diagrams (although there are several block diagrams and fault finding flow charts).

The Power Supply check suggests removing the connectors to each Sustain Board in turn, to isolate which one may be the culprit. With the Y Sustain board disconnected, the fault remained, so I disconnected the X-Sustain board and the fault disappeared. So to be sure, I reconnected the X- Sustain board, and the fault (LEDs 8001 and 8002 off, LED 8003 on, LED 8004 on) has not occurred since.

I have checked the relevant cables and connectors for damage, burning and short circuits and found nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Rob.

Comment

More testing has got to the point where the fault is in evidence with the X and Y boards, as well as the Buffer, unplugged from the SMPS.

This strongly suggests the SMPS (S42SD-YD06) is faulty.

Any suggestions, please?

Rob.

Comment

Well it took a while and some patience, but the culprit turned out to be a faulty SMD 22uf, 16v electro on the Alarm board which is attached to the SMPS.

Seems the Alarm board wasn't giving all the individual voltages time to appear before inserting the crowbar.

Rob

Comment

Working...
              X