Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lg plasma shorted panel shorted buffers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lg plasma shorted panel shorted buffers?

LG 60PA6500-UA
    Anyone know if a panel with bad COFs or short(s) will damage sus buffers and/or address buffers? Any other collateral damage from a bad panel? I'm wanting to find the same model tv, used, so I have spare parts if needed. ShopJimmy won't take back what I've bought. Thanks everyone!
    From my favoritest movie ever!:
    Cledus Snow: Can I ask you a question?
    Bo Darville: Sure, ask me what?
    Cleedus: What the Hell do we want to go to Texas for and haul beer back here? What is that?
    Bo: For the good old American life. For the money, the glory, and the fun. Mostly for the money.

Re: Lg plasma shorted panel shorted buffers?

Yes, the particular panel faults on these damage the top Y-buffer boards. Hence why there almost no top Y-buffer boards in stock, but tons of lower Y-buffer boards. The Y-sustain has nothing to do with their failure; it's the panel, unfortunately.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks, Tom. Would there be obvious damage, hot spots or burns?
      Would it just be the sus buffers or would the address buffers fail also? I've inspected the panel ribbons several times, I didn't see any rubbing damage, maybe LG fixed that issue by the time mine was built.
      Could my logic board be damaged? Mine is connected to the 3 address buffers and then the panel COFs after that. Thanks!
      Last edited by Poor Flick; 08-28-2014, 06:04 AM.
      Cleedus: What the Hell do we want to go to Texas for and haul beer back here? What is that?
      Bo: For the good old American life. For the money, the glory, and the fun. Mostly for the money.

Comment

Sorry I think I am getting confused - your TV is the one with vertical lines, right?
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yes, Tom, mine had the thin colored vertical lines. The general consensus is the panel is bad. I was hoping to salvage some parts to use if needed on another LG 60PA6500-UA Thanks!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Poor Flick; 08-28-2014, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I would say the Y-sustain, Z-sustain, control board, PSU, and main board can be trusted.
            The Y-buffers are a "maybe"...

Comment

Thanks Tom, would there be burn marks or anything else obvious on the Y buffers?
              Do you think the address buffers survived? There's not many parts on those.
              Thanks!

Comment

The address buffers are probably OK, but then again they are very rare failures and on modern panels are bonded to the panel so they can't be removed.
                As for the Y-buffers, since they are not obviously shorted (you would have no image at all) then I would say they are not worth the potential risk.

Comment

Thank You very much, Tom

Comment

Hi I have a question, but I'm not sure where I should ask it. Is this just the reply area ?
                    My question relates to plasma panel faults. If a panel develops a fault (s/c) that destroys the z sus igbts, what has happened to the panel and can this fault be identified/proved i.e. measured with a meter. My query relates to an LG50PS80E TV that has been diagnosed by a TV repair shop with a faulty panel.

Comment

Yes if there is any faults with igbt on ymain it can be tested with meter . I suggest upload pictures of fault.

Comment

Hi Thanks for such a quick reply I don't have any pics to show unless a pic of the whole TV inside, I have removed the z sus board and am in the process of replacing the igbts and fuse. It's just that as the repair mob had said that "the panel module had a short that had made the main board to fail" I was cautious in reinstalling the z sus board just to watch it go "pop " again. So I went looking for info and found this site, I can't imagine what actually causes the problem. If the panel can be checked for s/cs I can save myself some heartache by not going any further.
                        I think I've attached a pic of the back of the TV.
                        Thanks again
                        BobF
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X