• Show
Clear All

Re: LG 50PA5500 Plasma - No picture then no sound

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
    Psu fix worked- hope it's the same problem for you

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      Sounds like your power board is bad. Are all fuses good on the board?
      Double checked the fuses, they test good.

Do I need to replace that capacitor discussed earlier or the entire board?

Comment

If you have the same symptom chances are that cap will fix the issue.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I replaced the cap, but it still did not work. The voltage readings are exactly the same.

What's next? New power board?

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Comment

the only thing I can think of is if you have power supply voltages coming up check out the buffer boards for shorts and look at the very top y ribbon cable going into the panel for a crack from a known defect in the plastic casing rubbing against the ribbon cable easiest way is to remove the upper buffer board and power of the TV and if you get a grey screen on the bottom then your boards and power supply are working
                Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I replaced the entire power board and it still does not work.

What's next?

Comment

Did you see Freakaftr8's post above?
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

No I missed that. Which is the upper buffer board? The board at the top left when looking at the back of the TV?

Comment

Yes, it's green and has a few orange flexible ribbons coming out of it, going into the panel.

One test you can do is to unplug the upper buffer from the Y-sus (you can leave orange ribbons connected.) You will need to remove the screws then gently slide it out.

When you power the TV on if the bottom half works ok you probably have this problem with the panel. AFAIK no one has yet fixed it, the TV is scrap (unfortunately.)

Comment

Freaker8--

Does that bad tab/plastic case issue happen on the smaller, say--42" versions of this series....?
                          TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                          http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                          PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
                            Freaker8--

Does that bad tab/plastic case issue happen on the smaller, say--42" versions of this series....?
                            Not that common but do recall one user having such an issue with a 42PA4500. Also affects 60" models. Seems 50" is worst affected - may have just been because they sold a lot of them...

Comment

Originally posted by Mac 108 View Post
                              Here's the board I removed:

I checked that a while back.

I checked it again to be safe, but I get no picture at all. The screen doesn't even flicker.

Comment

You replaced the ps board and still don't get vs or va? Where did you get the board?

With my 51" samsung plasma I had a bad ps board and a bad y sus board. With nothing plugged into the ps, and when applying power to the ps, the relay would click, then full power would appear at vs and va. then they would turn off right away.
                                When y sustain board was plugged in I would get no Vs. I checked and Vs showed short on the y board. I started finding a lot of shorted parts on the y board. I checked for shorts on the y buffer board and found none. It was cheaper to replace the y board than to change all the components that were bad. It's working now.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffegg2 View Post
                                  You replaced the ps board and still don't get vs or va? Where did you get the board?

With my 51" samsung plasma I had a bad ps board and a bad y sus board. With nothing plugged into the ps, and when applying power to the ps, the relay would click, then full power would appear at vs and va. then they would turn off right away.
                                  When y sustain board was plugged in I would get no Vs. I checked and Vs showed short on the y board. I started finding a lot of shorted parts on the y board. I checked for shorts on the y buffer board and found none. It was cheaper to replace the y board than to change all the components that were bad. It's working now.
                                  I got the board from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do I need to check to see if I got a DOA board?
                                  Last edited by Mac 108; 03-16-2015, 07:30 AM.

Comment

My YSUS board makes a clicking noise towards the top left of the board when the TV is on. Is that normal?

Is it possible that the YSUS board is bad?

Comment

If you disconnect both Y-buffers does the clicking subside? The clicking is not normal, a gentle buzz is all that is expected.

Comment

With both Y-buffers disconnected, the clicking stops. It only makes a buzzing noise.

Comment

What's next?

Comment

Working...
                                          X