Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philips 37PF7321/98 cannot turn on

Originally posted by john_doe View Post
    There is 5vDC at the diode 6505. 0v at the cap 2533. 0v at the small connector 1M10.

I will test the resistance later. Got called for some urgent work.
    Originally posted by bammbammfran View Post
    Ok
    this may take a while
    with power supply hooked up with just the two smaller plugs that we have been dealing with from the power supply to this board connected
    Let start with checking to see if the high power side of this board is putting out low power dc
    check for voltage at the diode with the red circle.
    You can use the jumper wire in the black circle or the negative side or the capacitor pointed to by the black arrow for the ground.

If voltage is there, let me know what it is. then check the capacitor pos side of the cap that has the black arrow.
    and also check the pins at the small 4 pin connector next to the orange fuse in the yellow circle 2 reds should be + and 2 greens should be -

then--
    With this board disconnected from the power supply:
    switch your tester to ohms and compare resistance from the 3 pin plug that should be powering on the relay of the power board
    check resistance from the blue pins to one of the black grounds and also the resistance from the red pin to ground
    The resistance of the blue pins to black grounds is 1Mohm. Red pin to black ground is OL.

Comment

good
      5 volts is what I was hoping for on the diode
      and 0 on the small connector (I think that small connector will show voltage only when the 12 and 24 volt 4 pin connector is connected from the power supply)

next to the 5volt diode is a similar size black part at 5506
      can you see any markings on it ?
      I believe it is a inductor or a fuse
      and it should have 5 volts at both ends. let me know on this one

one thing about these boards that sux is that they do not put a nomenclature letter in front of their numbers like R for resistor or F for fuse or C for Capacitor or L for inductor ETC
      There is no marking on 5506. You are right, it has 5vDC at both ends.

Comment

you may have just accidentally touched something that you not have and popped that fuse
        but
        the power supply should still be getting power on the high power side which is the side we are trying to figure out what is going on
        while you are in that neck of the woods, check the two diodes on that heatsink to make sure they are not showing shorts pin to pin and pins to negative on one of those two caps

Comment

The resistance of the blue pins to black grounds is 1Mohm. Red pin to black ground is OL.

Ok
          SO the red pin should be the 5 volts positive pin that is supposed to fire up the 1305 relay on the power supply
          and the blues are ground
          and according to your earlier testings, we were not getting power at the power supply relay at this plug at pin 1 and 4

SO,since you had said that the relay was clicking
          we should double check this with the boards reconnected, plugged into to house and powered on

check it blue pin to red pin and red pin to one of the black grounds that I had you use for the 5 volt testing

Comment

Ok
            SO the red pin should be the 5 volts positive pin that is supposed to fire up the 1305 relay on the power supply
            and the blues are ground
            and according to your earlier testings, we were not getting power at the power supply relay at this plug at pin 1 and 4

SO,since you had said that the relay was clicking
            we should double check this with the boards reconnected, plugged into to house and powered on

check it blue pin to red pin and red pin to one of the black grounds that I had you use for the 5 volt testing
            With all connectors plug in, blue pin to red pin, 7.5vDC. Red pin to black ground, 12.8vDC. This is done with the external 5v.

If there is no external 5v, blue pin to red pin is 0v. Red pin to black ground also 0v.
            Last edited by john_doe; 06-16-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

?????
              Where the heck are you connecting an external ??
              You should not connect an external to a wire that is plugged into another board that should be supplying you voltage.
              You can connect to the wires like we did to test it, but only if that wire is disconnected from the board that is supposed to be supplying the power which in this case is the standby board
              This 5 volt may even be from the main board that is sending to the standby board and the to the power supply (actually that is the way I think it is)

For testing purposes: If you want to try to do a bypass to force start the supply with everything connected
              Remove the wire that would connect to the red marked pin from the actual plug at the standby board side and run that to the 5 volts at the 5506 inductor
              Last edited by bammbammfran; 06-16-2014, 12:01 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

It is tough to trace the standby board from the pictures
                But
                I think that pin 7 (yellow arrow) is 5 volts that leads to the main board
                See if that is there
                Then check pin 5 (green arrow) to see if that has 5 volts when the power button is on
                and see if it is zero v if the power button is in off mode or sleep mode
                Attached Files

Comment

?????
                  Where the heck are you connecting an external ??
                  You should not connect an external to a wire that is plugged into another board that should be supplying you voltage.
                  You can connect to the wires like we did to test it, but only if that wire is disconnected from the board that is supposed to be supplying the power which in this case is the standby board
                  This 5 volt may even be from the main board that is sending to the standby board and the to the power supply (actually that is the way I think it is)

For testing purposes: If you want to try to do a bypass to force start the supply with everything connected
                  Remove the wire that would connect to the red marked pin from the actual plug at the standby board side and run that to the 5 volts at the 5506 inductor
                  The external 5v is connected to the relay 1350 pin 2 and pin 3 on the power supply board. I understand what you are saying. Sorry if I confuse you.

Comment

The external 5v is connected to the relay 1350 pin 2 and pin 3 on the power supply board. I understand what you are saying. Sorry if I confuse you.
                    ok on where the external is connected, but do you also have the 3 pin wire connected from the power supply to the standby board OR not ?

Comment

It is tough to trace the standby board from the pictures
                      But
                      I think that pin 7 (yellow arrow) is 5 volts that leads to the main board
                      See if that is there
                      Then check pin 5 (green arrow) to see if that has 5 volts when the power button is on
                      and see if it is zero v if the power button is in off mode or sleep mode
                      Yes, there is 5v when I connect neg probe of tester to black ground and pos probe to pin 7.

Pin 5 is 0v when I power up the tv from 240vAC house main. It is still 0v when power button is on.

It must be tough for you to trace the circuit remotely. And it is super tough to guide someone like me. I am so sorry.

Comment

ok on where the external is connected, but do you also have the 3 pin wire connected from the power supply to the standby board OR not ?
                        Yes, the 3 pin was connected from the power supply board to the standby board. I have now removed the external 5v.

Comment

Yes, there is 5v when I connect neg probe of tester to black ground and pos probe to pin 7.

Pin 5 is 0v when I power up the tv from 240vAC house main. It is still 0v when power button is on.

It must be tough for you to trace the circuit remotely. And it is super tough to guide someone like me. I am so sorry.
                          yes, it is tough, but good practice especially on a board setup like this that I have not had the pleasure to run into yet.

Ok then, that 5volt must power to the main
                          there is also a 12v that goes to there once the rest of the cables are connected (I think that is pin 3)

I am almost positive that the 5v should be what is returned to turn on the rest of the power supply through this same plug.
                          Could you check the other pins on that 11 pin plug with power button off and then again with power button on to see if any pins happen to pop up as 5 from 0

you can do an external on the power supply, but the 3 pin wire that leads to the standby board should be disconnected when doing this.

Did you by chance replace the blown round red fuse ?

Comment

yes, it is tough, but good practice especially on a board setup like this that I have not had the pleasure to run into yet.

Ok then, that 5volt must power to the main
                            there is also a 12v that goes to there once the rest of the cables are connected (I think that is pin 3)

I am almost positive that the 5v should be what is returned to turn on the rest of the power supply through this same plug.
                            Could you check the other pins on that 11 pin plug with power button off and then again with power button on to see if any pins happen to pop up as 5 from 0

you can do an external on the power supply, but the 3 pin wire that leads to the standby board should be disconnected when doing this.

Did you by chance replace the blown round red fuse ?
                            There is 5v on pin 6, other pins are 0v. This may sound strange, when I am probing pin 6, sometime it is 5v but sometime 0v. When it is 0v, the relay clicks. I did not use external 5v.

I will try to get the red fuse today from a electronics component shop.

Correction - Pin 6 is also 0v. Because the pins are so close together, I accidently shorted pin 6 to pin 7. When these 2 pins are shorted, the relay will click. Sorry for my carelessness.
                            Last edited by john_doe; 06-16-2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

ok
                              lets try something
                              disconnect power supply power cord
                              leave the 3 pin wire between the power supply relay and the standby board plugged in
                              use you external 5 volts and put ground to the three pin plug where I had the pins marked blue OR to the jumper wire that I had circle in black for a ground (9054 ?)
                              then plug the external 5 volt positive side to pin 6 of that 11 pin connector on the standby board to see if the relay clicks on
                              then we will know if we have the correct pin and if the standby board is switching the 5 volts to the relay

OK ON PIN 6 !! DOD NOT DO WHAT I SAID ABOVE THEN
                              Last edited by bammbammfran; 06-16-2014, 08:47 PM. Reason: change

Comment

Does that damn relay still click when you first plug it in ??
                                It shouldn't since you said you did not have power to it at the 3 pin plug

maybe when you accidentally are shorting pin 7 . that is temporarily shutting down the 5 to the main and shutting the other power source to the relay

another question
                                next to that 11 pin plug is a 10 pin
                                does that connect to the main board too ? your overall picture doesn't really show that plug
                                if it does
                                the return pin might be on that sucker

Comment

ok
                                  lets try something
                                  disconnect power supply power cord
                                  leave the 3 pin wire between the power supply relay and the standby board plugged in
                                  use you external 5 volts and put ground to the three pin plug where I had the pins marked blue OR to the jumper wire that I had circle in black for a ground (9054 ?)
                                  then plug the external 5 volt positive side to pin 6 of that 11 pin connector on the standby board to see if the relay clicks on
                                  then we will know if we have the correct pin and if the standby board is switching the 5 volts to the relay

OK ON PIN 6 !! DOD NOT DO WHAT I SAID ABOVE THEN
                                  Too late. Already done it. Relay did not click.

Comment

I thought 6 was a ground
                                    IF that 10pin connector has a wire to the main
                                    try testing those pins
                                    pin 8 might be a possibility

Signing off

Comment

The 11 pin connector connects to the SSB not the power supply board.

I have circles all the connections on the standby board.

The 7 pin on the standby board connects to 1M02 on the power supply board.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by john_doe; 06-16-2014, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Does that damn relay still click when you first plug it in ??
                                        It shouldn't since you said you did not have power to it at the 3 pin plug

maybe when you accidentally are shorting pin 7 . that is temporarily shutting down the 5 to the main and shutting the other power source to the relay

another question
                                        next to that 11 pin plug is a 10 pin
                                        does that connect to the main board too ? your overall picture doesn't really show that plug
                                        if it does
                                        the return pin might be on that sucker
                                        Yes, the relay still click when I plug power in. But I think it clicks on and then off as there is 0v on pin 2 of the relay, only pin 3 is 240v.

The 11 pin and 10 pin connectors connect to the SSB board.

Comment

I have replaced the red circular resistor.

Comment

Working...
                                          X