52" Sarp Aquos LCD TV (60Hz 1080p)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

52" Sarp Aquos LCD TV (60Hz 1080p)

I am trying to fix our Sharp Aquos TV. It is a 52" 1080p 60Hz LCD TV and is around 5 years old (I think). One day, it decided to not turn on. The power indicator light on the front of the panel flashes steady on and off. I tried replacing the power board, as I had read this was a fix for the symptoms I am having. I bought the board off of eBay and installed it, but no relief. Still just a blinking power light on the front of the TV.

After reading some more, I saw that sometimes they just need to be reset. I did the [VOL-] + [INPUT] buttons while plugging the TV in. When I did this, I got a click, 3 quick flashes of light on the screen, and then another click, and then back to the steady flashing power light.

Can someone please help me with what to check next? I don't mind putting a little money into repairing the TV (repairing it myself), since it is a pretty nice TV. I just don't want to keep putting money into it and having that money not fix the problem. Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by nayr; 06-01-2014, 07:04 PM. Reason: revised title

Re: 52" Sarp Aquos LCD TV (60Hz 1080p)

The TV's model number is LC-52D64U

Comment

i purchased a aquos 42 inch about 6 months ago with the blinking light and all i did was remove the main board and reinstall it making sure that metal cover on the mainboard it is not touching any other components on the board and it powered right up and has been working fine since.. this may or may not help u but its worth a try and its free

Comment

btw mine is LC-42D64U so it should be the same inside

Comment

I'll give that a shot, but it sounds way too simple to actually work.

Comment

agreed but im telling u it worked on mine and is still working 6 months later..apparently that metal cage must have flexed and was grounding another component out so i removed it and added black tape to the bottom of it then reinstalled it and been fine since

Comment

Did you try channel up and volume down? When I do this, my TV stays on, but no backlight or image.
              I have issues with a 65D64U. I think thet one of my inverters causing my problems, but I have six of them.
              Ones, I have repaired a 32" Sharp, which had a board mounting screw issue.
              It was a service bulletin for that TV. All I did, is add some washers to the mounting screws. It was a 2007-2008 model TV.

Comment

Ok ... [CH +] and [VOL-] did nothing. I tried removing and re-securing all screws on the two boards (the power board and the one the wall cord plugs into). When I do the [VOL-] + [INPUT] (+ power), I can hear the power board click once when it tries to come on (the front LED stays solid at this point) and then again when it stops trying and the front LED indicator starts flashing again. When it first clicks, it is followed by 3 flashes on the screen. When this happens, I can see the "HDMI 1" text in the black box in the upper-right of the screen, just as if the TV were on. Does this mean that the backlight is bad? Or whatever controls the backlight is bad? I would think that the actual LCD display part of the TV is fine since I can read the text in the little black box in the upper-right.. Although I can only read it when the screen flashes. The whole screen is black between and after the flashes. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks for the help this far. I hope I can fix this thing...
                Last edited by nayr; 06-02-2014, 07:26 PM. Reason: fixed

Comment

next step is to shine a flashlight on the screen to see if there are images on the screen when powered on. if so then its a backlight issue.. u will need some kind of imput source. also let us know if sound works

Comment

After a putting it off for a long time, I started looking at the TV again. And after further internet research, I think it's a problem with one of the backlight inverter boards.

There are 4 of them, so how do I tell which one(s) are faulty? And does anyone know where I can actually find one? I haven't had much luck on eBay, although I do believe I found one or two of them on there.

TV Model: LC-52D64U

Inverter boards:
                    [ 1 ] = RUNTKA327WJN1
                    [ 2 ] = RUNTKA328WJN1
                    [ 3 ] = RUNTKA329WJN1
                    [ 4 ] = RUNTKA330WJN1
                    Last edited by nayr; 11-09-2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Someone please help!

I replaced the main board and all 4 backlight inverter boards. And STILL, when I do [input]+[vol-], the power light comes on solid for a few seconds, then there's a click (sounds like somewhere on the main board), then a few flashes on the screen, then a slow blink on the power light.

I'm on the very edge of giving up on it, but it's (it was) a nice TV and if there's any chance I'm missing something simple, please let me know! Any help is greatly appreciated! This is so frustrating/disappointing!!

Thanks -
                      Ryan

Comment

Why did you replace the mainboard?
                        I think, that it would help, if you would post some clear pictures.
                        When I worked on my 65", I was lost too. This TV doesn't look like other TVs and there are no marking on the inverter boards. I could not diagnose it like other TVs.
                        I have made sure, that I'm getting the two voltages at the inverter connector.
                        I don't remember exactly those voltages, but they were something like, 15V and 65V. So I new that the inverters are getting the right voltages.
                        For like a second, I had an image on the screen, so I new that the mainbord and T-con board worked. So I knew that it has to be something with the inverters or CCFL tubes.
                        I have opened up the panel, to look at the tubes.
                        They were all turning on, but in a weird way. They were turning on from one side, toward the other, gradually. So the master inverter side had issues.
                        After checking Ebay for a couple of weeks, I have found all six boards from one seller for $40 shipped.
                        Did you look at the connectors that go to the CCFL tubes, they don't seem burnt?
                        On my TV, I had 6 inverter boards.

Comment

Photos are very helpful. You wouldn't expect a TV repairman to work on it blindfolded, would you?
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

How about a video? I just took this tonight. It's the same behavior that it did before changing anything.

http://youtu.be/gAXmzaoxtqk

Comment

Just got some pics: http://s9.photobucket.com/user/nayr8.../sharp%20aquos

Let me know if there's a close-up of anything that would help.

Thanks!

Comment

If you replaced inverters and mainboard then the most likely problem left is backlight problem itself (bad light(s) or bad connection) or a PSU problem.

Did you try the torch trick as suggested by whatusername?
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

How sure you are, that the inverters are good?

Comment

I can't say the inverters are good with 100% certainty. I bought them from an eBay seller who had very good ratings (100% positive feedback with 83 ratings). The auction says: "All Boards sent to our customers, have been taken from working broken screen tvs and thoroughly tested to be 100% working condition.". If you can tell me how to test them, I have a DMM I kind of know how to use...

I tried the flashlight on the screen and didn't see anything, but this was after a normal plug-in (where it goes directly to the slow flashing power LED). I tried shining it in the upper-right corner to try to see if there was that blue "input" box up there, but I saw nothing.

Comment

It can be hard to see an image if the backlights are off. Try the torch trick in the dark at night, that's the best chance you have of seeing any image.
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Sometimes, I ask the seller what could be the problem. Maybe, they are a repair shop.
                                        What I find interesting, is that everybody on Ebay sells TVs, with broken screen. There are, way to many broken screen TVs out there.

Comment

Working...
                                        X