X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Power Indicator blinks 4 then 10 times

Originally posted by lake effect View Post
    OK so TV repair tech today.

As suspected: TV had a new twist in that it did not present as typical SC board since not shorted or low resistance but Vsus voltage @205 v with SC NOT plugged in was at 0v when plugged in. Tech called panasonic and they confirmed diagnosis of SC board. SD and SU boards checked out OK.

Labor will be a little more than anticipated but I went with tech replacing because they warranty and if the SC board does not fix or if anything else wrong with the picture when fired it up they were willing to remove new SC board and stop with initial payment. A little money for insurance that the fix gets the TV back to acceptable standards and then hope this is the only fix needed for a while (hopefully this TV was worth $300+ to fix and lasts for some years....).

The part is on order (3-5 days) so I will post the final outcome.
    I don't see that as a twist as I think we already discussed it did not have the typical shorted SC2, but what one persons idea of not low resistance is to another comes down to experience.

Sounds like he may have followed that flowchart where it says above 1k ohms is ok but we already proved the SC was bad.

he probably did not know what resistance was meant to be at SC2 , hence the phone call.

Anyway, pity we could not save you money on this one but at least you were'nt taken on a ride.

Comment

Yeah, I measured the resistance at 1.6kohm but Vsus at 0 when SC2 plugged in and Vsus holding steady @205 volts with SC2 unplugged.

I am $87 into labor that will include install and assume the risk and if it doesn't work or the picture comes up with other issues they are willing to stop and pull out the new SC board and restock. I figure it gives a chance to validate it is the only issue and to evaluate the picture and decide wether to keep the TV or buy new. If all comes out looking good then I have an additional $60 labor plus the new board to pay for so a total on labor of @$150 but gives the chance to see if it truly is the only issue and evaluate the picture. The extra $60 was a "surprise" but at this point it's kind of too late to stop and if it comes up bad then I stop where I'm at and buy new..... This one is really on the fence of wether I should have bought new but to get a comparable TV this repair is @ half the cost of new so the gamble is it lasts a few more years with no new issues.... If it does have more issues then I'll buy new (with 5 yer warranty since they don't seem to last anymore...) and maybe tinker with this one on the side....

FYI that the tech did say SC board was something I could handle replacement and get firmware update from Panasonic but that replacing the SD and SU cards is a pain to reseat the connectors correctly to the screen and would not recommend me doing that if they had needed replacement....

Comment

Originally posted by lake effect View Post
        Yeah, I measured the resistance at 1.6kohm but Vsus at 0 when SC2 plugged in and Vsus holding steady @205 volts with SC2 unplugged.

I am $87 into labor that will include install and assume the risk and if it doesn't work or the picture comes up with other issues they are willing to stop and pull out the new SC board and restock. I figure it gives a chance to validate it is the only issue and to evaluate the picture and decide wether to keep the TV or buy new. If all comes out looking good then I have an additional $60 labor plus the new board to pay for so a total on labor of @$150 but gives the chance to see if it truly is the only issue and evaluate the picture. The extra $60 was a "surprise" but at this point it's kind of too late to stop and if it comes up bad then I stop where I'm at and buy new..... This one is really on the fence of wether I should have bought new but to get a comparable TV this repair is @ half the cost of new so the gamble is it lasts a few more years with no new issues.... If it does have more issues then I'll buy new (with 5 yer warranty since they don't seem to last anymore...) and maybe tinker with this one on the side....

FYI that the tech did say SC board was something I could handle replacement and get firmware update from Panasonic but that replacing the SD and SU cards is a pain to reseat the connectors correctly to the screen and would not recommend me doing that if they had needed replacement....
        So close, it almost made it below 1K. Must be honest, it does make you wonder the level of knowledge out there with these techs, probably got charged for the tech call to Panasonic. These are Panasonic authorised or just the local shop?

Well I did try to put forward a convincing argument but you have to make the right decision for you and lets face it if you're not confident we are dealing with 200v etc but you came so far and did all the other tests.

Never mind, look I like mine and it's a $100 broken TV +100 for boards and maybe a little younger than yours. You should get some good use still.

He was correct about the buffers, if they are removed can be finicky which is why I'd get you to resistance check installed first to try and leave them undisturbed hoping they were good.

Once you call the tech, you're in it to the end. So far he's told you what we worked out, that's the painful bit. You gotta cover yourself though.

I do get a big kick out of seeing someone fix it themselves with a big saving. I've seen some big $$ quoted for repairs like this and no surprise people walk away disgusted and dispose of the TV, which is handy for the enthusiast repairer.

But I've mentioned earlier, I got in and grabbed some spares for mine but no more Panasonic Plasmas made which I'll miss eventually.

But i do have a 2009 FHD 46PZ800 mothballed, I think I have a compulsive disorder. Jokes.

So are they taking the bad board or are you keeping it?

Comment

I just clicked, if the $87 includes install, what's the $60 for?

Comment

Yeah, at least I was an educated consumer so I don't get taken for too bad a ride. The $60 surprise was over the phone it was $80 +tax for in home visit for evaluation and estimate that applies to labor if I choose to have repaired. What they disn't state when I asked about SC board replacement on the phone is that board replacement standard rate is $199 that the $87 applies towards. They agreed to knock off $50 so that leaves the remainder $60.... I did talk with the manager and let him know this was pretty shady. As I mentioned, at least for the labor charge I get to see if the TV performs well with the new board and if not then they pull it out and I'm done. I am thninking it will perform well and if it lasts a few years then good to go. I am also assuming this TV is still better quality picture than new LED TV's....

Comment

New SC board installed today. TV works fine. No burned out pixels or lines. Put on the scroll bar and Tech pointed a very slight 4:3 burn in on the sides of the display but not obvious that took me a while to see but now that I can see it I will have to try to ignore...

Tech did not want to mess with firmware update as he stated information he got said that it can cause problems with the A-card so he did not want to mess with it and that it isn't needed. I found the listing on the Panasonic website and the directions has a revision history and it all appears to be updates for Viera Cast and Skype.
              http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...nloads&support

Tech had to take the old card for core charge return.

I run TV in THX mode with settings I got from Tweak TV and CNET. Tech prefers Game Mode but I find this a little too amped up on color etc.... Maybe I'll play with settings a little...

So in the end I could have repaired this myself but I learned along the way, saved a little on labor and let the repair shop assume the risk and provide a short warranty. Since I didn't buy the extended warranty I guess I just did with the labor charge.... (justify in my head)

Now hopefully all runs well for a good long time to come...

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Thanks again for the guidance! This thread was extremely helpful!

This extra detail of the sc2 ohm above 1k at 1.6kohm but still faulty and Vsus dropping out to 0 vs stable at @210v with sc2 plugged in may help others.... The transistors metered out ok but I suspect one was going short under load and tripping therefore Vsus ohm out ok but under load not really ok. Also a bonus that I found the blown 1000mf 230v cap on the P board.

TV looks great and I'm glad I repaired this plasma. I looked a little at new tv's over the weekend and many options (led backlit) didn't look too good (poor store settings???) and wash out off angle etc. if this lasts a while it's worth it and maybe OLED will become affordable in years to come...

Thanks again!!!!

Comment

Thanks tw2005 for your prior help. I had to drop troubleshooting for awhile owing to caring for 91 year old mom having Alzheimer's dementia. Here's the latest. I bought a DVM instead of using an old analog VOM to get a better reading on voltages. Since the current problem is SOS4, I first checked for shorts on P11 and P35. All good! Next checked 4 blink failure (slide 27). Definitely have 3V at pin 9 suggesting replacement of P board. Since P board is upstream from other boards, does it not make sense to replace it with the hope that it also corrects downstream problems? Of course, if a downstream board presents an increased load owing to a short, it could cause a new P board to go out again. Is there a way of disconnecting all connectors to the other boards and then checking connectors on each board one by one to verify that they are potentially functioning okay? Sure wish there was an obvious problem (blown resistor, swollen capacitor, etc).

Comment

Oh yes, I disconnected both SC2 and SC20 going to the SC board. Turning on TV causes change from SOS4 to SOS6. Reconnected the SC20 ribbon cable only and now TV goes to SOS7. I suspect this is what is expected if the SC board is working properly. I wasn't sure how to test resistance on the buffer boards per your prior advice.

Comment

Will start looking into repairing or replacing the P board, but will be looking for any advice prior to this move.

Comment

Keep forgetting. The resistance across SC2 was ~ 4 megohms.

Comment

Originally posted by FARM60 View Post
                            Will start looking into repairing or replacing the P board, but will be looking for any advice prior to this move.
                            No, it's not the P board. You have a shorted SC board. That's why you disconnect it from the SC to prove it. Sure it's 4 megohm?

They don't always go dead short there but a SOS4 cleared after disconnecting the Sc is a good sign the SC is the cause.

Grab the meter and see if Q661 is shorted, that's one that always seems to go if the SC is dead.

You could disconnect the SC2, SS11,P35 and the 3 white ribbons that come from the A board and go to the C and SC boards.

TV should turn on and stay on, no picture. Could check voltages at PSU then, be a bout 200v at P2 or P11. Don't reconnect those power cables up straight away or ypu'll spike the boards or panel. let sit for 5mins or so.

I'm thinking you need a SC, TNPA5081AP if it's a GT25 or AF if G20 but either would work.

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/...pa5081&x=0&y=0

I'd be asking why they charge so much for an AF repair compared to and AP or the 54" no revision board though.

They really should be all priced the same. They all fail the same, parts are the same as far as repair goes and if anything the 54 has more transistors.

You do need to check the SD/SU boards and make sure they have not shorted as they can on occasions and will destroy a new SC if they are and you don't check and install.
                            Last edited by tw2005; 09-06-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the expert feedback. I'll perform the suggested testing in the morning.

Comment

You were absolutely right. It does seem to be the SC board and Q661 seems to be shorted out. I'l start looking around for a replacement. Is it difficult to swap out this board? Looks like some jumpers to the SM board. Also, once the SC is replaced, do you update the firmware using an internet connection to the TV and using the TV's built in firmware update software or must one get firmware on a flash drive from Panasonic?

Hope you will consider sending me your mailing address via email (pfarmer@emory.edu). I'd like to send a token of my appreciation for your excellent help. I've learned a few things in troubleshooting this TV.

Comment

my panasonic 42as630 red blinking a lot with an interval of 3 sec but not turning on

Comment

Originally posted by abhinav0226 View Post
                                    my panasonic 42as630 red blinking a lot with an interval of 3 sec but not turning on
                                    That's not good, when you start a new thread on that particular model , it'll get discussed there.

Comment

Working...
                                    X