Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
    $480 to undo some screws, install a new board and screw a set back together is completely unreasonable in my opinion. It would take me around 30 minutes, so they're probably averaging somewhere around $300 to $400/hr... yeah I'd sure like to be paid that much too...
    I know. I'd like to have a crack at it. Looks pretty straight forward to me. Spoke to Panasonic again today. Still will not budge from paying only half of parts and labor. Our out of pocket expenses will be $302 for something that was THEIR sloppy manufacturing. ARGH! What if this problem happens again? The part is only covered for 90 days. Heck ShopJimmy dot com warranties their boards for 180 days.

Comment

Re: 55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

Originally posted by Berge20 View Post
      Enkidu12, any chance I could touch base with you on how you got the part? I am having the same problem and at least when I called Panasonic, they wanted to charge me 850 for a new one and said they didn't do refurbished ones. Maybe I called the wrong people (?) and it appears to be out of stock everywhere else I look. Can't PM you directly yet (I assume board rules require certain time/number of posts), so wanted to try here.
      I'd like to know as well if anyone has been successful recently in purchasing an SC board part#TXNSC1NVUU? I think the authorized Panasonic repair manager is stringing us along. He's been telling us for the last week now that this part is in transit. I'm wondering if this part even exists any longer. I'd love to know so we could just chalk this experience up as bad luck and move on. It's been over 2 weeks now without our plasma. I hate looking at it as a $1400 paperweight.

Comment

I have the TC-P46S2 No Power, No LED whatsoever blinking or otherwise. I have checked all fuses and all are in good working order. I have verified that I have standby power but when I hit power button I get zilch. I have no remote for the t.v so unable to test my theory of a faulty power button at this time.

No power at all would be easier for me to handle than standby only. All caps look fine no damage to circuits that I am able to see.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a newbie be gentle.

Comment

Originally posted by gideon277 View Post
          I have the TC-P46S2 No Power, No LED whatsoever blinking or otherwise. I have checked all fuses and all are in good working order. I have verified that I have standby power but when I hit power button I get zilch. I have no remote for the t.v so unable to test my theory of a faulty power button at this time.

No power at all would be easier for me to handle than standby only. All caps look fine no damage to circuits that I am able to see.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a newbie be gentle.
          Best to start a separate new post. If you have any other panasonic TVs, remote should work for the basics.

maybe missing 3.3v?

Extract from training guide
          "When the TV is plugged in:
          AC is applied to the standby circuit in the power supply to produce STB5V.
          The STB5V is provided to the A board via connectors P7 (Pin 1).
          The STB5V from pin1 of connector P7 is applied to a 3.3V regulator to power the Main CPU (IC8001) on the A board. This energizes and prepare the microprocessor (CPU) for program execution.
          The 3.3V from the voltage regulator besides being applied to the CPU, is also applied to the remote control receiver and the power LED on the K board through connector A1/K1 (pin 3).If the STB5V is missing, the TV is dead (No power)"
          Last edited by tw2005; 08-24-2013, 07:41 AM.

Comment

There is a rule that limits my ability to start an entirely new post. I have standby power. When you say missing 3.3v? What am I looking at? Is that the volts sent to take the t.v out of standby mode and actually turn on?

Comment

Originally posted by zarahlin View Post
              I'd like to know as well if anyone has been successful recently in purchasing an SC board part#TXNSC1NVUU? I think the authorized Panasonic repair manager is stringing us along. He's been telling us for the last week now that this part is in transit. I'm wondering if this part even exists any longer. I'd love to know so we could just chalk this experience up as bad luck and move on. It's been over 2 weeks now without our plasma. I hate looking at it as a $1400 paperweight.
              I ended up finding these (the SC board mentioned and the related two boards on that half of the tv) on Ebay/random parts website. Not sure if I got lucky, but they worked.

Was able to do the replacement myself (no real experience with this stuff besides assembling my own computers from ordered parts) with good write-ups and YouTube videos. Took me a little longer than it would a tech guy who does it for a living, but not all that long.

Of course, less than 6 months later, I fear that one of these is about to go again. Hearing the loud and varying buzzing sound mentioned at the beginning of this thread.....ugh. Tightening all screws now, but starting the lookout process for parts again.

Comment

Hey guys,
                looking for some advice.
                I have a 20 month old tc-p55gt31, was watching it a couple days ago and the set made a click noise like someone just powered the tv off. I tried to power it back on and now im getting 7 blinking lights. After everything I have read, it looks like the sc board might be the problem. I do not have a m/m reader, is there any other testing I can do to narrow it down to which board could be bad? I think I seen a thread where if you unhook everything on the sc board, turn the tv on and it should blink 6 times if the sc board is bad. I have tried this, but I get 8 blinks with the sc board completely disconnected.
                any advice?
                Panasonic says the boards are on back order and wont ship out until January.

Comment

Of course im trying to avoid the situation where I install a new sc board and end up blowing it because something else is the issue. I found a good deal on the sd and su boards. would I be better off replacing all three?

Comment

Originally posted by fman3 View Post
                    Of course im trying to avoid the situation where I install a new sc board and end up blowing it because something else is the issue. I found a good deal on the sd and su boards. would I be better off replacing all three?
                    Hello,

Where did you find the "good deal"?

Thanks!

Comment

Why doesn't Panasonic acknowledge that they have faulty boards in these TV's or why hasn't there been a class action lawsuit filed against them? My 55 inch Viera is 21 months old and the red blinking light of death just happened to me. Panasonic states that there is no extension of the warranty but will make an accommodation if I get an evaluation from a qualified Panasonic technician (which is 40 miles away from where I live) and send it along with a copy of my sales receipt to them. It appears that Panasonic is aware of the issue but won't take responsibility for the problem since it has occurred to so many of their TV's!

Comment

Because they're a business, and businesses act -only- to make money. They wouldn't make money if they had to pay to fix these sets.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi,
                          Thank goodness I found this thread. I bought my P55GT30 back in July 2011 and love the TV. I want to ask this because before I try all the different steps mentioned in this thread I wanted to see if I have the right symptoms. Basically a couple weeks ago I would notice that as I switched channels I would see some weird ghost images around the edges of my screen. They were static images of a previous channel. I thought nothing of it and ussually turning the TV off an on would fix it. I guess I didn't want to believe that I was having problems on my fairly new TV.

In addition, sometimes when we would turn on the XBOX 360, the whites would be washed out with some more ghosting and flickering. If we let it run for a while it would eventually clear up or do the on and off trick which would fix it. As the weeks went by I wouldn't say it became problematic but it happened enough that the whole family might experience the problem here and there but once the TV got "warmed up" we wouldn't see the problem for the rest of that day.

Fast forward to right now when my wife went to turn on Spongebob for the kids and she said that the TV just went dead. I had her unplug it for a while and plug it back in and she noticed the 7 blinks. The TV worked fine yesterday.

I didn't read on this thread anyone that mentioned they had similar image problems prior to their tv dying, so I'm not sure if I'm still a candidate to try the different fixes or if this is something different because I had these image problems. Thanks again for any in put.

Comment

Originally posted by rfedeleo View Post
                            Hi,
                            Thank goodness I found this thread. I bought my P55GT30 back in July 2011 and love the TV. I want to ask this because before I try all the different steps mentioned in this thread I wanted to see if I have the right symptoms. Basically a couple weeks ago I would notice that as I switched channels I would see some weird ghost images around the edges of my screen. They were static images of a previous channel. I thought nothing of it and ussually turning the TV off an on would fix it. I guess I didn't want to believe that I was having problems on my fairly new TV.

In addition, sometimes when we would turn on the XBOX 360, the whites would be washed out with some more ghosting and flickering. If we let it run for a while it would eventually clear up or do the on and off trick which would fix it. As the weeks went by I wouldn't say it became problematic but it happened enough that the whole family might experience the problem here and there but once the TV got "warmed up" we wouldn't see the problem for the rest of that day.

Fast forward to right now when my wife went to turn on Spongebob for the kids and she said that the TV just went dead. I had her unplug it for a while and plug it back in and she noticed the 7 blinks. The TV worked fine yesterday.

I didn't read on this thread anyone that mentioned they had similar image problems prior to their tv dying, so I'm not sure if I'm still a candidate to try the different fixes or if this is something different because I had these image problems. Thanks again for any in put.
                            I also had image problems. It would distort (colors and pixels) very badly, sometimes the entire image was corrupted.

Some tapping on the back of the TV (near the SC board) would temporarily resolve the problem. It got worse and worse until last night, it finally died and now I also have the 7 blinks. I have the TV disassembled and will follow the diagnostic steps in this thread tonight and get back to you with which board I suspect is defective.

Comment

apazzolini, I started another thread here:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33254

Do the SC50 jumper test mentioned in this thread to determine if it is SC or the other 2 cards attached to it. Also you can test the SC2 connection on the SC card with a multimeter to see if it is shorted.

I did this test after doing the SC50 test and that just reconfirmed the SC card as the culprit. At least for now... I am going to send it out to be repaired. This is mentioned in the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by zarahlin View Post
                                Why not buy the repair kit on Ebay and, replace the known Mosfets? I bought 2 of these kits and worked perfect. BUT, you need to check your buffers, to make sure one or more of the IC's are not shorted or, you will be right back to square 1. (Testing the buffers or as panasonic calls SU and SD. Using a Multimeter set to Diode mode. Place the + lead onto one of the pads where the buffer attaches to SC Board and run the - lead along the ribbon connector where the SU or SD connects to the panel, in a zipper like fashion to ensure that one or more of the IC's are not shorted. You will also need to test the Mosfets on the SD and SU to make sure they are not shorted. I would think that possibly one or more are shorted which caused the SD to fail.

Hope this helps

Also, it is helpful to reset the TV by holding the power button for 10 Seconds + to reset the SOS
                                This Forum absolutely the best and, the most helpful forum I have ever found anywhere. thanks to all the fantastic members here
                                Help keep these from the landfills

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                                  you can get 6 or 7 with the SC.

The meter results are a bit strange in the sense that you should get a reading usually 0.7 in diode mode. getting nothing makes me wonder if you're getting connection at the connectors.

I'll grab a good buffer I've got and confirm even though it's a different board the operation is the same.

I like the SC board bypass test for confirmation. that is the connector SC50(2 pins) short together, I use an alligator clip across them and power up. If the Sc is good the set will power on with no picture and no SOS blink. If it still blinks 6 or 7 then I'd go SC bad.

This is done with the 3 buffer board connectors removed incuding the 4 earth bolts on the buffer boards removed too.

Alternatively if the board is out bell out all the IGBT transistors and see if there are any dead shorts.

I just finished battling with a SC rebuild and just before it was finally fixed I had issues and swapped out one of the octal buffer chips at SC20 and it made it go back to SOS7 so that was something learnt that you can have nothing shorted and get a SOS7.

I'll have to see if there's a training guide for this series in case they've change something.
                                  I too am attempting to conquer the 7 blinking death lights. My TC-P55GT31 (July 2011 build) just died. I will have used it for two years in three days. Thank you guys so much for this thread. It's awesome, but at the same time sad that Panasonic is not taking responsibility for such a common issue.

I isolated the SC board and my blinks went from 7 to 8 just as explained. So, I am in the market for an SC.

My question is for testing the SD/SU boards. I am assuming for these tests I reconnect everything on the SC board, and only disconnect the connections explained in the repair manual? I don't see where it states this in the manual. Also, I don't see where is says what the LED blinks are supposed to do when isolating the SU/SD...how do I know if they are good or bad? I don't want to take a chance blowing the SC again for a bad SU/SD. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by KLaird View Post
                                    I too am attempting to conquer the 7 blinking death lights. My TC-P55GT31 (July 2011 build) just died. I will have used it for two years in three days. Thank you guys so much for this thread. It's awesome, but at the same time sad that Panasonic is not taking responsibility for such a common issue.

I isolated the SC board and my blinks went from 7 to 8 just as explained. So, I am in the market for an SC.

My question is for testing the SD/SU boards. I am assuming for these tests I reconnect everything on the SC board, and only disconnect the connections explained in the repair manual? I don't see where it states this in the manual. Also, I don't see where is says what the LED blinks are supposed to do when isolating the SU/SD...how do I know if they are good or bad? I don't want to take a chance blowing the SC again for a bad SU/SD. Thank you in advance for the assistance.
                                    The safest way is to resistance test them. Since your SC is cactus there's no other way really.

Hopefully you have a multimeter capable of measuring 6 megohms or a little higher, and diode or continuity mode.

disconnect any of the connectors from the SC and the interconnecting ribbon between the SD/SU.

As a real quick check you could test for short cct between the gnd pads at the screw mounts and any of the pins listed. Any shorts, the board is bad.

They can go low in resistance so if no shorts are found then measure the resistance as the second step.

I don't have real data but as guide this is what I expect measuring to gnd.
                                    Do it insitu, leaving the panel hooked up as reseating those can be tricky.

SU41

pins
                                    2: VF5V 5-6Megohms
                                    6: V SCN-F around 200Kohms
                                    8: VFO around 2 megohms

SD42

pins
                                    1: VFO around 2 megohms
                                    2: V SCN-F around 200Kohms
                                    6: VF5V 5-6Megohms
                                    Last edited by tw2005; 01-12-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

First post to the boards, so hello everyone!

This may have already been covered but I think I have already read this entire thread sooo...If Panasonic is selling refurb boards, it stands to reason that these boards can be repaired, right?

Has anyone tried to identify the point of failure on the SC boards? What would I need to do so?

Most have stated that they hear a pop or click which I assume is just the relays clicking on the shutdown.

I have a TC-P55VT30 that died on me with the 7 blinks of death. I read through the service manuals last night, and I am fairly confident that my SU/SD boards are okay still not sure about the SC.

I don't see any visible signs of damage to the board, so it's not obvious which component on the board has failed.

The only SC board that I have found that's available is $200. Everyone else seems to be out of stock.

Any ideas on a resource for purchasing an SC for around $100-130 in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                                        The safest way is to resistance test them. Since your SC is cactus there's no other way really.

Hopefully you have a multimeter capable of measuring 6 megohms or a little higher, and diode or continuity mode.

disconnect any of the connectors from the SC and the interconnecting ribbon between the SD/SU.

As a real quick check you could test for short cct between the gnd pads at the screw mounts and any of the pins listed. Any shorts, the board is bad.

They can go low in resistance so if no shorts are found then measure the resistance as the second step.

I don't have real data but as guide this is what I expect measuring to gnd.
                                        Do it insitu, leaving the panel hooked up as reseating those can be tricky.

SU41

pins
                                        2: VF5V 5-6Megohms
                                        6: V SCN-F around 200Kohms
                                        8: VFO around 2 megohms

SD42

pins
                                        1: VFO around 2 megohms
                                        2: V SCN-F around 200Kohms
                                        6: VF5V 5-6Megohms
                                        I am suspecting that both my SU and SD boards are bad as well. Let me double check my results to make sure I am doing it correctly on these. By the way, I am using a fluke 87 Multimeter.

I disconnected SC connections to the SD and SU as well as the SU/SD ribbon. All tests are from one of the ground pads where the screws mounts are and the pins on the SU41 and SD42 connectors. I am not sure the pinouts, so I am considering that if I am at the base of the TV and the top of the TV is away from me, then pin 1 is the top most pin.

I had continuity on pin 2 of SU41 which measured 16 ohms. Pin 8 measured 7 M ohms. All of the other pins measured Open or OL. The short means my SU is bad.

I had no continuity on any pins on SD42. Pins 2 and 4 measured 7 M ohms. All of the other pins measured open.

Are my boards bad, or am I doing something wrong??

Comment

Originally posted by l1nk3d View Post
                                          First post to the boards, so hello everyone!

This may have already been covered but I think I have already read this entire thread sooo...If Panasonic is selling refurb boards, it stands to reason that these boards can be repaired, right?

Has anyone tried to identify the point of failure on the SC boards? What would I need to do so?

Most have stated that they hear a pop or click which I assume is just the relays clicking on the shutdown.

I have a TC-P55VT30 that died on me with the 7 blinks of death. I read through the service manuals last night, and I am fairly confident that my SU/SD boards are okay still not sure about the SC.

I don't see any visible signs of damage to the board, so it's not obvious which component on the board has failed.

The only SC board that I have found that's available is $200. Everyone else seems to be out of stock.

Any ideas on a resource for purchasing an SC for around $100-130 in the US?
                                          It's amazing how many people are searching for these boards and Panasonic doesn't think there is a problem! None of the boards I need are in stock...not even the refurbs. I have seen a couple of people offering to refurbish the boards for me for around $100. I have also seen some rebuild kits. I am not sure how much I trust either of those options.

Comment

Working...
                                          X