Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

I haven't read through all 15 pages of this thread, and it is late, so for now this advice can be taken with a grain of salt

However, I have a very similar model Panny , and I was having what seems to be similar troubles. I was diverted by a defect in the panel, but this was not the culprit. What finally fixed my set was getting a complete set of SU/SD and SC from a working set. Replacing buffers individually did not work. I was debugging here, and I don't think that's the end result the experts were concluding, but ultimately it is what fixed this particular set. Still working to this day , as it is "my" TV

As TW said, I don't think the A board would be part of the problem.

Comment

Re: 55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

No blinking death lights but my 55gt30 is being troublesome.

Last week we were in the middle of watching a show and the tv shut off on it's own. Remote would not work, power button on the tv would not work. No clicks, buzzes or blinking lights.
      Unplugged for 10 minutes, air-canned all the holes on the back, still completely dead. Came back 40 minutes later and it turns on and works as it had for the last three years with no signs of anything amiss.

That exact scenario happened again last night.

Since no blinking happens and the tv ends up working perfectly after waiting I'm assuming it's overheating and self preserving as a failsafe? I haven't read anything suggesting anyone else has experienced this problem.
      Should I position a small fan to continuously blow air across the back?

The tv is wall mounted, the middle about 8 inches away from the wall, the bottom is 18 inches above the components, nothing to the sides. It's mounted to the support wall of the house and there are not heating vents anywhere near it. Basically I'm saying there's no heat from anything else and this thing has PLENTY of breathing room.

Suggestions/ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by pepsiaddict View Post
        No blinking death lights but my 55gt30 is being troublesome.

Last week we were in the middle of watching a show and the tv shut off on it's own. Remote would not work, power button on the tv would not work. No clicks, buzzes or blinking lights.
        Unplugged for 10 minutes, air-canned all the holes on the back, still completely dead. Came back 40 minutes later and it turns on and works as it had for the last three years with no signs of anything amiss.

That exact scenario happened again last night.

Since no blinking happens and the tv ends up working perfectly after waiting I'm assuming it's overheating and self preserving as a failsafe? I haven't read anything suggesting anyone else has experienced this problem.
        Should I position a small fan to continuously blow air across the back?

The tv is wall mounted, the middle about 8 inches away from the wall, the bottom is 18 inches above the components, nothing to the sides. It's mounted to the support wall of the house and there are not heating vents anywhere near it. Basically I'm saying there's no heat from anything else and this thing has PLENTY of breathing room.

Suggestions/ideas?
        Best start your own thread on your specific issue and set.
        --This thread is rather more involved with repairing stuffed-up SC/SN boards of these sets....
        One thing I will say--It'll have to come down and the back removed for sure....
        TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
        http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
        PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

My TC-P55GT30 has the 7 blinks now. I tried the Troubleshooting chart, unplugged tv, removed SC20 and C20, and then turned the tv back on. It clicked and went to 8 blinks. The chart says to take the voltage reading at pin 1 of connector SC2, but I wasn't sure how to do this. Do I leave SC2 plugged in and touch the positive lead to the connection on the SC board where the white wire plugs in and the black lead to the chassis and turn tv on?

Also, since moduslink no longer repairs boards, is there another site?

Comment

Hey guys I'm hoping you can steer me in the right direction. I also have a Panasonic p55gt30 that just died a few days ago. No standby light, no response. It was plugged into a cheap Belkin strip that my pc, router, home theatre, modem, cable box and ps3 are all plugged into. About a month ago we had a power outage and it fried my power supply in my pc. Replaced the power supply and all was well again. I don't know if that is what caused my tv to die a month later but it's worth mentioning.

My tv has also always had this buzzing noise when the tv is displaying bright images like Google's home page. A tap or two on the back made it quiet down. Also, in the last few months when I turn it on, sometimes the colors are all messed up and fuzzy. Goes away shortly or again with a smack on the back of the tv.

That's the background info. Today I took the back off the tv hoping to spot a swollen cap or something burnt. I don't see anything but I've got basically zero circuit board experience. I did find that most of the boards had loose screws which was probably the source of the buzzing sound. Pisses me off that from the factory it's got loose screws and then I found one of the fans is missing a screw and post so it's super loose. The other has two mounting plastic posts with screws and this one only has two and you can move the fan around a lot. It's probably buzzing as well. Not cool Panasonic. Also, why are there 4 fan shaped vents and 4 mounting locations for fans when there's only two fans?

I found a service manual for this tv and it says what order to check the boards if there's no power and no standby light hut it doesn't say how to check them. So I'm stumped at this point. Don't want to damage anything by going any further without more guidance.

I've googled like crazy and read several pages of this thread but all I find is people with the 7 blinks symptom and mine has no light so I think it's probably a different problem.

Thanks
            Kimo

Comment

Originally posted by kimokalihi View Post
              Hey guys I'm hoping you can steer me in the right direction. I also have a Panasonic p55gt30 that just died a few days ago. No standby light, no response. It was plugged into a cheap Belkin strip that my pc, router, home theatre, modem, cable box and ps3 are all plugged into. About a month ago we had a power outage and it fried my power supply in my pc. Replaced the power supply and all was well again. I don't know if that is what caused my tv to die a month later but it's worth mentioning.

My tv has also always had this buzzing noise when the tv is displaying bright images like Google's home page. A tap or two on the back made it quiet down. Also, in the last few months when I turn it on, sometimes the colors are all messed up and fuzzy. Goes away shortly or again with a smack on the back of the tv.

That's the background info. Today I took the back off the tv hoping to spot a swollen cap or something burnt. I don't see anything but I've got basically zero circuit board experience. I did find that most of the boards had loose screws which was probably the source of the buzzing sound. Pisses me off that from the factory it's got loose screws and then I found one of the fans is missing a screw and post so it's super loose. The other has two mounting plastic posts with screws and this one only has two and you can move the fan around a lot. It's probably buzzing as well. Not cool Panasonic. Also, why are there 4 fan shaped vents and 4 mounting locations for fans when there's only two fans?

I found a service manual for this tv and it says what order to check the boards if there's no power and no standby light hut it doesn't say how to check them. So I'm stumped at this point. Don't want to damage anything by going any further without more guidance.

I've googled like crazy and read several pages of this thread but all I find is people with the 7 blinks symptom and mine has no light so I think it's probably a different problem.

Thanks
              Kimo
              Sounds like a very similar problem to what I am experiencing, I will begin a new thread.

Comment

I am having a similar problem with my 2011 gt30, it started with the 7 blink issue, then I had replaced the SC board (bought a supposedly new board from a china supplier via ebay). when I replaced this board, the 7 blinks went away and the tv powered on - with picture issues. the TV is working to some extent, all inputs work, however, the colors are quite intense making for a bad picture, and when I select vivid mode, the TV will shut down and give an 8 blink SOS. I can reset and repeat this. One other note, it appears that the 3d picture is OK (however, I do not have 3d glasses to confirm), but the oversaturation goes away in 3d mode. Also, the general color tests in the service mode appear to be fine. Basic text appears fine as well. Please let me know if you have any ideas, or direction on this. I have not checked any TP's yet, rather taken the board swap approach. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                  bell out all the IGBT transistors and see if there are any dead shorts.
                  Hi All

Been asked to look at Panasonic TXP46GT30B with 7 blinks, the SC board has 7
                  shorted IGBT'S Question is replacing these is it likely to be just them, or other issues.
                  There is a listing on Ebay for a kit and it says if there is a short on Cap842 there
                  are other problems, on the board in this set there is no short.

Also, I have never removed any of these can they be removed with a conventional soldering iron or do they need hot air gear

Thanks for your time and expertise.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by crt man View Post
                    Hi All

shorted IGBT'S Question is replacing these is it likely to be just them, or other issues.
                    There is a listing on Ebay for a kit and it says if there is a short on Cap842 there

Also, I have never removed any of these can they be removed with a conventional soldering iron or do they need hot air gear

Alan
                    You can repair these with just a soldering iron but to avoid any damage to the board or the new IGBT s when fitting I would recommend pre heating the board to about 120 degrees c before removal and at replacement. My ERSA IR500A has a bottom pre heater built in but you can get stand alone ones on e bay now for not a lot of money, essential for reworking SMD s .

Comment

Hi All

Alan
                      Decent iron with a good tip should do it. That's all I've used. I either snip the legs, then tin the tab on the IGBT, run the iron back and forth and eventually it will start bubbling down the sides and just lift off. No force required, you'll know when it's free. Alternative is to heat each leg and lift it up gently, bit of wick , then free the body as before.

So what are we looking at? 3 x 30F131, 3x RJP30H2 & a RJP63G4?

I've had one success and 1 fail replacing just IGBTs.

I suspect looking at the cct, a short across C842 may indicate buffer board shorts. You should be checking these first given their scarcity and cost if shorted

Comment

I suspect looking at the cct, a short across C842 may indicate buffer board shorts. You should be checking these first given their scarcity and cost if shorted
                        Hi,
                        There is no short across C842, also checked buffer board cannot find any short
                        on them.

Alan.

Comment

So what are we looking at? 3 x 30F131, 3x RJP30H2 & a RJP63G4?
                          Hi.

It's worse than I thought just checked again and there is,
                          30F131 X 3 RFN20 X 3 RJP30H2 X 3 DAF30A, RF1501, RPN10.

Ouch. don't know to repair or another board.

Alan.

Comment

Hi.

It's worse than I thought just checked again and there is,
                            30F131 X 3 RFN20 X 3 RJP30H2 X 3 DAF30A, RF1501, RPN10.

Ouch. don't know to repair or another board.

Alan.
                            Ok. So which of those is the 7th IGBT?

The RPN10 will be RFN10NS3S. The tail end is significant as it tells us it's a 300V, single diode configuration,common cathode, the beginning suggests 10A rating.

After reading the datasheet, It's actually 350V.

same deal with RFN20, will be RFN20NS3S. 20Amp version

I'd remove or just desolder and lift the legs up of those 6 IGBTs, go back and retest those diodes.

I think you'll find they're ok.

This may not be the best advice and it's a gamble you'll have to way up but there's a chance replacing just those 30F131 & RJP30H2 could get this going if nothing else is bad like Q661 RJP63G4, Q600 C08N25 FET, & the gate resistors on those blown IGBTs,
                            Last edited by tw2005; 02-05-2016, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Hi

Thanks, I will lift the IGBT's and will report back when done.

Alan.

Comment

Right

After another look it seems like 30F131 X 3 Q401-3 and RJP30H2A X 3 Q421-3
                                nothing else so a lot better.

Alan

Comment

Right

After another look it seems like 30F131 X 3 Q401-3 and RJP30H2A X 3 Q421-3
                                  nothing else so a lot better.

Alan
                                  Success replacing Q401-3 and Q421-3 on this set has it working again.

Thanks TW2005 for your help, I was worried about doing it as this is the
                                  first time I have tried to do one.

Alan.

Comment

Success replacing Q401-3 and Q421-3 on this set has it working again.

Thanks TW2005 for your help, I was worried about doing it as this is the
                                    first time I have tried to do one.

Alan.
                                    Nice, yeah, I know what you mean because there's a degree of luck the drivers were ok. My ST30 is running pretty good with the same replaced and did not even use the OEM parts.

FGD4536TM x 6 but they're quite a bit smaller but it's achievable DPAK where the 30F131 are D2PAK.

lucky to get away with it as it was my error but turned out pretty good.
                                    In another TV they've done 13 months work

360V 50A, 220A pulsed and designed with PDP applications in mind going by the datasheet.

Comment

TW2005 , Do you know if these IGBT's in these VT/GT/ST models are also found in other SC boards? For example 2009/2010 models?
                                      I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                                        TW2005 , Do you know if these IGBT's in these VT/GT/ST models are also found in other SC boards? For example 2009/2010 models?
                                        Not that I know of, 2011 onwards as they went SMD

Comment

Checked a 2009 panasonic that i use for testing and it does not have these IGBT's. Ordered them all from eBay........bad thing , need to wait a week/2 weeks!
                                          I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Working...
                                          X