Toshiba 57H83 Convergence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba 57H83 Convergence

I've read every thread I could find on this topic, and have a couple of specific questions to ask before I tear the set open. My convergence issue only occurs at the top middle of the screen, and only a single gun, horizontal. Originally, I could let the set warm up for ~10 minutes, then power off and back on, and the picture would be fine. Eventually, just left the set on but turned volume down and went to a black screen input, and this worked fine for about 2 months. Wife powered down, one day, and problem is now incurable.

Today, I ordered 2ea STK-394-160 convergence chips, but need to know which peripheral components I need. Can't find schematics on the web.

Based on what I gleaned from answers to other posts, I believe I need the following:
    -6ea 1.2 ohm metal oxide resistors (maybe only 1 questionable),
    -maybe 2 or 3 caps, ref C809, C810, and what else? What are the values?
    -picofuses. What are values, and how many? Are these soldered in? How sensitive to heat?

I'll appreciate any help you can provide. -- Fred

Re: Toshiba 57H83 Convergence

Schematics: http://elektrotanya.com/

Enter Brand and Model. There are 2 listed for yours. Downloads are limited to 2 per 24 hours, so you're in luck.

Q

Comment

Originally posted by Quasar View Post
      Schematics: http://elektrotanya.com/

Enter Brand and Model. There are 2 listed for yours. Downloads are limited to 2 per 24 hours, so you're in luck.

Q
      Registered users have unlimited downloads. Registration is free, and I have not had the email account I used hit with spam.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I tried to register after the link you provided in my Panasonic Plasma thread, and it said "By invitation only from a member".

Q

Comment

Wow, Quasar! I got the 2 downloads I needed. I've been searching the Internet for a long time, and all I had to do was to find you. I'll now be able to order the components I need. Thanks, very much. ~Fred

Comment

whats a "convergence"?

Comment

these sets are usually full of bad solder joints and dried out caps in the hypermodule.if you want to keep it go over it with a fine toothed comb.and for shove convergence systems ensure all 3 colors are perfectly overlaid so you dont have colored outlines on the picture.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fdoyen View Post
                Wow, Quasar! I got the 2 downloads I needed. I've been searching the Internet for a long time, and all I had to do was to find you. I'll now be able to order the components I need. Thanks, very much. ~Fred
                Not taking any credit, just glad to assist. PlainBill is the source of that site to me.

There are other threads about these module's problems, but not on this specific model. Use the forum search for "toshiba convergence". >>> 14 threads !!

Follow kc8adu's advice here. Look for his and Wizard's responses in the other threads from the search.

Q

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                  whats a "convergence"?
                  That's when brain cells get together, resulting in intelligence.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Dangerous waters for some.

Comment

If you want dried out caps, I've got a 1944 Motorola radio and a 1951 Altec amplifier for you (I'm wondering why they never put grease fittings on them?).

Thanks to you, as well, PlainBill. ~Fred

Comment

Oops! Went to the schematic, and the convergence chips are STK394-250. I ordered STK394-160, and they've been shipped. I paid $40, and if I return them, I get back $15 (after 25% restocking and $9 shipping).

Does anyone need 2 STK394-160s? Pay shipping and they're yours.

The Toshiba part is 23135040, is obsolete, and the replacement part is Toshiba 23135040X. Can anyone advise the difference? The equivalent part is Japanese Semi's STK394-250. Toshiba part is $35.62 and Japanese Semi's is $19.95. Do you think the Japanese Semi's part may be a knockoff? The vendor is Tritronix/Encompass. Should I bite the bullet and go Toshiba?

Comment

I'd return the wrong parts and get the correct ones. Call the supplier (you never said who) now and tell them the error. A lot of those policies are to scare folks off. Few people ever get hit with a restock fee when they are swapping a wrong number for a correct one. Mistakes happen and they (supplier) know it. They'd have a bad rep if they whacked everyone a restock fee.

Google STK394-250. There are a bunch of better prices. MCM, bdent (B&D), Liberty.

LOOK at the casing in those pictures. Knockoffs will not look like those.

Get the Sanyo's

Q

Comment

Quasar, the vendor is Tritronix/Encompass, which someone on this board highly recommended. I called them before I sent the last post, trying to cancel the order. The parts had shipped, and my account has been charged. The parts are mine, now.

Tritronix does not have Sanyo in this part. They have Toshiba, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Japanese Semi, and others, but no Sanyo. Could the Toshiba, Hitachi and Mitsubishi parts be made by Sanyo? ($35, $32 and $80 respectively)

The Toshiba 23135040 crosses to the STK394-250, but is obsolete.
                            The Toshiba 23135040X also crosses to the STK394-250, and is available.
                            If the 23135040 and 23135040X are not the same part, how can they both cross to the STK394-250? What is in the Toshiba part that is not in the generic -250?

I'll search Google, but all the above came out of a Yahoo search.

Comment

Then I'll be sure to challenge any recommendations to use them for parts. Actually, I'd refuse the package and call my credit card company and initiate a chargeback. "Yes, I'm willing to pay the shipping, but to return an unopened package I should be entitled to a FULL refund." Understand that a chargeback will -COST- them $25-35 whether they are right or wrong. I'm not nice to companies who try to stick it up my ***.

I gave you 3 names of sites with cheaper and absolutely real Sanyo chips. No faker is going to the trouble of making -that- molded case.

http://www.bluestar-online.com/STK39...FWJo5QodT3MzhA

http://www.bdent.com/SearchResults.a...x=0&Search.y=0

MCM's item leaves me with questions. No pic of the item...?
                              http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STK394-250

http://www.libertye-online.com/servl...8Two%29/Detail

Q

Comment

send them to me if you dont want them.
                                easy fixes.real radios glow in the dark and warm the room.
                                Originally posted by fdoyen View Post
                                If you want dried out caps, I've got a 1944 Motorola radio and a 1951 Altec amplifier for you (I'm wondering why they never put grease fittings on them?).

Thanks to you, as well, PlainBill. ~Fred

Comment

i wouldnt bet on that.while i use the vendors listed and had no problems other than mcm there are a ton of fake and remarked stk's out there.
                                  Originally posted by Quasar View Post

I gave you 3 names of sites with cheaper and absolutely real Sanyo chips. No faker is going to the trouble of making -that- molded case.

http://www.bluestar-online.com/STK39...FWJo5QodT3MzhA

http://www.bdent.com/SearchResults.a...x=0&Search.y=0

MCM's item leaves me with questions. No pic of the item...?
                                  http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STK394-250

http://www.libertye-online.com/servl...8Two%29/Detail

Q

Comment

Hyper module. YES, replace 10uF caps. I use regular 10uF 50V capacitors with legs bent out 90 degrees and trimmed so legs is on the pads. Stand caps off the PCB about 2mm for room for your soldering iron. Make a strategy to replace these crowded caps in sequence of order in not to paint yourself into corner so to speak.

Redo lot of jumpers and resistors (check them too) in the convergence area and jumpers around the hyper module.

In my opinion terrible design.

Most reliable design were transistors based driving by a few ICs with stored convergence data. RCA used this in all their PTV TVs. Very reliable. I had not replaced any blown components in those. Only thing I had most trouble were power supply and main deflection/signal processing boards. That all. Saves large deal of work redoing the convergence.

I don't mind swapping out the CRTs and do the convergence. But I do not like pulling a board and replace convergence IC, resolder joints etc.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                      i wouldnt bet on that.while i use the vendors listed and had no problems other than mcm there are a ton of fake and remarked stk's out there.
                                      I could understand remarking/fakes on the "flat-pack" type of STK, that's just pad printing. Plus, we've been warned for a long time here about using reputable suppliers. So you're saying that even these, with the Sanyo design molded into the cover, could be fakes?
                                      Attached Files
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

if not already they will shortly.keyword is reputable supplier.
                                        Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                                        I could understand remarking/fakes on the "flat-pack" type of STK, that's just pad printing. Plus, we've been warned for a long time here about using reputable suppliers. So you're saying that even these, with the Sanyo design molded into the cover, could be fakes?

Comment

Working...
                                        X