X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

^
    It would be Group regulated, like 99% of PSUs from that era
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

nice thread

Comment

I got a few AT power supplies again. Here are the insides for anyone who might be interested.
        One is a standard AT Seasonic SSH-350G and a server grade High Precision Technologies (?) A1P2-40300N. Both quite old, but still kicking. Secondary caps might be failing, so I decided to check and maybe replace those.
        Attached Files

Comment

Delta DPS-600PP

270uF 450V x2 Nichicon GN primary units with 6.8uF 450V Rubycon YXA.
          2200uF 16V x2 Nichicon PW x3 on high current +12V rail.
          1200uF 6.3V Nichicon PW x3 before +5VSB regulator with 2200uF 6.3V Chemi-Con KY after it.
          220uF 25V Chemi-Con KY before -12V regulator with 100uF 16V Rubycon YXG after it.
          100uF 35V Chemi-Con KY before +18V control regulator with 100uF 25V Rubycon YXG after it.
          220uF 35V Chemi-Con KY for primary side control B+.
          All other electrolytic capacitors are Rubycon YXG or Chemi-Con KY.

S60SC6M rectifier with FDP047AN08A0 and SPP80N03S2L-05 pairs for synchronous rectifier on +12V rail.
          MBRB2060CT rectifer with STP40NF03L switch for +5VSB rail.
          SPP20N65C3 x2 with STTH806 PFC rectifier.
          SPP20N60C3 x2 main converter witn 2SC4242 isolated output driver.
          TOP246Y standby converter.

Also has Delta fan.
          Attached Files
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Tyco A157 power supply from a Sunfire V480. 1184W total rated output.
            Provides 48V @ 24.5A, or 1176W. 5.1V @ 1.5V for the total of 1184W.

Not a lot to it but then again it's basically two single voltage PSUs in a giant casing, not a bunch of voltages shoved into a small ATX form factor.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
              Tyco A157 power supply from a Sunfire V480. 1184W total rated output.
              Provides 48V @ 24.5A, or 1176W. 5.1V @ 1.5V for the total of 1184W.

Not a lot to it but then again it's basically two single voltage PSUs in a giant casing, not a bunch of voltages shoved into a small ATX form factor.

**snip**
              Did you take those pictures?! Wow, those are VERY good!
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Yeah, I did. I myself own a DSLR and flash so it's easy enough to get alright results or if I put effort in good results.

Another PSU though!

This thing is ancient, made in 1943 if date codes are to be believed. It's designed to supply power to a modified Hammarlund Super Pro. No idea if it works yet, I'm going to do a full rebuild of everything and then bring up a Variac.

Attached Files

Comment

Hello everyone.
                  I bought a Tacens case and it came with this PSU inside. I didn't use it much because the MB had an EPS12V connector and I used a Delta 450W server PSU instead.
                  I would like to know who manufactured this PSU (doesn't look like a Tacens) and if it's worth a silicon upgrade. I don't have good caps for it.

Box is plain grey with a 12cm fan covered with a wire grille. Fan is an Evercool EFS-12E12L. 12cm with white blades and black frame.
                  Label has got no UL number. Here it is:

An overview of the PSU. PFC coil is legit. The visible IC is an AZ7500EP. Secondary capacitors are not so purple.

Secondary and EMI filter board. The visible IC is a SDC339 (there are two IC's). The black wires going into the common-mode choke are from the NTC. All capacitors in the secondary are Nicon and a lone BH (not visible here).

Primary. The empty space on the bottom left corner of the PCB is where the PFC coil goes. All X and Y capacitors are fine but the red one. Bridge is a 4 amp KBL406. Caps are Cheng 470μF 200V. Neither a MOV nor an NTC were there. I suppose the PFC coil works as an inrush limiter.

Transformers. Size matches numbers on top. That cap next to the 5VSB is that BH I mentioned eariler. It's a 100μF 50V cap.

5VSB is generated from a two-transistor circuit with no electrolytic caps. The switcher is a BU3150AF 3 amp NPN BJT. Main switchers are 13007.

Output filtering. The 3 main outputs use 2x1000μF caps. Vertical inductors are tiny. -12V has got a 470μF cap. Both 5V and 3.3V use one SB2045CT each and 12V uses a MOSPEC F16C20C rectifier.

I pulled 25A from 12V with 6 dichroic lamps. No load on the other rails. It didn't fail, but voltage started at 10.90V and went downhill slowly till 10.60 as the rectifier derated. When I shut it down I checked temperatures in it. Transformer, PFC coil core, secondary heatsink and all 12V coils were hot. 12V caps were warm (possibly heat radiated from the coil) and primary switchers were warm.

Is it worth a silicon upgrade?
                  Attached Files
                  μ, Ω.

Comment

300W peak with those primary caps if the transistors were decent, 13009 for example.

13007 makes it a 250W unit.

The red capacitor is in parallel with the PFC coil, that's the reason it doesn't need to be X safety series, there wont be a fire if it fails shorted.

Originally posted by fanbus View Post

Output filtering. The 3 main outputs use 2x1000μF caps. Vertical inductors are tiny. -12V has got a 470μF cap. Both 5V and 3.3V use one SB2045CT each and 12V uses a MOSPEC F16C20C rectifier.
                    That's terrible especially for today's standards.

Originally posted by fanbus View Post

It depends. If you have better psus that need recap or repair if I were you I wouldn't bother with that.

In case you decide to mod it, it would be good to replace the primary caps with something better (2x680uF 200V), replace the 13007 BJTs with 13009 or equivalent, add an NTC inrush current thermistor from a dead psu and definitely replace the 12V 16A rectifier with 30A rectifier or add 16A rectifier in parallel if the pcb has space for a second one.

I would also replace the main output rail caps with 2x2200uF and make sure 5vsb has 2x1000uF.
                    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 04-05-2015, 06:15 AM.

Comment

A <$40 450W PSU of Pangu brand, Guangzhou Sanyang (or Sunyung). Caps are Fhy (Fuhjyyu?), Asia'x (definitely Fuhjyyu) & ChengX. The MOSFET is SemiHow HFH10N80, Schottky are Mospec MBR20100CT & S30C45C, supervisor - Sitronix ST9S313, PWM controllers -- STMicro Viper22A & Texas TL3845P.

Weird shit: the PFC is a lie. Components are not connected.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by amu; 04-05-2015, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by amu View Post
                        A <$40 450W PSU of Pangu brand, Guangzhou Sanyang (or Sunyung). Caps are Fhy (Fuhjyyu?), Asia'x (definitely Fuhjyyu) & ChengX. The MOSFET is SemiHow HFH10N80, Schottky are Mospec MBR20100CT & S30C45C, supervisor - Sitronix ST9S313, PWM controllers -- STMicro Viper22A & Texas TL3845P.

Weird shit: the PFC is a lie. Components are not connected.
                        That's nothing! Have you seen these? There are even fake PFC chokes!

(Pictures courtesy of Philipus II on the overclockers forum)
                        Attached Files
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Uhh Ben7 look at pictures 6 & 7 again and tell me how it could be any more fake?
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                            Uhh Ben7 look at pictures 6 & 7 again and tell me how it could be any more fake?
                            It has some copper windings on it xD

That other one doesn't even have any copper windings on it.
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hansson, it had about 10 windings, lol. It's unknown for what reason working components aren't connected.

Also, the fan is replaced with a silent one from Corsair case.
                              Last edited by amu; 04-05-2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                300W peak with those primary caps if the transistors were decent, 13009 for example.

13007 makes it a 250W unit.
                                I've got two 13009 TO-3P from another power supply. That one had a 5VSB with a 2-transistor circuit with no critical electrolytic. It had a swollen cap on the secondary though. That PSU managed to kill about 5 MB's (One survived when tested some months later)

The red capacitor is in parallel with the PFC coil, that's the reason it doesn't need to be X safety series, there wont be a fire if it fails shorted.
                                I supposed it was in parallel with the coil but I didn't check. I found a coil with the cap inside.

Originally posted by fanbus
                                That's terrible especially for today's standards.
                                I know. I'll upgrade all the caps at least in capacitance.

Originally posted by fanbus
                                It depends. If you have better psus that need recap or repair if I were you I wouldn't bother with that.
                                I've only got a Leadman POS that I'll just dump. But before, some pictures will be taken.

In case you decide to mod it, it would be good to replace the primary caps with something better (2x680uF 200V), replace the 13007 BJTs with 13009 or equivalent, add an NTC inrush current thermistor from a dead psu and definitely replace the 12V 16A rectifier with 30A rectifier or add 16A rectifier in parallel if the pcb has space for a second one.

I would also replace the main output rail caps with 2x2200uF and make sure 5vsb has 2x1000uF.
                                I've got 2x 680μF 200V OST caps and, as I stated earlier, two 13009 TO-3P transistors. I've got many fast and Schottky rectifiers lying around in my spare parts box. I'll get two for the +12V and one big 30A for 3.3V and 5V. I'll also try to replace the secondary PI filters to prevent the replacement caps from burning. I'll also move a cap away from the secondary heatsink. Do you think heatsinks need improvement?
                                μ, Ω.

Comment

I wouldn't replace the pi coils. The psu might start oscillating if it doesn't like the new coils.

The heatsinks are good for up to 400Watt depending on psu efficiency and thermal control of the fan.

Comment

The coils are tiny. They are about 1 cm tall.

Fan is quite slow but I may replace it or speed it up. It's not very noisy but it outputs a decent amount of air.
                                    μ, Ω.

Comment

Yes, but they have a core. I wouldn't touch them.

Comment

GPS - Green Power Supply [Topower] - PS-400XP F

"Green Power Supply" ... hm.

The UL number, E130843, identifies it as a Topower unit. Nice.

Caps:
                                        Primary - 2x 470uF 200V Matsushita/Panasonic UP
                                        Secondary - JENPO all the way!

Silicon:
                                        5VSTBY - Viper22A
                                        Main - Can only see markings on one transistor, it is a 2SC2625
                                        Rectification - MBR4045, P30D20C, SB2040CT, KBL406 (mains input)

Fans:
                                        2x Globe (Note, they have connectors on them, instead of being soldered to the board! Nice touch!)

Filtering: There are PI coils, not sure what rails they are on though.
                                        The AC input has one common mode choke, and two 470nF X type capacitors, and two real looking Y type caps, along with ceramic fuse, and NTC inrush limiter.

Control:
                                        Weltrend WT7520
                                        (Note the small transistor with a baby heatsink ... fan speed control maybe?)

Edit: Darn site is SO slow that I can't even see my own pictures!

-Ben
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by ben7; 04-11-2015, 01:57 PM.
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Quite dated design and the psu is not really able to output 400Watt. It is a 300W power supply.

Notice that it has a -5V rail. This thing is old!

The 5vsb controlled by viper22a is a great thing though.

Comment

Working...
                                          X