PC PSU damaged by lightning strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC PSU damaged by lightning strike

A friend got his PC zapped by a nearby lightning strike. Says Mobo, CPU and GPU are dead, he has tested them with another PSU and they don't work .

About the injured PSU, he says it just trips the house's residual-current circuit breaker whenever he switches it on.

He knows I like tinkering PSUs and has asked me if I could resuscitate his PSU. I've told him that after a strike that has screwed the whole PC, chances are his PSU is FUBAR .

What do you guys think? What have been your experiences dealing with lightning-damaged PSUs?

Re: PC PSU damaged by lightning strike

After a lightning strike I wouldn't even bother trying to fix it. I wouldn't be surprised if it ate some traces off the board and\or killed nearly everything in its path.

It would be fun to open just to assess the damage but I've seen a few lightning damaged things before and I wouldn't consider it worth the effort.

Comment

On the other hand......if you fix it you will learn something.
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

I want to see some pictures of the carnage

Here, lightning strikes almost always come through the phone line, which kills the ADSL Modem/router and/or Ethernet controller on the motherboard.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

seconded - foto's, lots of them!

Comment

I've told him not to junk the wreck, so next time I see him (he lives quite aways) I'll snatch the body for forensics .

Comment

no surge protector on wall outlet? It would have took the brunt of the hit.

Comment

Trips the RCD, you say? Some Y-caps failed short, perhaps?

Unless some sort of arcing "welded" the line or neutral to the case (which sounds a bit less likely)...
                Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Yeah may be something directly on filtration, MOV, X/Y caps etc.
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Khron666 View Post
                    Trips the RCD, you say? Some Y-caps failed short, perhaps?

Unless some sort of arcing "welded" the line or neutral to the case (which sounds a bit less likely)...
                    Yeah that's what I think. You know, Y-caps aren't completely fail-safe

Or perhaps it has fake Y-caps
                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i recall reading somewhere that X-caps were designed to fail open, and Y-caps to fail short. Or was it the other way around?
                      Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Originally posted by Khron666 View Post
                        Correct me if i'm wrong, but i recall reading somewhere that X-caps were designed to fail open, and Y-caps to fail short. Or was it the other way around?
                        Neither of them are meant to fail short. If they do, they could pose a fire and/or shock hazard!
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It was that usually ordinary ceramic caps go short. Metalized foil usually loose capacity and should not get shorted even if not safety (the foil vaporizes when there are mini-shorts internally untill most of the area disappears and it ceases to exist as a capacitor).

Safety caps should open in each case.
                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Third request! Pict of burnt PSUs if your friend give it next time
                            "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
                            Rudi
                            Thank You

Comment

Working...
                            X