• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT

Yes, replaced those.

Comment

Is there any small cap nearby?
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Yes, 2.2uF and 10uF. I replaced those too.

Comment

Outta ideas than, sorry…well, only one wild, maybe some shunt or resistor on feedback is bad, making the PS223 think it is overloaded?
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Hello Guys

I have a problem with my ENERMAX Liberty psu and dont want to use annother thread, so I abuse this one.

I have one bad cap on my ELT500AWT and want to recap it for better oc stability. I thought my P4C800E dlx has problems with oc stability, but know maybe the psu is the culprit.

I never had real problems with this psu. But maybe this cause these "all of the sudden pc turn offs" with all my 4 P4C800E dlx Boards. It was random, most time when I connect a usb device the pc turns immediately off and sometimes dont turn one for some time. Unplug the power cable of the psu and wait for 10 minutes solved the problem the most time. I never thought this was a psu problem because I thought Enermax was a very good psu manufacturer. I thought this was the common known "USB latchup" problem with or in the southbridge of the P4C800E dlx boards.

No matter what, now I want to replace the bad, and maybe all other big caps of my psu. The question is, what caps I need and where can I purchase them?

I marked the caps on the picture and here the information I can see:

1: P Ce-Tur 105°C 06-03 10V 3300uF
            2: CTC LLFM 105°C 10V 3300uF Vent 6076 (the broken one!)
            3: P Ce-Tur 105°C 06-03 10V 3300uF
            4: CTC LLFM 105°C 10V 3300uF Vent 6076
            5: CTC LLFM 105°C 16V 3300uF Vent 6076
            6: CTC LLKM 105°C 16V 3300uF Vent 6076
            7: P Ce-Tur 105°C 06-03 10V 1000uF Vent
            8: Ce-Tur 25 V (cannot see anything)
            9: CTC 105°C 10V 1500uF Vent 6076

These are only the bigger ones. Should I replace also the smaller ones?

Another question is how to solder this. I dont have any good tools, so I ask if I need better ones for the replacement of the caps. Also the solder quality is poor. When I disassembled the psu I broke a lug out of the circuit by shaking it to release a cable shoe there. No big match to repair this, but to braze the caps in and out I must solder in a very tight area with other components, It seems so the solder on the circuit is very brittle.

Greetings from Germany

TCC
            Attached Files
            Successfully repaired: Benq FP93GX+ (bad capacitor) / Samsung 2233RZ (bad inverter) / Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT (bad capacitors)

Comment

Replace all the caps, sooner rather than later they will become bad anyway. I can provide you with replacement capacitors, ATM I am the only supplier of high-quality 3300uF/16V D10 caps.

As for sodlering, I use 125W transformer solder iron and dental explorer .

Comment

Ok, sounds interesting. How much for a complete cap replacement kit for my psu and shipment to germany? What brands are your caps?
                Successfully repaired: Benq FP93GX+ (bad capacitor) / Samsung 2233RZ (bad inverter) / Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT (bad capacitors)

Comment

Seems to 100,18 CZK+115 CZK shipping. So something overo 8 E according to actual exchange. Should be there in a week or so, it's just the neighbour country after all

I got Samxon RS for the big ones and NCC KY/KYA for the smaller ones (up to 20 mm height).

Comment

One tip, if in the process of repairing your power supply you have to remove that long wire added to the bottom of the PC Board, be sure to reinstall it. It looks like it is there to improve to current carrying capacity of that trace. My guess is that the manufacturer used a PC Board from a lower power unit, and that trace is not adequate for the unit you have.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

@ Behemot:

Hm, its ok for me. You suggest to replace all 9 caps I marked on the picture, or all these countless tiny (lower then 10mm) caps on the other places on the psu circuit?

Just want to ask kindly if it is possible to fix the problem for me. Because atm I think I dont have the right tools to do this. If it is possible, how much do you want for the complete replacement of the caps, and maybe assemble it back together and test if it works correctly. (Don´t know how to test the psu, it worked until today, I just want to look inside and found the bad capacitor)

The problem is, I need this psu for my old Pentium 4 pc. Another User of this forum said that the boards of these generation need strong 3.3V lines. All modern psu available today don´t have such strong 3.3 V lines. Even the biggest Enermax 1500W+ psu´s dont have stronger 3.3V rails.

So I need a good old psu. I may buy such an ELT500AWT again on ebay for about 35 €, but I can never can be sure these things are in good condition.

Greets from Germany

TCC
                      Last edited by Tomcatciller; 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I can do that for ya, no problem, just the shipping costs will be somewhat higher. I'll drop ya PM.

Comment

Ok, I decided to do the cap replacement myself. I will purchase the caps from Behemot.

I have another question.

What influence can the damage of these 9 big caps of the psu have? What function have these 3300uF caps? Is there any interaction with the overclocking capability of the mainboard?

@ PeteS in CA:

I checked the backside of the psu circuit and marked the pin locations of the caps. You are right, for the one cap I need to solder in the area of the long wire. But is it really necessary to remove him completely? Is it not enough so remove the solder around the pin area of the cap and leave the long wire in place. It is just one pin which is located in the solder area of the long wire.

Greets

TCC

Comment

They filter output voltage to be smooth. High ripple is the usual cause of PSU and MoBo instability. If the problem is way too great, than feedback or stand by rail breakes and it ceases to start.

Comment

Ok, i just unsoldered the 9 caps to see how their condition is.

Beside the obvious bad cap 2, cap 4 and maybe cap 9 are bad.

Now I can give detail information about the original fitted caps:

1: P Ce-Tur 105°C 06-03 10V 3300uF (no damage visible)
                              2: CTC LLFM 105°C 10V 3300uF Vent 6076 (the obvious broken one)
                              3: P Ce-Tur 105°C 06-03 10V 3300uF (no damage visible)
                              4: CTC LFFM 105°C 10V 3300uF Vent 6076 (leakage on the bottom)
                              5: CTC LFFM 105°C 16V 3300uF Vent 6076 (no damage visible)
                              6: CTC LFKM 105°C 16V 3300uF Vent 6076 (no damage visible)
                              7: P Ce-Tur 105°C 06-03 10V 1000uF Vent (no damage visible)
                              8: P Ce-Tur 105°C 06-03 25V 470uF Vent (no damage visible)
                              9: CTC LFFM 105°C 10V 1500uF Vent 6076 ( a little bit baggy on top)

I am lucking forward to receive the new caps from Behemot.

Greets

TCC
                              Attached Files

Comment

I think the 1000 uF/10 V is for +5 V SB or -5 V and the 470 uF/25 V is for -12 V rail. So I calculated the price for 1200 uF/6,3 V and 680 uF/16 V, D8.

Comment

Hello again,

I discussed the replacement of all caps of the psu circuit with Behemot and came to the following replacement list. First the old caps -> second the new ones form Behemot:
                                  • P Ce-Tur 10V 3300uF D10x30 -> Samxon RS 3300 uF/16 V D10x30 mm
                                  • CTC 10V 3300uF D10x34 -> Samxon RS 3300 uF/16 V D10x30 mm
                                  • P Ce-Tur 10V 3300uF D10x29 -> Samxon RS 3300 uF/16 V D10x30 mm
                                  • CTC 10V 3300uF D10x34 -> Samxon RS 3300 uF/16 V D10x30 mm
                                  • CTC 16V 3300uF D10x34 -> Samxon RS 3300 uF/16 V D10x30 mm
                                  • CTC 16V 3300uF D10x34 -> Samxon RS 3300 uF/16 V D10x30 mm
                                  • P Ce-Tur 10V 1000uF D8x19 -> NCC KY 1200 uF/6,3 V, D8x20 mm
                                  • P Ce-Tur 25V 470uF D8x19 -> NCC KY 680 uF/16 V, D10x20 mm
                                  • CTC LFFM 10V 1500uF D10x25 -> NCC KY 1500 uF/6,3 V, D10x20 mm

I just want to know a third opinion about these replacement caps before I order them. Especially the use of lower voltage ones and the use of a bigger one on 8th place (marked red). Imho there is no place for a 10 mm diameter where a 8mm was before.

Greetings

TCC
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Tomcatciller; 09-17-2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I told ya, the KY 680 uF/16 V is D8. The two smaller caps are likely to filter -5 and -12 V.

Don't want to push ya but I will be out from office for a week for two. Can ship up to aprox. 11:00 today. On the other hand, I will bring one 500W Liberty for recap when I come back so I can have a more detailed look than.

Comment

The lower voltages will be fine too. The 10V caps are only going to see 5V at the most, so you can get away with replacing them with 6.3V caps.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Ok ok, I just send the money via Paypal 5 seconds ago.

I told ya, the KY 680 uF/16 V is D8.
                                        Hm all of these information are a little bit confusing to me.

First in this post you wrote:

1200 uF/6,3 V and 680 uF/16 V, D8
                                        But then yesterday 03.21 you wrote me a pm with:
                                        1x NCC KY 680 uF/16 , D10x20 mm
                                        1x NCC KY 1200 uF/6,3 V, D8x20 mm
                                        And then Yesterday, 08:24 via a PM you wrote me:

Oh, typo, that 1200 uF/6,3 V is D8, not D10, my bad
                                        These are all informations I had form you. So I was a little but confused what I will get and what will fit. Sorry about that confusing.

Greets

TCC
                                        Last edited by Tomcatciller; 09-18-2013, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Double typo than But all the smaller ones are D8. In D10, it would have capacity of 1500 uF, as the one there.

Anyway, no time to ship now, I am taking them with me and will ship from home.

Comment

Working...
                                          X