BIOS unknown password/cannot find CMOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIOS unknown password/cannot find CMOS?

Hi. I really need help with this one, I googled everything I could for hours and found nothing. I did set the password for BIOS just when I got my laptop, and just today I decided to remove password because I was about to clear install Windows 7 + Linux next to it. So I opened BIOS, typed in old password, left new password empty, as the manual for my laptop says, and it rebooted, asking me for password... I thought it's some kind of error and so I typed in "old" password but it was incorrect. I tried every recommended one I could find online like "admin" or "password" or "gateway", I tried all the tricks with holding or tapping certain keys, nothing worked. Then I used alt+r but it was today's date of rescue password. So I opened my laptop and... I could not find CMOS anywhere at all, and I couldn't find manual service/assembly for my laptop either. It's ASUS R541UJ. But anyway, when staring at motherboard for hour and trying to figure it out, I must have reset something anyhow, because later when I screwed back everything and turned it on, rescue password date was not 2018, but 2016. I actually did write a post asking for rescue password, https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...e=20&styleid=7
    but even if I'll get it, I wonder how the F does my BIOS keep asking for password after me removing it, how come there is no manual service for my laptop and where is CMOS battery, and finally, why don't I even get error screen after 3 incorrect passwords, but it just frezes instead.
    I am so confused and so pissed off. What's going on?

EDIT: I also found this list of default BIOSES passwords, but at this point I can't even find info on which one is mine, and trying every single one from the list doesn't seem like good idea.
    http://computersun.pl/bios/artykuly/...pis-k_101.html
    Last edited by Psychomachia; 01-21-2018, 09:22 AM.

Re: BIOS unknown password/cannot find CMOS?

try leaving it blank and hit enter

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
      try leaving it blank and hit enter
      Did that, too. Still incorrect.

Comment

I got rescue password in topic I linked above. So that's great. This topic can be closed now, or maybe someone wants to help me solve mystery of missing manual, CMOS battery and how did BIOS asked me for non-existing password :P

Comment

Working...
        X