X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP ProBook 4540s - Corrupted BIOS

Originally posted by peste View Post
    try this..
    Thank you very much, @peste!!! Today I was able to reprogram the W25Q64FVSIG chip by using your fixed BIOS image. The laptop is back to life! I didn't believe my eyes!

Many, many, many thanks!!!

God bless you!!!

Comment

Re: HP Probook 4540s - BIOS

Hello @peste, would you help me once again? I made a mistake to update the BIOS by using HP utility and the laptop died again after trying to reboot.
      I flashed the BIOS chip with the bin image you made for me and which worked before. Unfortunately this didn't help. I ended up again with blank screen, Caps Lock constantly blinking and fan spinning few seconds after power on. I attached a BIOS image as it was after the disastrous update, i.e. before flashing the chip again with your image. Thanks in advance for any help provided!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ivastchip View Post
        Hello @peste, would you help me once again? I made a mistake to update the BIOS by using HP utility and the laptop died again after trying to reboot.
        I flashed the BIOS chip with the bin image you made for me and which worked before. Unfortunately this didn't help. I ended up again with blank screen, Caps Lock constantly blinking and fan spinning few seconds after power on. I attached a BIOS image as it was after the disastrous update, i.e. before flashing the chip again with your image. Thanks in advance for any help provided!
        try again to write the bios that worked the first time, it should work if it worked once... you probably didn't write it correctly, try again..
        Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

try again to write the bios that worked the first time, it should work if it worked once... you probably didn't write it correctly, try again..
          Hello @peste,
          I flashed the chip twice with your bin file (that worked before.) I used two different CH341A programmers, first time I did it under Linux, second time under Windows. And each time I write the image to the chip, I then read it twice and compare with the original file. So I ended up with four read bin files that are exactly the same as the original bin file. So I'm pretty sure that the chip contains your bin image.
          I have no explanation why this time the laptop cannot boot. That's why I uploaded the last image from the chip (after unsuccessful BIOS update via HP utility) with the hope that you (or someone else) will be able to fix it just like you did before.

Comment

Hello @peste,
            I ordered new CH341A programmer and compared again the contents of the BIOS chip to the BIOS image you sent me (the one that worked for me before I apply the BIOS update.) I compared bin files read by my previous two programmers and as well as with the new one. I also used AsProgrammer 1.4, CH341A Progammer 1.0, and CH341A Programmer 1.4. That means 9 files read in Windows and 3 files read in Linux (using my 3 programmers with flashrom utility.) All 12 files are exactly the same to your bin file. But still the laptop cannot run.
            My last hope is if you can fix my last BIOS (HP_ProBook_4540s__SKU683494-001__S-N_C4Z14EA#ABB.zip__AFTER_UPDATED.bin.zip) that was uploaded in the previous post.
            Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hello @peste,
              I ordered new CH341A programmer and compared again the contents of the BIOS chip to the BIOS image you sent me (the one that worked for me before I apply the BIOS update.) I compared bin files read by my previous two programmers and as well as with the new one. I also used AsProgrammer 1.4, CH341A Progammer 1.0, and CH341A Programmer 1.4. That means 9 files read in Windows and 3 files read in Linux (using my 3 programmers with flashrom utility.) All 12 files are exactly the same to your bin file. But still the laptop cannot run.
              My last hope is if you can fix my last BIOS (HP_ProBook_4540s__SKU683494-001__S-N_C4Z14EA#ABB.zip__AFTER_UPDATED.bin.zip) that was uploaded in the previous post.
              Thanks in advance!
              try..
              Attached Files
              Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

Comment

Hello @peste,
                I was on a business trip this week but yesterday when I came back home I had the opportunity to disassemble the laptop and flash the BIOS chip with your latest fixed BIOS image. The laptop booted up and now works like a charm! I couldn't have done it without your help.
                Many thanks for all you have done! God bless you, man!!!

P.S.: I still have no explanation why the laptop didn't work with your first fix after I unsuccessfully updated the BIOS and then started to work with your second fix. Anyway, all's well that ends well. Thanks again!

Comment

Hi everyone,

New person here. I have the sameish issue as everyone here. Initially the laptop would power on but with no display, then the fan would start spinning at full speed and the Capslock key would blink continuously. At this stage, in order to power off the laptop I'd have to unplug it as it wouldn't stop by holding down the power button.

I've got the C314 programmer, saved a copy of my BIOS and the proceeded to try ~90% of the Bios dumps from this thread. Unfortunately none worked, however with all of them, the issue was now slightly different. The laptop powers on with a still black screen, after a few moments the fan start full speed but the Capslock key is now blinking 3 times(for a few times) and then stops. Also, I can now power off the laptop by holding down the power button.

It seems that for some people here the problem was resolved when someone 'fixed' their BIOS. Like @peste did in the previous posts.
                  So could anyone help me with this ? I'll upload the original BIOS dump.

Regards,
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sgh123 View Post
                    Hi everyone,

New person here. I have the sameish issue as everyone here. Initially the laptop would power on but with no display, then the fan would start spinning at full speed and the Capslock key would blink continuously. At this stage, in order to power off the laptop I'd have to unplug it as it wouldn't stop by holding down the power button.

I've got the C314 programmer, saved a copy of my BIOS and the proceeded to try ~90% of the Bios dumps from this thread. Unfortunately none worked, however with all of them, the issue was now slightly different. The laptop powers on with a still black screen, after a few moments the fan start full speed but the Capslock key is now blinking 3 times(for a few times) and then stops. Also, I can now power off the laptop by holding down the power button.

It seems that for some people here the problem was resolved when someone 'fixed' their BIOS. Like @peste did in the previous posts.
                    So could anyone help me with this ? I'll upload the original BIOS dump.

Regards,
                    try..
                    Attached Files

Comment

try..
                      Hi @peste,
                      Thanks for the file ! Unfortunately, the issue remains the same - caps lock blinks 3 times and fan goes full speed.
                      I'm guessing at this point that perhaps it's not [only] due to a bad BIOS. I've read that multiple faults could cause this behavior, including faulty CPU, bad capacitor, etc.
                      Does anyone have any other ideas regarding the BIOS or should I call it quits ?

Regards,

Comment

This is a list of common HP blink codes. Please note that it doesn't cover all cases of malfunction.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This is a list of common HP blink codes. Please note that it doesn't cover all cases of malfunction.
                          Hi ivastchip,
                          Thanks for your reply.
                          I've looked at the codes as well. The original BIOS had the Caps lock blinking continuously, indicating something to do with power. Other Bioses had the Caps lock blink 3 times, indicating memory issues, however this was happening even without memory stick inside.
                          In any case, I believe that whatever the issue is, it's not [necessarily] related to the BIOS, so I gave up on fixing it.

Comment

try..
                            Hi, Sorry if i am reviving an old topic, but is it possible to modify the "8.1.0.1248_1.5MB_PRD_RGN" ROM to set "UEFI boot (without CSM)" as default?

Current it is set UEFI Hybrid which causes problem with Rufus boot and I would like to install windows from USB but Rufus complains that it needs UEFI native (UEFI without CSM) to work.

I am using this Probook 4540s BIOS on Probook 4530s (using an 8MB 25Q64 chip, to allow IvyBridge support - which works) but the Keyboard is extremely slow (maybe need to borrow EfiLowLevelKeyboard.ffs from 4530s BIOS?), mouse and touchpad does not work and settings don't save. So I am hoping you can help with this :'(

Desired Configuration if possible..

Appreciate your help. Thanks
                            Last edited by timematcher; 10-22-2023, 07:57 AM. Reason: Added more details.

Comment

Originally posted by timematcher View Post
                              Hi, Sorry if i am reviving an old topic, but is it possible to modify the "8.1.0.1248_1.5MB_PRD_RGN" ROM to set "UEFI boot (without CSM)" as default?

Current it is set UEFI Hybrid which causes problem with Rufus boot and I would like to install windows from USB but Rufus complains that it needs UEFI native (UEFI without CSM) to work.

I am using this Probook 4540s BIOS on Probook 4530s (using an 8MB 25Q64 chip, to allow IvyBridge support - which works) but the Keyboard is extremely slow (maybe need to borrow EfiLowLevelKeyboard.ffs from 4530s BIOS?), mouse and touchpad does not work and settings don't save. So I am hoping you can help with this :'(

Desired Configuration if possible..

Appreciate your help. Thanks
                              try something else besides Rufus... do you still have the original bios??

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply

English is not my native language so excuse my manners if I sound rude. Apologies in advance. :'(

Yes, I have the dump of the original BIOS but the original BIOS of 4530s does not support IvyBridge because 4530s does not have Sandy-Ivy Support and does not have the necessary GOP drivers of for GPU.

Original BIOS (4530s Dump with Serial and PROD) + 2 4540s BIOS that let the system boot + FFS from 4530s that I have tried to inject

FFS Files extracted from 4530s using UEFITool

Problems with 4540s BIOSes
                                1. Keyboard is extremely slow in BIOS
                                2. Touchpad/Mouse does not work in BIOS
                                3. USB ports attached to the NEC/Renesas/USB3.1 side don't work
                                4. Saving BIOS only seems to work with the following BIOS(es)
                                HTML Code:
                                Probook_4540s_4MATIC_saves_Clock_Boots_Disk_Sata_But_No_NEC_Support
                                and
                                4340s BIOS

5. 4540s_8.1.0.1248_1.5MB_PRD_RGN_Doesnt_work-after-saving-settings.bin works but also has all the above problems plus CDROM does not work with it and after saving BIOS, the display disappears. fan runs on full speed after that...

I have two processors. i7-2860QM and i7-3840QM. A new CR2032 cell is installed for CMOS data retention.

1. i7-3840QM - runs extremely cool! The display works but only with 4540s BIOS (copied shared above, originally shared in this thread). No Display with 4530s BIOS because of an obvious Lack of Support for IVY.
                                2. i7-2860QM - runs extremely hot , works with both 4540s and 4530s BIOSes and with WIN10/WIN11 it takes a very long time to install (3 hours) and boot (15-20 minutes), CPU usage remains high after boot

Thus my motivation to use i7-3840QM.

I have a custom rig to the cooling fin, fan for the PCH CHIP, CPU CHIP and the dedicated graphics Chip all set inside the laptop. so heat can be managed if at all with i7-3840QM.

I am a software engineer by profession and know my way (a little bit) around IDA pro, WinHex/Hxd and have been experimenting with UEFITool and following various guides to port the DXE Drivers (for SATAController, RaidDriver and EfiLowLevelKeyboard) from 4530s to 4540 BIOS. but any change/import to 4540s BIOS results in no-display on the laptop screen. 4540s BIOS gives display on Probook 4530s machine if I use the BIOS on an 8MB chip as it is.

I have a lot of 8MB chips to experiment with and TL866II+ programmer and I have flashed a few bios to laptops (no bragging, just sharing what I am open to doing... and learning!)

The BIOS with the PRD_RGN suffix is one of your Bios copies shared in this very thread.

I understand that this may be a bit daunting task and somewhat ambitious but if I can make this work, this can help potentially many others around the globe who have this (once popular machine) and I can make my 4-year-old take classes on this LOL (as an added advantage). Not to mention, I will be able to learn and potentially help others based on this experience.
                                With i7-2860QM or lower, I can barely run WinXP...

What I wish could work is
                                1. Use 4540s BIOS because IvyBridge and HD4000 graphics can be used with low-heat
                                2. Can use Windows 10 or Windows 11 (already have a SATA3 SSD)
                                3. If possible, EfiLowLevelKeyboard (from 4530s) could be imported and injected into 4540 BIOS (if that solves the extremely slow navigation in 4540) BIOS
                                4. Import Raid Controller DXE Driver from 4530s
                                5. Sata Controller from 4530s (if that is better and more compatible)
                                6. DXE Driver for NEC/Renesas so that USB 3.1 Boot can work in UEFI mode
                                7. Ability to save the settings in BIOS (if its possible)

I have attempted creating variants of 4540s BIOSes for all these (from 1-6 points) using the UEFITool (using ExtractIs and ReplaceIs & verifying using UBU Tool) but the resulting modified "4540s BIOS copies" don't give any display on 4530s and cause full fan speed (indicating the BIOS didn't load properly?). Only the original copies of 4540s shared in this thread/mentioned above show Display on Screen with IvyBridge.

Maybe, I am using an incorrect approach? Any guidance regarding the correct approach will be greatly appreciated!

4504s Screenshots from the two 4540 BIOSes.

1.4540s BIOS

2. 4340 BIOS that also works but with the same problems as above

I hope it's not too much to ask (or maybe it is...) :'(
                                Last edited by SMDFlea; 10-22-2023, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply
                                  Attach files directly to your post instead of linking to external websites

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103570

All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                                    Attach files directly to your post instead of linking to external websites.
                                    Attach files directly to your post instead of linking to external websites

sure. For some reason, I am no longer able to edit the original post, so I will attach the attachments here..
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I have made some more progress with my experiments.

At this point in time, I only want to have the SataController of the 4540s firmware replaced with the one present in 4530s.

If that is done, I hope, I can install Windows 11 and bypass the “Driver PNP WatchDog” error

My understanding is that, with the current state, (Driver PNP WatchDog error) it should be possible to install any other OS such as Linux or maybe older version of Windows… but I hope to be able install windows 10/11. So I am wondering if only the above-mentioned change is possible…

@peste Do you think, that a single change, is possible?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

try..
                                        I have made some progress by flashing your firmware quoted above on 4530s and except the Audio, Power Monitor Circuit, Keyboard, Touchpad and the left-hand-side USB ports, everything else seems to work.

Audio had to be disabled in BIOS otherwise Windows 10/11 clean install from USB/DVD fails with Driver PNP WatchDog error on BSOD

Another issue is that Windows 11 seems to write something to this firmware (see quoted message) and it stops loading/POST-ing and BIOS needs to be flashed again.

I have some questions:
                                        1. How can we prevent "Windows 11 Update" from writing to BIOS?
                                        There is no firmware entry in Device Manager so I can not disable it there.
                                        Disabling Driver Downloads in Windows seems to have no effect.
                                        2. Is there a way to make BIOS chip read-only? I am using WIBOND W25Q64FVSIG
                                        2. Is there a way to import the Power Management Module/Power Monitor Circuit from HP Probook 4530s's BIOS?
                                        3. Is there a way to import the Keyboard Controller (KBC) from HP Probook 4530s's BIOS?
                                        5. Is there a way to import the Touchpad Controller firmware from HP Probook 4530s's BIOS?

I am attaching the BIOS firmware from HP Probook 4530s as well as the 4540s's one that you have provided (which I am currently using).

Kindly respond and help if you can. Thanks
                                        Attached Files

Comment

I have made some progress by flashing your firmware quoted above on 4530s and except the Audio, Power Monitor Circuit, Keyboard, Touchpad and the left-hand-side USB ports, everything else seems to work.

Audio had to be disabled in BIOS otherwise Windows 10/11 clean install from USB/DVD fails with Driver PNP WatchDog error on BSOD

Another issue is that Windows 11 seems to write something to this firmware (see quoted message) and it stops loading/POST-ing and BIOS needs to be flashed again.

I have some questions:
                                          1. How can we prevent "Windows 11 Update" from writing to BIOS?
                                          There is no firmware entry in Device Manager so I can not disable it there.
                                          Disabling Driver Downloads in Windows seems to have no effect.
                                          2. Is there a way to make BIOS chip read-only? I am using WIBOND W25Q64FVSIG
                                          2. Is there a way to import the Power Management Module/Power Monitor Circuit from HP Probook 4530s's BIOS?
                                          3. Is there a way to import the Keyboard Controller (KBC) from HP Probook 4530s's BIOS?
                                          5. Is there a way to import the Touchpad Controller firmware from HP Probook 4530s's BIOS?

I am attaching the BIOS firmware from HP Probook 4530s as well as the 4540s's one that you have provided (which I am currently using).

Kindly respond and help if you can. Thanks
                                          try this..
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X