HP Probook 4540s - BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP Probook 4540s - BIOS

hello, my 4540s fan is running fast, is it necessary to disassemble the bios to flash these bios, is there anyone who can explain how to install it, is there anyone who can separate the bios from the motherboard and flash it in a different way, help please

Comment

Originally posted by peste View Post
      try this..
      Hi @peste. Thanks for your reply and the bin image you attached. I appreciate it very much indeed.

I flashed your outimage1.bin on the 8MB chip (which is currently soldered to the board) after a full erase and I got a "blinking charger" LED. I did not get any display. CPU did not seem to POST.

Gentle Reminder : I am using a 4540s's BIOS on HP Probook 4530s to get IvyBridge Support with i7-3840QM processor on 4530s chipset (HM65) - which works fine but with some issues . For context see OLD post here with screenshots:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=139

I noticed the following with outimage1.bin which you provided:

1. The bin image is 4096KB for the original MX25L3206E 4MB chip while the chip I am using is an 8MB chip (W25Q64FVSIQ)
      2. The bin image has an ME of 7.1 while 8.1 ME is required for IvyBridge support (i think)
      3. The bin image does not seem to have any Ivybridge GOP driver ( I used UEFITool to check and I am not an expert so please excuse my ignorance in this regard).
      4. The bin image seems to have microcodes only for 000206Ax while i think, for 000306AXh is required for IvyBridge i7-3840QM
      Here by X i mean numerics for revisions

Quick questions:

1. Could you share technical details regarding what things did you change in this outimage1.bin you attached?
      2. Should I put the 4MB chip back and flash this image?
      3. Maybe it's a good idea to modify the 4540s image I attached in my message ( i am attaching it again for reference)

Please note that Probook4530s had a 4MB chip originally which I have replaced and put in an 8MB chip to allow flashing of 4540s BIOS and that the attached "[4540s]8.1.0.1248_1.5MB_PRD_RGN_Audio-Disabled_WLAN_LAN_GPUs_SSD_OpticDrv_16GB_RAM_FAN_DateTime_.zip 8MB image" works on 4530s with an 8MB chip but with problems mentioned in previous posts.

Side by Side Comparison (left[blinking LED] vs right (working but with issues))
      ===================================================
      ME version 7.1 vs ME version 8.1 - 8.1 is required (i believe)

000306AXh microcode is required for IvyBridge i7-3840QM

IvyGOP is required which is present in 4540s BIOS but missing in outimage1.bin

@peste

The only issues with you (originally submitted) BIOS i.e. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1699204636 are the following issues:

1. Keyboard is very slow
      2. Touchpad is very slow
      3. Audio must be disabled in BIOS only then windows 10 or windows 11 installs/boots.
      4. Win11/Win10 writes something to [4540s]8.1.0.1248_1.5MB_PRD_RGN_Audio-Disabled_WLAN_LAN_GPUs_SSD_OpticDrv_16GB_RAM_FAN_DateTime_.zip bios in the chip after Windows Updates and a result, laptop stops posting

Can we fix these issues somehow? I am happy to use the 8MB BIOS ([4540s]8.1.0.1248_1.5MB_PRD_RGN_Audio-Disabled_WLAN_LAN_GPUs_SSD_OpticDrv_16GB_RAM_FAN_DateTime_.zip ) on an 8MB chip and not the 4MB one because I believe it lacks IvyBridge and ME support. Only if we could fix the above issues!

Laptop : HP Probook 4530s (HM65 Chipset)
      CPU: i7-3840sQM
      Working BIOS (with some problems) : [4540s]8.1.0.1248_1.5MB_PRD_RGN_Audio-Disabled_WLAN_LAN_GPUs_SSD_OpticDrv_16GB_RAM_FAN_DateTime_.zip
      Working ME : 8.1.0.1248
      Chip Used : W25Q64FVSIG

Appreciate you taking the time to read my post and your response.
      Thanks
      Attached Files
      Last edited by timematcher; 11-05-2023, 12:31 PM.

Comment

try this...
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rex98 View Post
          try this...
          Hi Thanks for sharing the 4540s BIOS image.
          Maybe you didn't intend it for me as but I tried it anyway

Your BIOS image POSTs, BIOS is loaded but when making any change such as BOOT type, and then using F10 to save settings, it does not seem to save settings and as a result it is not possible to load UEFI boot from the Disk.

So far, only @peste's 4540s' BIOS works on 4530s, saves settings, loads OS but has some other issues e.g.

1. Audio must be disabled in BIOS (to prevent Driver PNP Watchdog BSOD)
          2. only 2 USB (R.H.S) ports work, NEC/Renesas USB 3.1 do not work,
          3. Restart/Shutdown operations from OS don't work, hardware does not restart/power off, continues to shutdown/restart for a very long time then results in BSOD and then system resets (normal after a BSOD).
          4. Underlying Keyboard & touchpad (EFI?)driver is extremely slow like a tortoise. It's extremely slow. You have to hard-press keys and then wait for the key to work after 3 seconds then delay 3 seconds then press another key and so on...

The behavior of keyboard/touchpad/mouse is the same in BIOS as well as after the OS is loaded. so a USB keyboard and USB mouse has to be attached to make things work. This occupies the only two working USB ports

Comment

Originally posted by timematcher View Post

So far, only @peste's 4540s' BIOS works on 4530s, saves settings, loads OS but has some other issues e.g.

3. Restart/Shutdown operations from OS don't work, hardware does not restart/power off, continues to shutdown/restart for a very long time then results in BSOD and then system resets (normal after a BSOD).
            4. Underlying Keyboard & touchpad (EFI?)driver is extremely slow like a tortoise. It's extremely slow. You have to hard-press keys and then wait for the key to work after 3 seconds then delay 3 seconds then press another key and so on...

The behavior of keyboard/touchpad/mouse is the same in BIOS as well as after the OS is loaded. so a USB keyboard and USB mouse has to be attached to make things work. This occupies the only two working USB ports
            So I have not given up and during the last few weeks, I was able to break BIOS signature (dual) verification and now modification to any DXE volume does not cause any blinking LEDs.

now the only things left to do are the following:

3. Restart/Shutdown operations from OS don't work, hardware does not restart/power off, continues to shutdown/restart for a very long time then results in BSOD and then the system resets (normal after a BSOD).
            4. The underlying Keyboard & touchpad (EFI?)driver is extremely slow like a tortoise. It's extremely slow. You have to hard-press keys and then wait for the key to work after 3 seconds then delay 3 seconds then press another key and so on...

I need help identifying the Audio DXE Driver/module, Keyboard, and power monitor modules in 4530s and 4540s modules.

For the keyboard, I replaced (from the 4530s BIOS into the modified 4540s) KBC flash, EfiLowLevelKeyboard, and all Keyboard-related DXEs but they did not seem to have any effect... BIOS still works with the aforementioned issues.

So this leads me to think there is some other PEI module that is loaded during POST that eventually becomes responsible for keyboard or touch handling.

or maybe there is some kind of clock speed frequency thingy that is causing the sluggish behavior of the native keyboard and touchpad.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Comment

I have the same problem, why does no one give me information on how to install it?

Comment

Originally posted by rex98 View Post
                try this...
                tested work 100%

Comment

Originally posted by ugur010 View Post
                  hello, my 4540s fan is running fast, is it necessary to disassemble the bios to flash these bios, is there anyone who can explain how to install it, is there anyone who can separate the bios from the motherboard and flash it in a different way, help please
                  You need a SOIC8 clip and a programmer such as CH341A programmer (and some knowledge/experience) to flash the BIOS.

In the case of 4540s/4530s, the BIOS can be flashed without removing the chip from the board. But you must remove/unplug the battery from the laptop and obviously remove the power cord from the laptop too (otherwise you will almost definitely burn your programmer).

Lastly, if the fan is spinning really fast and there is no display on your 4540s then most likely it is a CPU problem or a RAM problem and less likely a BIOS issue. but you could try using the appropriate/correct BIOS for your laptop/chip.

You should also share the Charger port LED's symptoms and behaviors i.e. color changing, blinking a certain number of times, etc. The Charger port LED's blinking behavior and the number of times it blinks have specific meanings which are all documented on the HP website in the support documents. A quick Google search could lead you to the exact page for your specific model of the laptop.

if you need specific help, I would suggest that you post exact and specific details of the issue along with the behavior of the Display, Fan, and charger port LED's behavior (whether it's normal, indicating charging? or just blinking or changing colors?). if you have recently changed/replaced the CPU, please share which CPU was previously present and which new one you installed now. The more specific your details are, the more likely is the chance that you will get a helpful response.
                  Last edited by timematcher; 11-19-2023, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X