Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[REQUEST] Thinkpad L490 Bios file ?

Hi ,
    Last week i bricked my Lenovo Thinkpad L490 , i think NVRAM reset caused it.
    because i'm trying to install hackintosh to that laptop . and as per forum they recommend to reset the nvram ,

So after i install hackintosh , and reset nvram then restart the device , my Laptop is not booting , but there is a sign of life because , because it has a LED light , Power on light , ESC light is on and Capslock light is on, but the laptop has no activity . it stays on black screen .

i believed NVRAM reset messed my BIOS rom.

now , I'm planning to buy CH341A SPI flasher, since this is my first time to do flashing , I have not familiar / zero knowledge using it.

but per google. I need to have Bios.bin file , but unfortunately i can't find it to lenovo website, there is available bios firmware but it has no .bin file on it. It contains only .FL1 and .FL2 file .

Is there someone here have the same device as mine ?

would like to request a copy of your Bios rom so i can bring my laptop to life.

thank you very much

Re: [REQUEST] Thinkpad L490 Bios file ?

Originally posted by jhay06 View Post
    Hi ,
    Last week i bricked my Lenovo Thinkpad L490 , i think NVRAM reset caused it.
    because i'm trying to install hackintosh to that laptop . and as per forum they recommend to reset the nvram
    What method did you use to reset NVRAM ,and did that forum recommend to make a bios backup before trying anything
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
      What method did you use to reset NVRAM ,and did that forum recommend to make a bios backup before trying anything
      I Used the menu from OpenCore there is nvram reset there .
      actually on my DELL laptop, resetting nvram with OpenCore is working without problem . but on this laptop L490 it is very strange though i saw on lenovo forums , resetting nvram assumes to be safe .

I did not read anything regarding on bios backup .

and now , I'm looking on how can i bring my laptop to life , i believe this is BIOS problem since i found out that there is other user at lenovo forums experience the same situation right now when they try to reset their nvram.

I'm planning to buy that CH341A eeprom flasher , or if there is a recommended tools?

i have no idea on how can i identify the SPI chipset of the laptop since this is my first time.

And also im looking for a copy of BIOS file for this laptop

L490 20Q6 ,

Thank you very much

Comment

any one ? ,

also is there a way i can extract the original bios from the bricked laptop ? i saw users from other forums which i am not currently member , i just saw it from google , they extract their original bios rom even it is was bricked then post to that forum and then the thread owner fixed the problematic bios rom then reupload the firmware .

Comment

I did not read anything regarding on bios backup .

and now , I'm looking on how can i bring my laptop to life , i believe this is BIOS problem since i found out that there is other user at lenovo forums experience the same situation right now when they try to reset their nvram.

I'm planning to buy that CH341A eeprom flasher , or if there is a recommended tools?

i have no idea on how can i identify the SPI chipset of the laptop since this is my first time.

And also im looking for a copy of BIOS file for this laptop

L490 20Q6 ,

Thank you very much
          Find your motherboard part number,if its an NM-B931 you can download the schematic and boardview here -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100946 .Search for the SPI in the schematic to find the bios chip(s) , then find its location on the motherboard using the boardview. Post the part number that is etched on top of the chip and post a picture of it,just to verify if its a WSON8 or SOP8 chip and someone will tell you if its the right chip or not as there will be more than one SPI chip on the board for different purposes.Then,if the chip is 1.8V you will need a 1.8V adapter ,if its 3.3V you don`t.If you havn`t got the tools to desolder the chip then you can try a clip for SOP8,or for WSON8 a pogo pin adapter,or solder wires from the programmers adapter board to the chip legs,solder or surrounding parts connected to the traces.If you cheap out and buy a CH341A it could need modifying to 3.3V from 5V before you use it to make a bios backup - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...40&postcount=2
          Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-11-2023, 04:14 PM.
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Find your motherboard part number,if its an NM-B931 you can download the schematic and boardview here -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100946 .Search for the SPI in the schematic to find the bios chip(s) , then find its location on the motherboard using the boardview. Post the part number that is etched on top of the chip and post a picture of it,just to verify if its a WSON8 or SOP8 chip and someone will tell you if its the right chip or not as there will be more than one SPI chip on the board for different purposes.Then,if the chip is 1.8V you will need a 1.8V adapter ,if its 3.3V you don`t.If you havn`t got the tools to desolder the chip then you can try a clip for SOP8,or for WSON8 a pogo pin adapter,or solder wires from the programmers adapter board to the chip legs,solder or surrounding parts connected to the traces.If you cheap out and buy a CH341A it could need modifying to 3.3V from 5V before you use it to make a bios backup - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...40&postcount=2

Thanks for the response

I saw from the link that TL886II is the recommended spi programmer
            would like to confirm if is this the one that they were talking about (see attached image) ?

also , i saw ezp2019 on the list of recommended flasher , but i found ezp2023 ? can you take a look if this will work
            https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/o...ist.84&stock=1

do i need to do modification like what you said on ch341 (3.3v-5v) if i will buy ezp or tl886? thanks
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jhay06; 01-11-2023, 06:01 PM.

Comment

i order ezp2019 through online i ordered with 12 expansion board .

Comment

okay got my ordr ezp2019 will try it now , if somone can help me to revive my laptop
                Last edited by SMDFlea; 02-05-2023, 05:40 AM.

Comment

okay , i think this this is the bios chip i guess? would you know? Winbond-25Q256JVEQ
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jhay06; 02-04-2023, 10:02 PM. Reason: add image

Comment

okay , i think this this is the bios chip i guess? would you know? Winbond-25Q256JVEQ
                    You have found the correct bios chip,but,it is not in the support list https://www.hklrf.com/24download/img/EZP2019-List.txt .You can select a different chip instead, W25Q256 or GD25Q256 and untick the verify setting.The chip type is WSON8 you will not get a clip onto it,it must be desoldered and out into or on an adapter board, or run wires from the adapter board. The EZP programmers are problematic reading and writing anything 8MB or higher, in the manual its recommended to turn the speed down;

Quote:
                    Note: Some 8M or more chips are detect ID unstable. recommended to select the chip
                    manually. In addition, if some errors when reading and writing, please to lower the
                    speed.

Its essential that you make a good backup, don`t erase the chip or try writing anything to it yet

Comment

You have found the correct bios chip,but,it is not in the support list https://www.hklrf.com/24download/img/EZP2019-List.txt .You can select a different chip instead, W25Q256 or GD25Q256
                      do you mean i should buy a replacement chip ?
                      or do you want me to try to flash W25Q256/GD25Q256 file ?

The chip type is WSON8 you will not get a clip onto it,it must be desoldered and out into or on an adapter board, or run wires from the adapter board.

I bought ezp2019 with wson8 extension board ? should i need to desoldered it ?
                      Actually im not good in using solder iron , so if i can prevent to use it , i will prevent it

btw , if my chip is not supported do you have any bios flasher to recommend that can support my chip ?

Thanks
                      Last edited by jhay06; 02-05-2023, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I have the same issue also after using the clear NVRAM.
                        Were you able to find the bin files?

Comment

Working...
                        X