Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GL553VW pictures need to restore traces

Dear All.

My GL553VW motherboard shuts down durring windows boot.
    I have narrowed it down to an area where NDVVS_PWROK signal traces are handled barbaric way before.

To restore the original pathes I need a good picture of the area to figure out where Point 3 and Point 4 are going and are they connected?
    Problematic area is around JP9306

Made a picture where I have the problem. (sorry about the bad image quality)
    Attached Files

Re: GL553VW pictures need to restore traces

Just a shot into the blue but you could try to use GL553VD boardview. The boards should be very similar iirc. Try and report pls.
    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Boardview does not shows these 2 point thats why i ask.

Comment

Here is a better quality picture
        Point #4 is ground.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by questore; 11-07-2022, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Turned out that Point #3 is "+3VS VGA"
          It should connect to the other side of board to T9125,
          and also to "R7485 pin #2" where it does NOT.
          So I'm guessing that someone cut that layer line while messing around.
          I think my best solution is that I make a jump wire from T9125 to "R7485 pin #2"
          Anyone has different idea?

Comment

Restored all the pathes.
            Notebook turns on and can go to BIOS.
            When i try to install a windows and its begining to load then it shuts down instantly.

Comment

Spotted that U8001 CPU Phase controller IC has a hole in it.
              I suspect when CPU is trying to draw more power on windows boot then this cause a shutdown. I order a new one.
              What do you think it can be a cause of this my problem?

Comment

Changed the IC, now windows loads a little more but still shutdown.
                Need pictures please.

Comment

Everything I could think of is checked. Project Fail.

Comment

followup info. The problem is definately the CPU phases
                    if I boot a knoppix UDB in debug mode and start to increase the CPU load, then the laptop shutdown after 7 thread start of the following command:
                    6 thread loads CPU to about 80%, when the 7th thread is starts the laptop shuts down instantly.
                    "$ for i in $(seq $(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN)); do yes > /dev/null & done"
                    I have measured with multimeter and Phase 3 coil is not switching on the mosfet side.
                    Last edited by questore; 12-19-2022, 05:36 AM.

Comment

More info:
                      - Tried to flash a new Cleaned ME BIOS. Result: Same problem.
                      - If I remove the Ph3 coil, then the laptop is not starting when powerbutton is pressed.

My Conclusions are:
                      - either the CPUs 470uF/6V coils are faulty (Solution replace them)
                      - Or the CPU is faulty (No solution, project end)

Any other ideas?

Comment

changed both CPUs 470uF (measured 450uF on the old ones)
                        status Improved but not yet ok.
                        After this CPU can run 7 thread without turning off (92% load on linux) but when starting the 8th thread, notebook turns off as before.

Where to go now?

Comment

I have two boards of these.
                          picture attached.

Regarding the CPU power lanes, there might be a defective mosfet. Measure resistance/diode reading across all the pins (G,D,S) and compare to the next one. Maybe it helps to remove them from the board.
                          If you have a thermal camera, sometimes it's also useful to spot some component hotter than it should be.

BTW, these mosfets tend to kill CPUs. The two boards I have, have a dead CPU, killed by a shorted mosfet that injected 19V directly to the CPU
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Vspeed; 01-03-2023, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. Now I'm certain that I did good.
                            I have now a new problem. The laptop shuts down after start 3 seconds, no picture.
                            Measured the CPU line and it still 2,4Ohm so it does not burned out.
                            Project have to wait a few month because I'm moving to a different location and there is no space to make repairs now. Be back with the result after.

Comment

Hello Again.
                              I'm back and here are the new simptoms of the laptop:

When I plug in the AC connector the battery LED is showing amber light (like it was charging, but there is no battery connected)
                              If I press the power button the laptop starts. Then after about 7 second it shuts down, but the battery amber LED stays on.

Found a similar problem thread but it is not enough specific:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82210
                              It does not says which one mosfet should I replace.

After some measurements I found that Q8803 mosfet has following readings:
                              - Source: 19.7v
                              - Gate: 8.3v
                              - Drain: 8.3v

Its an N-channel mosfet so it should pass voltage only if GATE is higher than SOURCE. So I think it is partialy shorted and needs replacement.
                              I have to order it, but i want to be sure that this is the only one needs to replaced so removed it from board. Now when AC plugged in, the laptop start for a second then stays off. Reading after the first mosfet is 1v.

More info: If I plug in the battery (no AC connected yet) and then connect the AC, then the battery LED shows amber light still.
                              So I think the problem is not only the removed mosfet but maybe another one is also bad.
                              Replacement mosfet takes 30-50 days to arrive, and i dont want to waste any more time and money if needed.

PLEASE HELP

Comment

I have some IRF8707 that I can use for replacement if that good, but i need help!

Comment

You might have a dead mosfet feeding the CPU, that is why it dies when you start to load it, but since you loaded it and tested it so many times, now you must have a shorted mosfet sending 19V directly to the CPU.

I suspect you have a dead CPU now. It's the behavior I observed with all of the motherboard that had a dead CPU.
                                  Last edited by piernov; 03-24-2023, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vspeed View Post
                                    You might have a dead mosfet feeding the CPU, that is why it dies when you start to load it, but since you loaded it and tested it so many times, now you must have a shorted mosfet sending 19V directly to the CPU.
                                    I suspect you have a dead CPU now. It's the behavior I observed with all of the motherboard that had a dead CPU.
                                    if I remove the RAM and press the power button, the laptop starts and stays on. Every power rail on repair manual is present including the CPU, GPU all_power_goood signal and PLT_RST#. CPU has 1v all along.
                                    CPU and GPU slowly heating up until CPU fan turns on and cools it down, then fan stops until it heats up again and fan start spinning. That is why I think CPU and GPU is good.
                                    Last edited by piernov; 03-24-2023, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Oh, ok. in that case I think the CPU is OK. have you tried different ram modules? These models do not like ram with more than DDR4-2666 speed.
                                      You can also try to do ME clean of the bios and see if it boots.

Where is this Q8803 mosfet? Is there a schematic of this laptop? I forgot if there is. edit: There is a board view here on the forum.
                                      Last edited by Vspeed; 03-24-2023, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I have some dead cpu boards around. later I can try to measure mine with battery and without battery so you can compare.

Comment

Working...
                                        X