Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

Ok. This will be a painful one. I found some but from a paid service. Let me post some partial screen grabs.

The BV file is horrible but may work.

See attached.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mon2; 06-05-2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Ok. This will be a painful one. I found some but from a paid service. Let me post some partial screen grabs.

The BV file is horrible but may work.

See attached.
      Thank you, PR8904 are at 2.7V

Comment

ACDET is a good voltage.

See attached. Confirm that the VCC pin is being fed a proper voltage for the charger IC.

Confirm the voltage of ACOK status. Check & post the voltage.
        Attached Files

Comment

ACDET is a good voltage.

See attached. Confirm that the VCC pin is being fed a proper voltage for the charger IC.

Confirm the voltage of ACOK status. Check & post the voltage.
          VCC on charging IC is 19.7V

ACOK is fed 6V.

Could it be a defective shorted battery? Voltage measures 0V on the battery, but it worked before, so maybe some internal protection got triggered?
          Last edited by jacobtc; 06-05-2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

What is board number ?

Comment

Does the logic board function without the battery ? It should.

If it does not, the battery is not a factor. For now, work without the battery.

You can inspect the SMBUS (I2C) lines on the battery connector.

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode.

Check the resistance to ground of the following:

P_SMB0_CLK - pin 3
              P_SMB0_SDA - pin 4

Red meter lead on the pin; black to ground.

What are the resistance readings for each ?

Comment

Originally posted by stevedb View Post
                what is board number ?
                ga401iv r1.4

Comment

Does the logic board function without the battery ? It should.

If it does not, the battery is not a factor. For now, work without the battery.

You can inspect the SMBUS (I2C) lines on the battery connector.

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode.

Check the resistance to ground of the following:

P_SMB0_CLK - pin 3
                  P_SMB0_SDA - pin 4

Red meter lead on the pin; black to ground.

What are the resistance readings for each ?
                  Yes, the board works without the battery connected.

Should I measure resistance on the battery, when it is not connected to the board, or on the terminals on the board, when the battery is connected?

Also, the connector does not seem to have a P_SMB0_SDA pin, only a CLK and DAT pin, see pic.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jacobtc; 06-05-2022, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Just measured on both pins, both are at 0.5 Mohm.

Comment

See attached.

Post the voltage readings for each point of interest on the battery charge mosfets.

Attach the external power adapter & battery.

Meter in 20V scale. Red meter lead to point to test; Black meter lead to ground.

Yes, it is possible that the battery BMS (battery management system) has shut down due to the spark but others can share their comment on this topic. If you have access to, try a replacement battery for testing.

When the system is booted, does Windows report the presence of the battery ? Battery level ?

The SMBUS / I2C lines seem to be ok with the posted resistance but you can also perform another test.

After the logic board is powered up with the battery -> measure the voltage of the battery connector pins (SCL & SDA) to check if the interface lines are defective or not.

What voltage do you read with respect to ground for the battery connector pins 3 & 4 ?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Battery wil not give voltage if not connected. Can you measure voltage on the battery at all when it is. Connected

Comment

@Mon2 can it not be the battery is overdischarged over is treasure limit.

Comment

See attached.

Post the voltage readings for each point of interest on the battery charge mosfets.

Attach the external power adapter & battery.

Meter in 20V scale. Red meter lead to point to test; Black meter lead to ground.

Yes, it is possible that the battery BMS (battery management system) has shut down due to the spark but others can share their comment on this topic. If you have access to, try a replacement battery for testing.

When the system is booted, does Windows report the presence of the battery ? Battery level ?

The SMBUS / I2C lines seem to be ok with the posted resistance but you can also perform another test.

After the logic board is powered up with the battery -> measure the voltage of the battery connector pins (SCL & SDA) to check if the interface lines are defective or not.

What voltage do you read with respect to ground for the battery connector pins 3 & 4 ?
                            Here is the readings for the mosfets:
                            PQH8901:
                            D: 20V
                            S: 0,223V
                            G: 0,223V

PQL8901:
                            D: 0,223V
                            S: 0V
                            G: 0V

Yes, battery shows up in Windows and bios, and reports as 100% charged.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
                              Battery wil not give voltage if not connected. Can you measure voltage on the battery at all when it is. Connected
                              When connected, it stills shows as 0,5V on the battery.

Comment

That is very strange how much voltage do you have on battery if you measure it on battery connector.

Comment

@Mon2 can it not be the battery is overdischarged over is treasure limit.
                                  That is what I am thinking, but before I started diagnosing the machine, I was pretty sure that it was at close to 100% charge, and I didn't leave it in the machine, so having it discharge completely over a couple of months seems unusual.

Comment

That is very strange how much voltage do you have on battery if you measure it on battery connector.
                                    The same.

Comment

By the way here is shematic and brdview
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I think that the BMS logic inside the battery pack is not communicating properly and resulting in the 100% charge reading.

What is the voltage readings on pins 3 & 4 of the battery connector ?

Have seen cases where these I2C lines are defective and with similar results. If the charger IC believes the charge is full, no work is to be done so turns off the battery linked mosfets.

Comment

I think that the BMS logic inside the battery pack is not communicating properly and resulting in the 100% charge reading.

What is the voltage readings on pins 3 & 4 of the battery connector ?

Have seen cases where these I2C lines are defective and with similar results. If the charger IC believes the charge is full, no work is to be done so turns off the battery linked mosfets.
                                          Both pins are reading 0.06V not connected to the board.

Comment

Working...
                                          X