Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
    If the mosfet is shorted then you need to replace all the mosfets high and low side mosfet. This is typical shematic from your chip. So you have an idea what we dealing with
    Alright, I'll get the mosfet removed today, and see if the short is gone.

Comment

If the mosfet is shorted then you need to replace all the mosfets high and low side mosfet. This is typical shematic from your chip. So you have an idea what we dealing with
      Removed the mosfet, and all shorts are now gone

The mosfet is shorted yes, do I still need to replace all mosfets?

Comment

The high and low side mosfet for sure and controller bq chip. De

Comment

The high and low side mosfet for sure and controller bq chip. De
          Is it due to them having taken damage? It is around 10 mosfets I need to replace then. I resoldered the BQ chip, but I can replace that as well, just more IC's to buy from China I guess...
          Last edited by jacobtc; 04-29-2022, 09:20 AM.

Comment

No just the one is conected to phase pin are two ones. Not does from cpu . Like on the shematis i sent q51 and q80.

Comment

No just the one is conected to phase pin are two ones. Not does from cpu . Like on the shematis i sent q51 and q80.
              So just these two?
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes those two

Comment

Yes those two
                  Awesome! I will report back when the mosfets arrive, and the new BQ IC.. China shipping, so it might take a while
                  Do you get your components from China as well, or have you found a better place to get them?
                  Last edited by jacobtc; 04-29-2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Yes local electronic store , aliexpress , or ebay i order also i have no shop or tax number so i am obligied to buy in such store, if you got a tax number you can buy by farnell, tme , digikey and etc. Awesome we could find the cultprit of the problem of your laptop. I am sure for 98 procent if you replace the components the laptop will work, good job ��

Comment

By the way yougot nice equipmant much better then mine i must urgent upgrade my equipment.

Comment

Yes local electronic store , aliexpress , or ebay i order also i have no shop or tax number so i am obligied to buy in such store, if you got a tax number you can buy by farnell, tme , digikey and etc. Awesome we could find the cultprit of the problem of your laptop. I am sure for 98 procent if you replace the components the laptop will work, good job ��
                        All thanks to you, would not have figured out this myself! When I come by Belgium, I'm getting you a beer!

Comment

By the way yougot nice equipmant much better then mine i must urgent upgrade my equipment.
                          If your equipment works, then don't upgrade, I worked in the electrical industry for a couple years, so my Fluke is leftover when upgrading etc.

Comment

You are welcome my friend.

Comment

UPDATE!

Got the mosfets and BQ chip all soldered on, not shorts on the board afterwards.
                              Thought I was good, and assembled everything, plugged in the charger, and now nothing works, no lights, start button does nothing, charging indicator not showing, completely dead, machine wont start and USB charging also does nothing...

Double checked connections, and they are fine, disassembled the machine again, and did new measurements, can anyone help again? Still no shorts on board, nothing gets warm when plugged in.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Where is the +4v2 coming from (since the front side 2 x mosfets are not turned on) ?

Is there a battery connected ? If yes, remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                                  Where is the +4v2 coming from (since the front side 2 x mosfets are not turned on) ?

Is there a battery connected ? If yes, remove it.
                                  Mystery of the day, no battery is connected, I guess they must be in parallel with the input?

EDIT: The second mosfet at the input outputs 4.2v
                                  Last edited by jacobtc; 05-20-2022, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Are you confident that the mosfets were mounted with pin #1 = pin # 1 on the PCB ?

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode.

Check the resistance with the meter probe on pin # 8 and # 7 = should be ~0 ohms.

Then pin # 8 and pin #5 ? Reading ?

Then 1-2-3 = should be ~0 ohms.

What is the resistance between pin 1-2-3 (source) and pin # 4 (gate) ? - if this is ~0 ohms then the mosfet has been soldered upside down.

Comment

Are you confident that the mosfets were mounted with pin #1 = pin # 1 on the PCB ?

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode.

Check the resistance with the meter probe on pin # 8 and # 7 = should be ~0 ohms.

Then pin # 8 and pin #5 ? Reading ?

Then 1-2-3 = should be ~0 ohms.

What is the resistance between pin 1-2-3 (source) and pin # 4 (gate) ? - if this is ~0 ohms then the mosfet has been soldered upside down.
                                      Thanks, when you say pin #8 and #5, which do you mean? I did not touch the mosfets at the DC in, only down at the charging IC area.

Comment

Ok. Then remove all power and check the resistance of the DC IN mosfets.

Meter in resistance mode (2k scale is ok).

Check each mosfet with meter probes across:

Source (1-2-3) & Drain (5-6-7-8)
                                        Source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
                                        Gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

Post each measurement. Repeat for the 2nd mosfet. Checking for a low resistance = defective mosfet.

Also post the markings of each mosfet so we can find their datasheets (or a valid replacement).

Comment

Ok. Then remove all power and check the resistance of the DC IN mosfets.

Meter in resistance mode (2k scale is ok).

Check each mosfet with meter probes across:

Source (1-2-3) & Drain (5-6-7-8)
                                          Source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
                                          Gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

Post each measurement. Repeat for the 2nd mosfet. Checking for a low resistance = defective mosfet.

Also post the markings of each mosfet so we can find their datasheets (or a valid replacement).
                                          Thanks, already purchased replacements for them, as it was easier to get all of them when I was already purchasing the ones at the IC charging area.

The PKCH2BB meassures:
                                          S-D: 2.1 MOhm
                                          S-G: No reading, (not 0 ohm, no reading at all.)
                                          G-D: 5 MOhm

The M3058M meassures:
                                          S-D 3 MOhm
                                          S-G: 4.6 MOhm
                                          G-D: No reading, (not 0 ohm, no reading at all.)
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X