Surface Pro 4 not booting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surface Pro 4 not booting.

Hi, I'm working on a Surface Pro 4, I initially hijacked this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82202 to keep all the info in one place since it does not seem to be a popular repair but decided to start my own thread since it is not getting any attention. I apologise if this is not allowed.
    The device is not booting, I don't get the 8.5V that mattpd spoke about. I get 15V on source and gate of Q7002. None of the mosfets are shorted. I do get +3P3VAS. No voltages present on the BQ24770. None of the coils are shorted. I did reflow the IT8528VG but no difference. The usual suspects, diodes and resistor, are good also. I purchased IT8528VG from M.Sentrix but I confirmed yesterday that they are new, some sites refer to it as a PMIC but the schematic refers to it as the EC and to the best of my knowledge, the EC needs to have special programming to work. Any guidance would be much appreciated, thanks.

Re: Surface Pro 4 not booting.

Do you have 3.3v next to IT8528VG? if not then its dead and needs to be replaced

Please see attached picture and check that cap and report back with its voltage .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rotceh_dnih; 04-15-2022, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the response rotceh_dnih. I'm getting 0.11V on that cap and it's resistance to gnd is 1.1ohm...... If the IT8528VG is dead, do I need to get it from a donor or a new chip can work. It makes sense that it needs to be from a donor since it seems to be the EC but some sites refer to it as a PMIC, hence my confusion.

Comment

Sorry i did miss that question in your first post , My understanding is it can just be replaced. I ordered some a few weeks ago from a local suppler and they were on a tape reel and looked like fresh new leadfree balls with no sign's of being reballed at any time and after installing my pro 4 was back to life.

Its not 100% known what that line is for its thought it might be a digital reference voltage. My board also gave me a voltage of around 0.15v on that cap before changing IC then 3.3v after so please do report back after replacement.

Comment

Thanks again rotceh_dnih, I replaced it and sadly no difference.

Comment

Which voltages are the same in the picture?
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X