MacBook Pro A1990 doest turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacBook Pro A1990 doest turn on

No worries. Treat it like a fresh start. It may be easier this time around. At least we got to the 20V on the ports so it is possible.

Like Lior Raz's TV show - Fauda !!

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      No worries. Treat it like a fresh start. It may be easier this time around. At least we got to the 20V on the ports so it is possible.

Like Lior Raz's TV show - Fauda !!
      You Know Fauda

Comment

Love the show - watched all 3-4 seasons of it. It is on our local Netflix. A bit violent but great show. His one in NY is also very good. Former bodyguard of Arnold. Also, Homeland was great (Gideon Raff) - wow!!

The one goofy part of the show was the little listening bug in the teapot they had in the govt office - sure thing buddy if you can have the range they claim with the coin cell battery

On the logic board review - after a close visual inspection, if you find an off voltage - check the resistance and also post the DIODE mode reading (red probe to ground; black probe on the part).

Suspecting that a solder joint or component has broken off during the fall.

Comment

Oh boy.

Check for any damaged parts on the top / bottom of the PCB.

Post the voltage readings for:

1) Each CD3215 LDO rail - if any of the rails are OFF or low then stop searching and need to focus on that ACE controller for damaged parts.
          Now i am getting 5v on all USB C ports, and drawing 250mA.
          Lets take for example that U3200 is faulty , Does it means that if i will check UB300 and UB400 LDO rails i will get all four of them ( 2x1.8 , 3.3v and 1.1v) even that the voltage is 5v?

Comment

From the assorted websites, we need to have all LDO rails on each CD3215 working.

The 5 volts is the default output from the external power adapter. The 1v1 is critical as this is the BMC communication rail for the USB Power Delivery interface. If this is dead then the CC1 & CC2 lines cannot function for that CD3215.

Comment

From the assorted websites, we need to have all LDO rails on each CD3215 working.

The 5 volts is the default output from the external power adapter. The 1v1 is critical as this is the BMC communication rail for the USB Power Delivery interface. If this is dead then the CC1 & CC2 lines cannot function for that CD3215.
              Yes i see, but does it means that if UB300 is good so i will get 1.1V LDO even if this USB C port is taking 5v .And the reason for not getting the 20v is because that we have other CD3215 which is faulty ?

Comment

Love the show - watched all 3-4 seasons of it. It is on our local Netflix. A bit violent but great show. His one in NY is also very good. Former bodyguard of Arnold. Also, Homeland was great (Gideon Raff) - wow!!
                I am not familiar with this show .

Comment

but does it means that if UB300 is good so i will get 1.1V LDO even if this USB C port is taking 5v
                  Yes. Check for the presence of the 1v1 LDO rail on each CD3215. It is a great start.

Respectively, from our last review, the CD3215 devices are working in pairs. If you do not see 20v on one pair then something is wrong with the CD3215 OR SPI flash OR SMC unable to communicate with the pair.

Start with the LDO review and then we can proceed from there. If the LDOs are enabled, then need to check the next step on the SPI flash voltage. Also note, if a part is missing due to the fall, this can of course cause the communication to stop and leave us @ 5 volts.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9073940...=nm_flmg_act_1

Comment

Yes. Check for the presence of the 1v1 LDO rail on each CD3215. It is a great start.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9073940...=nm_flmg_act_1
                    Will Post and update.

Will see, thanks for the link

Comment

Oh boy.

1) Each CD3215 LDO rail - if any of the rails are OFF or low then stop searching and need to focus on that ACE controller for damaged parts.

All The LDO rails are on, of course for each ACE when its connected to power adapter

2) PPBUS_G3H

present : 12.3v

3) U2890 flash - each pin
                      Pin1 TBT_X_SPI_CS_L : 3.3v
                      Pin2 TBT_X_SPI_MISO : 3.33v
                      Pin3 TBT_X_SPI_ROM_WP_L :3.34
                      Pin4 GND : 0v
                      Pin5 TBT_X_SPI_MOSI: 1.434v
                      Pin6 TBT_X_SPI_CLK: 1.08v
                      Pin7 TBT_X_ROM_HOLD_L: 3.33v
                      Pin8 PP3V3_UPC_XB_LDO: 3.33v

4) UB090 flash - each pin
                      Pin1: TBT_T_SPI_CS_L : 3.34v
                      Pin2: TBT_T_SPI_MISO: 3.34v
                      Pin3: TBT_T_ROM_WP_L : 3.34v
                      Pin4 : GND
                      Pin5 : TBT_T_SPI_MOSI: 1.51v
                      Pin6: TBT_T_SPI_CLK: 1.152v
                      Pin7: TBT_T_ROM_HOLD_L: 3.34v
                      Pin8: PP3V3_UPC_TA_LDO: 3.34v
                      Pin9: GND

5)

I2C_TBT_T_SCL (RB034, pin #2)

I2C_TBT_T_SDA (RB034, pin #2)

the voltage is 0v

6)

I2C_TBT_X_SCL (R2834, pin # 2)

I2C_TBT_X_SDA (R2835, pin # 2)

the voltage is 0v
                      Hey @mon2,

please see my results in bold .

Moreover i checked diode mode for the CC1 and CC2 lines:

U3100 and U3200 :

CC1 : 0.424
                      CC2 : 0.472

UB300 and UB400 :

CC1 : 0.469
                      CC2 : 0.421

thanks

Comment

I think the diode values look ok.

With the power adapter connected, confirm the voltage of each LDO rail on these CD3215 devices. As per before, the LDO rails must be present for each component.

Comment

I think the diode values look ok.

With the power adapter connected, confirm the voltage of each LDO rail on these CD3215 devices. As per before, the LDO rails must be present for each component.
                          Hey Mon2,

The LDO rails are present for each component.
                          same values as before .

Comment

Hey mon2,

Have you noticed that the values of UB090 and U2890 are little bit different than before ?
                            moreover , i think that i see small fluctuation on the SPI_CLK for both of them .

Comment

Check to confirm the voltage readings for the local SPI flash rom. Each pair of these devices has a local flash rom (SPI). Do the voltage readings match for either side of the logic board ?

Also, have you attempted top / flipped down orientation for each USB port with the adapter ? To check if either side can support 20V ?

Check the voltage of PPBUS_g3H. Is it normal ?

Comment

Check to confirm the voltage readings for the local SPI flash rom. Each pair of these devices has a local flash rom (SPI). Do the voltage readings match for either side of the logic board ?

Also, have you attempted top / flipped down orientation for each USB port with the adapter ? To check if either side can support 20V ?

Check the voltage of PPBUS_g3H. Is it normal ?
                                3) U2890 flash - each pin
                                Pin1 TBT_X_SPI_CS_L : 3.3v
                                Pin2 TBT_X_SPI_MISO : 3.33v
                                Pin3 TBT_X_SPI_ROM_WP_L :3.34
                                Pin4 GND : 0v
                                Pin5 TBT_X_SPI_MOSI: 1.434v
                                Pin6 TBT_X_SPI_CLK: 1.08v ( low than before)
                                Pin7 TBT_X_ROM_HOLD_L: 3.33v
                                Pin8 PP3V3_UPC_XB_LDO: 3.33v

4) UB090 flash - each pin
                                Pin1: TBT_T_SPI_CS_L : 3.34v
                                Pin2: TBT_T_SPI_MISO: 3.34v
                                Pin3: TBT_T_ROM_WP_L : 3.34v
                                Pin4 : GND
                                Pin5 : TBT_T_SPI_MOSI: 1.51v
                                Pin6: TBT_T_SPI_CLK: 1.152v
                                Pin7: TBT_T_ROM_HOLD_L: 3.34v
                                Pin8: PP3V3_UPC_TA_LDO: 3.34v
                                Pin9: GND

and PPbus is 12.3V

I dont have 20v at all , sutck on 5V 250mA in all four ports

Comment

Value of PP3V42_G3H ?

Value of SMC_RESET_L ?

Post the voltage readings for the SMC_I2C SDA & CLK lines.

You may have an issue here since the PPBUS_G3H is @ 12v3 and should be 12v6. This higher value is configured using the SMC_I2C lines.

Are these lines @ ~3v3 for each ? If not, remove all power.

Meter in resistance mode (2k scale). Then measure the resistance to ground for these I2C lines again. Post the values.

If the resistance is not too low then there may be a broken part (likely) or trace between the SMC I2C bus master connection to the U7000 device for at least one of these 2 lines.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by mon2; 02-13-2022, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Value of PP3V42_G3H ?

I dont have this net in my board

Value of SMC_RESET_L ?

Also dont have this net in my board , but i found:

SMC_RSMRST_L = 0v
                                    SMC_SYSRST_L = 0v

Post the voltage readings for the SMC_I2C SDA & CLK lines (I2C_PWR_SCL and I2C_PWR_SDA)

The voltage for those lines is flactuating between 1.784v-1.8v .
                                    i dont think that they are suppose to be 3.3v because they are pulled up to PP1V8_SLPS2R but maybe i am wrong.

the resistnace for I2C_PWR_SCL and I2C_PWR_SDA is 4.9k and 5.2k.

Comment

Post the voltage readings for the SMC_I2C SDA & CLK lines (I2C_PWR_SCL and I2C_PWR_SDA)

The voltage for those lines is fluctuating between 1.784v-1.8v .
                                      You are so correct. My bad..good readings.

Yes, ignore the other labels - from another logic board.

Post the voltage of CHGR_RST_IN (mates with U7000).

You can measure @ R6940 (check both sides of this resistor).

PS: Will check back later - time to be Arnold movers again - stove time. Bad weather did not allow for it on past weekends.

Comment

Hey ,

CHGR_RST_IN and CHGR_RST_IN_R are on 0v.
                                        the resistance to ground of CHGR_RST_IN_R is 54ohm.
                                        VDDA and VDDP of U7000 are on 5V.
                                        And thanks again
                                        enjoy the stove time , sorry but i an not familiar with this expression unless you mean lunch
                                        Last edited by noz_1974; 02-13-2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Hi. No, had to move 2 stoves but it is still too much ice for a safe move so next week..
                                          CHGR_RST_IN and CHGR_RST_IN_R are on 0v.
                                          the resistance to ground of CHGR_RST_IN_R is 54ohm.
                                          The above readings are not good.

Pretty sure the reset line to the U7000 is active LOW so this means when the line is LOW (ie. ~0v), then the part will be held in RESET. So this means that the device @ U6940 is also spitting out the 0V.

Confirm that U6940 is being powered. Check the voltage on PP3V3_G3H_RTC_X.

While there, check the voltage of pins 3 & 4 of U6940.

Check that this value matches BOTH sides of R4911.

The resistance to ground of CHGR_RST_IN_R is too low.

Remove the resistor @ R6940 and then check the resistance again for CHGR_RST_IN_R. Is it still very low ?

If yes, remove the resistor @ R6941 and then check CHGR_RST_IN_R resistance to ground again.

Something is causing this line to be with a low resistance to ground. Perhaps U6940 is faulty but try to remove the above parts to see if the resistance on the line can be increased.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by mon2; 02-13-2022, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X