MacBook Pro A1990 doest turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacBook Pro A1990 doest turn on

Confirm that U6940 is being powered. Check the voltage on PP3V3_G3H_RTC_X. - The Voltage is 3.36 v

While there, check the voltage of pins 3 & 4 of U6940. -
    the pin voltage is also 3.36V
    PMU_ONOFF_L : 3.36v
    PMU_RSLOC_RST_L: 3.36v

Check that this value matches BOTH sides of R4911. both sides are 3.36v

The resistance to ground of CHGR_RST_IN_R is too low.

Remove the resistor @ R6940 and then check the resistance again for CHGR_RST_IN_R. Is it still very low ?

If yes, remove the resistor @ R6941 and then check CHGR_RST_IN_R resistance to ground again.

I think that i did a mistake and i measured the resistance when the power was on.
    the resistance reading on R6940 and R6941 is 326Kohm
    Last edited by noz_1974; 02-13-2022, 01:16 PM.

Comment

What is the voltage of CHGR_RST_IN ?

Measure with the adapter connected.

If 0v then trace it back to the ic referenced in the last post.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
        What is the voltage of CHGR_RST_IN ?

Measure with the adapter connected.

If 0v then trace it back to the ic referenced in the last post.
        Hey,

The voltage on CHGR_RST_IN is 0V.
        which means that if i will remove R6940 and i will get 3.3v on pin10 of U6940 than U7000 is faulty.

If i will still get 0V ( after removing R6940 ) than i need to remove also R6941 which leads to U7800 ( the PMU) and to all the CD3215C . If the voltage will stay 0v than U6940 is faulty , otherwise if the voltage will go up to 3.3v it means that the problem might coming from a short under the CD3215C or from the PMU . And because its a short to ground , so i guess that the problem will come from the CD3215C which was reflow before the falling.
        CD3215C pads ( pad 42 CPU_PMU_RESET and pad 51 GND ) this is the short.

Am i right?
        Last edited by noz_1974; 02-13-2022, 03:08 PM.

Comment

CHGR_RST_IN is 0V
          This means that U7000 is being parked into RESET mode and will not do anything. This signal line needs to be HIGH (~3v3 - assuming) to allow for U7000 to communicate back to the I2C (SMBUS) master to perhaps kick in the higher PPBUS_G3H voltage value.

If I understand correctly, the fault is @ U6940. I would consider to apply flux and hot air to 'make it dance' and then check again. Believe that the CHGR_RST_IN line should be HIGH if the inputs are HIGH.

If you remove R6940, then believe that the CHGR_RST_IN line will be just floating - unless there is an internal pull-up inside of U7000 which is an unknown.

You can remove R6940 and check the voltage on R6940, pad # 2. What is the voltage value ?

If the voltage of the CHGR_RST_IN does not return to a logic HIGH then U6940 needs to be replaced. We could 'hack in a mod' but best to use the Silego part that is in the design for a simple fix.

Comment

Hey mon2,

Yes you right, and i think that we actually meant to the same thing.
            but you already few steps ahead.
            I forgot that i measured the resistance on CHGR_RST_IN_R and CHGR_RST_IN , and i got high resistance around 326kohm. It means that i dont have a short path to CHGR_RST_IN from the U7000 and i also dont have a short path to CHGR_RST_IN_R ( UPC_PMU_RESET) from the PMU (7800) and from the CD3215C chips. Are you agree ?

This only leave us with a problem on U6940 , and to check this scenario as you mentioned.
            I will remove R6940 and will let you now , if you have a similar board on your table can you please confirm and post the voltage on CHGR_RST_IN.
            thanks

Comment

Hey ,

I meant short path to ground on my upper post

Comment

Working...
              X