• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacBook Pro A1990 doest turn on

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
    The resistance values are good.

Place the meter in diode mode.

Remove all power. Red meter probe to ground.

Black meter probe to CC1 pin of the cd3215. Value?

Repeat for the CC2 pin.

Repeat for each cd3215. Post the measurements.
    Hey mon2,

For non working USB C ( U3200 and U3100 ) :

U3100 :

CC1 - 0.585v
    CC2- 0.593v

U3200 :

CC1 - 0.582v
    CC2- 0.589v

For working USB C ( UB300 and UB400 ) :

UB300 :

CC1 - 0.584v
    CC2- 0.59v

UB400 :

CC1 - 0.582v
    CC2- 0.59v

Comment

Diode readings look ok.

See attached.

Post the voltage readings for the I2C lines used to communicate with these 2 - ACE controllers. Meter in DC volts (20v is ok).

It should be ok to power from the side with the 20v reading and then measure these lines.
      Attached Files

Comment

Remove all power - remove the Type C paddle board that is working.

Swap onto the side that is not working. This is to confirm that the small Type C paddle board is not damaged for the non-working side. Do inspect the non-working side connector for any possible corrosion which will require a cleaning with alcohol & Q-tip. Check for any neon green color points which indicate liquid damage.

Comment

Diode readings look ok.

See attached.

Post the voltage readings for the I2C lines used to communicate with these 2 - ACE controllers. Meter in DC volts (20v is ok).

It should be ok to power from the side with the 20v reading and then measure these lines.
          Hey,

Both of them are on 3.31v .

I2C_TBT_X_SCL and I2C_TBT_X_SDA

Comment

Remove all power - remove the Type C paddle board that is working.

Swap onto the side that is not working. This is to confirm that the small Type C paddle board is not damaged for the non-working side. Do inspect the non-working side connector for any possible corrosion which will require a cleaning with alcohol & Q-tip. Check for any neon green color points which indicate liquid damage.
            The paddle is fine.
            I am using the same paddle for both sides .
            And no liquid damage

Comment

All good. Try the C paddle board connector swap. After this, I am going to conclude the SPI flash rom to be replaced with pre-programmed firmware or reflashed.

You could remove the SPI flash from the working side and place here to test the theory.

The internet is flooded with chatter that all ACE controllers need to be working to allow for the 1v1 LDO to enable. Not seeing that here yet 1/2 of your ports do allow for the 20V power contract negotiations. So confused.

If indeed the non-working side has a bad ACE controller then why is the other side working ?

The local firmware (SPI flash rom) is needed by the MASTER ACE controller to understand how to communicate with the mated power adapter.

I think the non-working side is not required since the 20V is being selected but yet the logic board is not booting.

I will check if we have one of these logic boards in the building but do not believe so.

As long as the connections from the outside world (power adapter) are reaching the main logic board, then this should work on all ports.

Try the C connector board swap and post your results.

Comment

All good. Try the C paddle board connector swap. After this, I am going to conclude the SPI flash rom to be replaced with pre-programmed firmware or reflashed.

You could remove the SPI flash from the working side and place here to test the theory.

The internet is flooded with chatter that all ACE controllers need to be working to allow for the 1v1 LDO to enable. Not seeing that here yet 1/2 of your ports do allow for the 20V power contract negotiations. So confused.

If indeed the non-working side has a bad ACE controller then why is the other side working ?

The local firmware (SPI flash rom) is needed by the MASTER ACE controller to understand how to communicate with the mated power adapter.

I think the non-working side is not required since the 20V is being selected but yet the logic board is not booting.

I will check if we have one of these logic boards in the building but do not believe so.

As long as the connections from the outside world (power adapter) are reaching the main logic board, then this should work on all ports.

Try the C connector board swap and post your results.
                Hey ,

About the first bold line : I think that the 1.1v LDO will present if the ACE controller is good , however if one of the ACE controller is bad the the board will not boot up . so you can have a situation when not all the 1.1v_LDO will be present and the board will not boot up.

About my second bold line: I swap , and the situation didnt changed.

Two last things:
                one : what is your opinion about the coils values and the measurements on QB400 and Q3100 and Q3200 that i posted ?
                second : I asked from the person who soldered the U3200 to send me a photo of the pads before the soldering the new chip. please see attached photo. it seems that pad #86 ( GND) and pad #71 ( USBC_XB_AUXLSX1) which are exist , were not re-solder right. what do you think?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by noz_1974; 02-09-2022, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by noz_1974 View Post
                  Hello ,

I just bought a broken MacBook Pro A1990 , year 2018 board number : 820-01041A.

The previous owner of the MacBook told me that a little bit of water touched the left hand USB C port and the computer shuts off. He took it to the lab and they said that the CD3215C is bad and need to be replaced but they are not good at this .

Anyway , I bought this computer and start examine it , here is what I found ( battery unplugged :

1. All the USB C ports are stuck in 5V / 0.4A
                  2. PPBUS_G3H is present 12.3V
                  3. PP3v3_G3H is present 3.3V
                  4. PP3v3_S5 is 1.3V
                  5. PP1v8_G3S is missing

I am not familiar with the power sequence of a MacBook Pro.

So, anyone can guide me what do to next ? can it be a problem of T2 chip ? I thought that if there is a problem with the CD3215C so only the damaged chip will show abnormal behaviour .

Thank you for your help.
                  Check the power connections. ...
                  Swap out the power cable or adapter. ...
                  Charge the battery. ...
                  Turn up the screen brightness. ...
                  Remove all accessories and peripherals from the Mac. ...
                  Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)

Comment

Since, U3200 was replaced, be sure that the parts near U3200 are present and properly soldered.

Specifically, see attached.

Post the voltage readings for the highlighted resistors. For this test, use the adapter on the non-working side.

Have you attempted to use the power adapter by rotating the adapter connector ? Do try that as well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Since, U3200 was replaced, be sure that the parts near U3200 are present and properly soldered.

Specifically, see attached.

Post the voltage readings for the highlighted resistors. For this test, use the adapter on the non-working side.

Have you attempted to use the power adapter by rotating the adapter connector ? Do try that as well.
                      Hello mon2 ,

Those resistors are connected to the ROM chip U2890.
                      I measured the voltages once again :
                      R3097 voltage is 0v
                      R3095 and R3094 the voltage is 0.07v.

all the components near U3200 are present.
                      yes , i did try to use the power adapter by rotating it, no change.
                      Last edited by noz_1974; 02-09-2022, 10:22 AM.

Comment

One possible theory is that the SPI Bus master HAS attempted to chat with the SPI flash rom and then quit due to bad firmware so by the time you proceed to monitor the line, the transactions are over. However, concerned that these rails are @ 0v. That is not correct.

The working SPI rom has non-zero values with your tools.

Do not have the proper experience but perhaps the liquid has damaged the TBT (Thunderbolt) IC portion that communicates with this local SPI flash device. Or that there is corrosion on the TBT chip. From my limited exposure to the Intel TBT device - believe it is a small BGA device and could be reflowed ?

They wanted my first born to receive the NDA. We were one of the few that did receive it and then they pulled it and wanted to work with offshore companies. My response, sure thing, we love supporting those that have cloned our products in the past. My purpose in life is to make the offshore companies more money and put us under. How soon can we start the training ?

If you feel comfortable, with flux, reflow the TBT device.

As a company, we chased Intel for many many moons - back when the interface was supposed to be optical. They apparently have their favourite 'startup' friends in the back alleys of Taipei whom they will allow to use such devices but do not care about the North American firms. Intel is a corrupt and sinking ship.

Comment

Hey mon2,

Which device is the TBT ? What it's U # ?
                          About the water damage , i really think that it was a temporary short on the USB C port which cause to some chip to burn out, there is no trace of liquid ( corrosion ) on the board. This is why i am still suspecting the ACE chips. As you wrote the output rails from the ACE chips to the SPI are zero , so maybe the ROM chip is okay and the ACE chip is still faulty ( shorts under it).
                          What do you think , should I also reflow U3200 or maybe replace also U3100 ?

thanks
                          Last edited by noz_1974; 02-09-2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

1) See attached. Be sure that each and every cap that is highlighted is present on the board. These are PCIe DC blocking caps and they MUST be present and without a short. Else the TBT controller for the side that is not working, will fail to function.

2) The side that is not working is based on the ALPINE RIDGE controller

UB2800 Alpine Ridge TBT controller links to ACE controllers UB3100 & UB3200 = non-working set.

and

UB0000 Titan Ridge TBT controller links to ACE controllers UB300 & UB400 = working set. Leave this group alone since you can reach 20V on this side.

3) Review if any of the PCIe caps are missing - reflow if any one of them looks ugly due to the possible liquid damage. Then, if you feel comfortable, consider to flux and reflow U2800 but it is a large device but should be do-able with enough flux and patience to possibly remove any liquid damaged balls. 'Make it dance' but do not disturb the surrounding parts.

Perhaps before you do this, you can try some other simple ideas such as:

a) if you remove the flash rom that is not working - do the lines that are reporting to be 0v get pulled up to 3v3 ?

b) consider to reflow the non-working flash rom in case it was hit with the liquid. Try this idea first.

Just do not want to go down the rabbit hole and nuke something else.

I did check the market for a logic board to toy with but they are not cheap so for now, we are without this box in our shop.
                            Attached Files

Comment

2) The side that is not working is based on the ALPINE RIDGE controller

UB2800 Alpine Ridge TBT controller links to ACE controllers UB3100 & UB3200 = non-working set.

3) Review if any of the PCIe caps are missing - reflow if any one of them looks ugly due to the possible liquid damage.

Perhaps before you do this, you can try some other simple ideas such as:

a) if you remove the flash rom that is not working - do the lines that are reporting to be 0v get pulled up to 3v3 ?

b) consider to reflow the non-working flash rom in case it was hit with the liquid. Try this idea first.

About 2 : Did you saw the photo that i sent about the pads below U3200 , one of the pads #71 which connected to the TBT looks a little bit not fully soldered. the name of the net : USBC_XB_AUXLSX1 , attached the photo once again ( third on the right column ) the first pad is gnd also little bit fishy.

About 3 : all the caps are there , no liquid damage.

About 3a : great idea will try that.

About 3b : also great idea will try it first
                              Attached Files

Comment

When the solder pads are fluxed, such ugly looking pads will be fine. The issue is if the pad goes missing. These are just thin discs of copper on top of fibreglass (FR4) laminate material. This is why it is important to use flux and allow for the balls to become liquid before using tweezers to move the part. All with enough patience and the balls & pads will be fine.

If you believe that U3100 could be an issue, consider to flux and reflow it as well. We have tried almost everything else so perhaps worth a try. You do not need to remove it but just 'make it dance' with flux and heat. Nudge it with tweezers to make the balls re-settle again.

Comment

Thanks ,

Few more questions :
                                  1 . What will be to final reading that i suppose to see ? 20v which draw how many amps?
                                  2. why not to try to replace U3100? you think that because U3200 is the master and its doesnt present 1.1V_LDO so he is the faulty one ? Can it be a situation which U3200 will show 20v and U3100 will show 5v ?
                                  3. In order to get 1.1v_LDO on U3100 ,do i need to get 1.1v_LDO on U3200 ?
                                  4. And for my good feeling , that i didnt do something stupid . The fact that UB300 and UB400 were on 20v after the U3200 replacement means that i didnt have a problem with the T2 chip that i could resolve with a software, right ?

thanks
                                  Last edited by noz_1974; 02-09-2022, 01:16 PM.

Comment

here are the results for U2890 , DC measurements:

Pin1 TBT_X_SPI_CS_L : 3.3v
                                    Pin2 TBT_X_SPI_MISO : 3.33v
                                    Pin3 TBT_X_SPI_ROM_WP_L :0.726v
                                    Pin4 GND : 0v
                                    Pin5 TBT_X_SPI_MOSI: 0v
                                    Pin6 TBT_X_SPI_CLK: 0.07v

Pin7 TBT_X_ROM_HOLD_L: 3.33v
                                    Pin8 PP3V3_UPC_XB_LDO: 3.33v
                                    From this earlier post, pins 5 & 6 have an issue.

From my understanding, the ACE controller @ U3200 is the SPI bus master and the SPI flash is the SPI slave.

So U3200 is driving the CLK and the MOSI (Master-out-slave-in) pins.

Remove all power, meter in resistance mode (2k scale is ok).

Measure and post the resistance to ground for:

UPC_XB_SPI_CLK (R3095, pin #2)
                                    UPC_XB_SPI_MOSI (R3097, pin # 2)

Do you see a low resistance on either or both of these lines ?

If not, perhaps the device @ U3200 is not soldered properly - that is, the balls for these 2 interface pins are not mated with the solder pads on the PCB.

This will explain a high resistance yet no activity on the interface pins that are required to communicate with the SPI flash device @ U2890.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Hey mon2,

You were right but still there is no happy end.
                                      apparently U2890 was a little bit off from its pad, didnt see till now.
                                      I brought it back to place and U3200 and U3100 presented 20v but draw only 70mA.
                                      Than a terrible accident happened, the board fell on the ground and bend a little bit. Now the voltage on each USB C is 5V and drawing 250mA.
                                      I dont know what do to now , is this the end?
                                      Last edited by noz_1974; 02-10-2022, 07:00 AM.

Comment

the board fell on the ground and bend a little bit.
                                        Oh boy.

Check for any damaged parts on the top / bottom of the PCB.

Post the voltage readings for:

1) Each CD3215 LDO rail - if any of the rails are OFF or low then stop searching and need to focus on that ACE controller for damaged parts.

2) PPBUS_G3H

3) U2890 flash - each pin

4) UB090 flash - each pin

5)

I2C_TBT_T_SCL (RB034, pin #2)

I2C_TBT_T_SDA (RB034, pin #2)

6)

I2C_TBT_X_SCL (R2834, pin # 2)

I2C_TBT_X_SDA (R2835, pin # 2)

Comment

Hey ,

I am so depressed right now.
                                          I will check it first thing on Sunday and will update you.
                                          I cant believe that i touched the 20v and than this tragedy .
                                          And once again , i couldnt do it without you . Thanks alot

Comment

Working...
                                          X