Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

The caps in the "ring" are where the OE128 is usually located, although it is usually square.
    In your case, the trouble may be elsewhere? Shame its not a $1.60 NEC/TOKIN OE128, even if they last only 3 months after replacing, they are cheap.

Comment

Should I give up on her?

Comment

Unless you want to relegate it to a desk job with a permanent power supply of 10.5V @ 4A running into a hacked battery pack. I'm not that knowledgeable on electronics to steer you in any other direction.

Comment

Originally posted by 68pishta View Post
          OK, who has the best prices on these Tants?
          The ebay link provided above by LuSiD seems the cheapest, especially if the extra ones can be shared with someone here. A costlier option is to choose suitable caps from: http://au.mouser.com/Passive-Compone...20v337&FS=True . Within US the shipping is probably $4.99.

Comment

MicroFarads in Torrance does seem to be the least expensive, and based in USA. Too bad they have a $15 minimum order. Ill let you all know how my OE128 install with a soldering iron works. I cant believe in the NEC datasheet, they give the OE128 a 1000hr life? Thats like <6 months @ 6hrs/day! :-O

Comment

MicroFarads in Torrance does seem to be the least expensive, and based in USA.
              Yes, I had checked that through the ebay site mentioned above. Their prices on their own site are lower ($1.29 per cap) than what they are offering on ebay but I did not find the cheaper shipping option. May be you can see that option if you access their site from the US. Also, the manufacturing code suggests that the caps were probably manufactured in July 2007 but I am not sure if that would have any significant impact on their quality now.

Comment

I cant believe in the NEC datasheet, they give the OE128 a 1000hr life? Thats like <6 months @ 6hrs/day! :-O
                As I have mentioned earlier, Toshiba should have never gone for OE128 in the first place or, at least, recalled the product. There are many who have gone away from Toshiba due to such issues.

Comment

Originally posted by rezza22 View Post
                  Should I give up on her?
                  No one seems to have tried replacing those small caps so we do not know for sure what the problem is. Someone needs to take up the challenge, which would also help others with similar issues.

Comment

Hi. New here. From yesterday
                    Same problem. Capacitor changing, it`s working but was hard becouse my Antex 18 and 25W are a little to small enough and capacitors ( 3 + 1 ) was from another old notebook.

Nice day to All

Mike

PS. Sorry for my poor English
                    Attached Files

Comment

What was the total amount of capacitance you installed (in uf) Im getting 2 OE128's in the mail hopefully today but would have installed what I had but it was only about 800, thought you needed 1200? The center strips are common(-) so you can do what he did and criss-cross the caps from side to side if that helps. still try ing to figure out how Ill mount the new OE128, reflow ( and melt the chip) or solder just at the edges...? Ill post back.

Comment

3 x 330 + 1 x 330 = 1320 uF.

Comment

I'm sure this has probably been tried or isn't relevant but it worked for me with a power problem on a Toshiba Satellite. Simply did a power reset by removing the power cable and the battery, holding the power button down for 30 seconds, then replacing the battery and the power cable. It was simple but in my particular case, effective.

Comment

Taxman, I dont believe that reset is applicable to the problem we are experiencing, but it sure works on Digital Cameras...Our issue is the power difference between the battery and the A/C transformer feed, it should be the same or at least be switcheable without issue. This capacitor is the common issue. My caps didnt come today so it will be Sunday before I can post my OE128 install results.

Comment

hello all ...... i have also the same problem with my acer aspire 2920 when i plugg in adpater pin it crashes the display and hangs the notebook i read about the caps nec 0907 and found that i should change this component but what should i replace on its place and how can i determine the capasitance of a capasitor

Comment

hi i have also this problem but not in toshiba ....... i have actually acer aspire 2920 with the same problem when i plugg it hangs or some times display crashes so it had also nec 0e907 ................... now after changing this caps its works fine but one thing i want to know how to determine the capasitance of a capsitor................. thanks to all of you

Comment

907 means 900uf. Its ok to go over, maybe by 50%
                                  The total ESR of the replacement is important. It should be the same or less than the original.

Comment

Well, finally got my OE128's from China, got 2 for $3US shipped, not bad but it took 24 days to get here. Anyway, I attempted to solder the chip back on by tinning the backside and heating the edges of the solder pads but it wouldnt stick, so I reflowed it with a heat gun, blistering the top slightly in the process. But it has been working flawlessly for 2 weeks now. I can boot under battery or A/C or even change in the middle of the boot process, no change. My old battery now shows an X indicating the battery needs to be replaced, but I knew that prior, it loses 1% every 5 seconds it is run off battery! I can safely say that the OE128 is a viable repair if you have access to a reflow station or a heat gun. I used low setting for 30 seconds to preheat the area (masked in foil) and then 10 seconds at high heat about 2 inches away. I blistered the top cover at about 8 seconds so I might have been a little close. I kept circling the chip with the heat gun so as not to concentrate the heat in one spot. So far so good, I keep it on 24-7. When I reassembled it I have a slight bow in the keyboard and the power bezel, wonder what I missed? Makes the keyboard flex slightly. Seems all the clips are fastened and screws are tight.

Comment

Hi I got the same problem, same symptoms and everything for Toshiba Satellite L300 with Inter Dual Core 2.0 ghz.

Anyone here from Philippines, where did you guys buy caps? TIA!

Comment

I found this site and decided to fix my Toshiba Satellite L300. It was rebooting every 10 minutes non-stop, with the AC plugged in. With the battery it was good, but with the AC plugged in, it would always reboot.

Not a heat problem.

I found the OE128 capacitor inside. Broke it with small pliers, and removed piece by piece. Found four 330uF capacitors in another laptop motherboard. Not sure about ESR values, but they should be low because they were near the CPU. I used these and soldered in place like in the photos at the beginning of this thread. I used a 30w soldering iron. There is only a hairline gap seperating the + and - on the motherboard, so I had to be really careful. Very easy to stuff it up.

Reassembled the Toshiba and it works great. Does not randomly reboot. I can keep it running all day and it won't reboot, where as before it would reboot for no reason 3-4 times per hour.
                                        Last edited by image079; 01-08-2013, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by image079 View Post
                                          I found this site and decided to fix my Toshiba Satellite L300. It was rebooting every 10 minutes non-stop, with the AC plugged in. With the battery it was good, but with the AC plugged in, it would always reboot.

Not a heat problem.

I found the OE128 capacitor inside. Broke it with small pliers, and removed piece by piece. Found four 330uF capacitors in another laptop motherboard. Not sure about ESR values, but they should be low because they were near the CPU. I used these and soldered in place like in the photos at the beginning of this thread. I used a 30w soldering iron. There is only a hairline gap seperating the + and - on the motherboard, so I had to be really careful. Very easy to stuff it up.

Reassembled the Toshiba and it works great. Does not randomly reboot. I can keep it running all day and it won't reboot, where as before it would reboot for no reason 3-4 times per hour.
                                          Nice! Can you post some pictures of the job you made I'd like to see the outcome. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                          X