Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A1286 with 820-3330 sleep wake failure in efi, battery drains fast

Hi,

Let me share you a story that could be useful - not just with this model mentioned.

Symptoms:
    - Battery drains fast, 20-25% a day while sleeping.
    - As soon as it runs flat Mac turns off, like normal.
    - When hooked on charger starts twice (two chimes), then boots normally, but a message appears in the OS "Sleep wake failure in EFI..." The exact message already lost, but many things can cause this as I saw, so wont point out the source of the problem.

So I changed in pmset the standbydelays to 100, and hibernatemode to 3. In this small period I could check what is happening. It turned out that the Mac wont go to standby (deep sleep), SIL kept blinking after a 2 sec longer "on" state (fans started also for 2 secs).

Final clue:
    - SSD... EVO 860 hates deep sleep. (Or just this one, I dont know yet!) Looks like it kept the machine in normal sleep mode. I have changed it to an original Apple SSD, no more sleep wake failures, 2 times more battery time when running from it, and able to go to deep sleep again!

I hope it was understandable, sorry for my bad english!

Have a nice day!
    Best wishes,
    Andras

Re: A1286 with 820-3330 sleep wake failure in efi, battery drains fast

Yes there are some issues with non-Apple SSD. In most cases the 2.5" work fine but they may have TRIM disabled by default. If your SSD doesn't work just try one from another brand. Also make sure to reinstall/upgrade macOS to the latest version with the original drive, so that the BootROM is updated properly.

It's much more common to have issues with blade SSD on newer machines, and the hibernation issue is a known issue on L2013 machines that use an AHCI drive and not an NVMe drive, in that case best way is to use a Transcend JetDrive 820.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Re: A1286 with 820-3330 sleep wake failure in efi, battery drains fast

Standby (deep sleep) was introduced in 2012 mid Retina MBP's, regarding Apple's description. However my one is a non retina 2012 mid 15" so I think this was the reason why I had problems with a 2,5" SSD. Earlyer MBP's wont have deep sleep problems, because they can not have. I am still using that EVO in my 2009 MBP.

I bought that 860 because it was in every top 5 suggestions for Macs all over the web. But the fun is 8XX series are trim blacklisted in the kernel. I would not be surprised if there would be something else...

I tried the clean install catalina, trimforce, ssd firmware update, no deal. This Sleep/wake failure is a well known symptom, read about on many forums. But as I understood these machines usually forget to wake up from sleep mode rather than going into it.

On an official forum I found the same problem description like mine, same EFI message including the code in the report and the battery drainage. The service wanted to replace the logic board for the customer...

Now I leave this oiriginal ssd, it works fine, if I will need more internal space i will buy a larger apple drive or as you suggested a JetDrive. The only disadvantage of the latter solution is the Mac wont go to sleep while it is plugged in... When the snake bites its tail...

Thanks Piernov for the infos!
      Best wishes,
      Andras

Comment

Working...
      X