Overheading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheading

I have a old laptop that has been overheating so I changed the cpu settings to run at 70% while not running on the battery.

It runs better now, thanks.

So lets see I have lots of updates is the windows 10 free for or will it ask me for something when I make all the updates? I had Windows Vista and now I am running Windows 7.

I want to get this working well, I also got a fan for the bottom of the computer laptop and a stan where I can put Ice Packs if it is really hot.

Re: Overheading

Originally posted by NormanSaxon86 View Post
    I have a old laptop that has been overheating so I changed the cpu settings to run at 70% while not running on the battery.

It runs better now, thanks.

So lets see I have lots of updates is the windows 10 free for or will it ask me for something when I make all the updates? I had Windows Vista and now I am running Windows 7.

I want to get this working well, I also got a fan for the bottom of the computer laptop and a stan where I can put Ice Packs if it is really hot.

Why don't you clean the internal fan ? , do you really think an external fan will prevent its doom ? . Even if you're not a professional , you can always use an Air blow can to clean it from outside . An external fan cannot do the job when the inside is boiling .
    Fair warning , do not turn it on if you don't do that ...

Comment

If the heat sink is blocked with hair and lint then no amount of compressed air will remove the blockagenand the fan at the bottom will do nothing either.
      There is no substitute for stripping the laptop down and cleaning properly. You can also clean and replace the thermal compound at the same time.

Install or run GWX control panel or Never10 and select/deselect the Windows 10 options. You can then apply all the updates and patches without the fear of an accidental install of Windows 10.

Comment

I already took this Laptop apart and clocked down the CPU.
        Can I update Window 10 free or it is going to mess up my computer again?

Comment

Originally posted by NormanSaxon86 View Post
          I already took this Laptop apart and clocked down the CPU.
          Can I update Window 10 free or it is going to mess up my computer again?
          Some say Windows 10 is a mess on its own. I've reinstalled Windows 7 on many computers that the users have upgraded to 10. They find drivers aren't correct, programs don't work and it looks nasty.

For me, an OS is a platform from which to launch my software. I want it stable and consistent. Windows 10 is subject to change at Microsoft's will.

Comment

Working...
          X