Dell Latitude E6320 - Completely dead, no {lights,fans,CPU heat}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Latitude E6320 - Completely dead, no {lights,fans,CPU heat}

Just picked this up from the trash @ work.

Dell Latitude E6320. Unsure of battery charge level. I *DO* have the docking station.

When plugged into power adapter (even my wife's - known good), I get no lights from the laptop. Removed battery, press power button - still nothing.

Tried the same procedure using the docking station to eliminate DC Jack wire/solder issue, same exact results.

I've removed the mainboard from the laptop and see nothing out of the ordinary. What are some ideas I can try next?
    Attached Files

Re: Dell Latitude E6320 - Completely dead, no {lights,fans,CPU heat}

Battery voltage is 11.92V
    Label on battery says 11.1V, 65Wh

Comment

Here's the schematic.
      Attached Files

Comment

DEAR LORD thanks so much for the schematic!

Current path:
        1) Battery and AC adapter supply +PWR_SRC
        RESULTS: GOOD
        PJP44 (+PWR_SRC) - 11.1V with only battery, 19.6V with AC adapter plugged in

2) IC "PU2" takes +PWR_SRC and turns it into +5V_ALW, +15V_ALW, and +3.3V_ALW
        RESULTS:BAD
        PJP49 (+15V_ALW) - 0.0V
        PJP45 (+5V_ALW2) - 1.5mV(essentially zero)
        PJP63 (+3.3_ALW) - 0.0V

Closeup of PU2 attached.
        Attached Files

Comment

Can someone offer me some guidance on how PU2 works and how to test for proper operation?

The chip is a SN0608098.

Comment

Namely, does it require gate voltage to "turn on"?
            Or is it simply apply +PWR_SRC and ground, and it automatically output +15V_ALW, +5V_ALW, and +3.3V_ALW ?

I've searched everywhere I know of, and can't find a datasheet. It's manufactured by Texas Instruments, but it doesn't come up in a search on TI's website.
            Last edited by fuxxy; 02-18-2015, 02:21 PM.

Comment

+15V_ALW Test points are PJP49
              +5V_ALW Test points are PJP47, PJP48
              +3.3V_ALW Test Points are PJP9, PJP50

Comment

The chip is a SN0608098.

are you sure that's right, or is it SN608098

Comment

The schematic says SN0608098
                  The chip says
                  SN

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't think I needed to be that precise
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pm6686 = isl6236 = sn608098.

Comment

Seems like a spill victim from 1st closeup of PU2.
                      PU2 should output voltage if enable signals are present and VIN is present.

Comment

Originally posted by khaahk View Post
                        Seems like a spill victim from 1st closeup of PU2.
                        PU2 should output voltage if enable signals are present and VIN is present.
                        Quite possible, I picked up this laptop from work and have no idea of it's history. It was placed in the bin, in a covered area, but still outside in the texas humidity.

from the MAX17101 datasheet, it has a separate 3.3V "RTC" pin, I do get 3.3V from that.

I'll doublecheck at the actual pin to eliminate trace damage.

Which is "Enable"? Pin 4?
                        Pin 4 - ONLDO - Enable Input for LDO. Drive ONLDO high to enable the linear regulator (LDO) output. Drive ONLDO low to
                        shut down the linear regulator output.

If it is, in fact, pin 4 - and it is driven high - what sort of voltage should I see? Around 5V?

EDIT:
                        It looks like pin 14 and 27 are also Enable pins.
                        4 is to turn on LDO regulator - Measured 0.263V
                        14 is to turn on "Output 1" - Measured 0.263V
                        27 is to turn on "Output 2" - Measured 0.263V

Still curious about "good" voltage. Trying to determine if the problem is with the chip itself, or the supply circuit.
                        Last edited by fuxxy; 02-19-2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

4-5V should be "good", datasheet states that it should VCC voltage.
                          What is VIN voltage on PIN6?

Comment

Pin 6 VIN is 20.0 volts with adapter plugged in. Roughly 12 volts with only battery.

Comment

Does the chip get hot?
                              PIN 7 output should be 5V.

Comment

Chip does not get hot - Roughly 105mV on pin 7
                                Last edited by fuxxy; 02-20-2015, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I'm concerned that some sort of logic on the board is shutting the regulator down. Would it be logical to remove the regulator and check pins 4, 14, and 27 for +5V?

Comment

The PIN4 - ENLDO should get its high state from divider PR42-PR44 using signal ALWON which is coming from MEC5055 microcontroller. I think that MEC5055 is powered from PU14 3.3V_ALW signal. The PU14 seems like some kind of power/charging selector controller. Check PU14
                                    pin 18 - output 3.3V ?
                                    pin 9 - input 3.3V ?
                                    pin 1 - DCIN adapter voltage?

Comment

PU14
                                      Pin 1 - 19.8V
                                      Pin 9 - 3.28V
                                      Pin 18 - 0.1mV

Comment

Seems like PU14 is not outputting 3.3V to MEC5055. Why - good question, some missing control signal maybe, maybe its not working as it should.
                                        Does PU14 get hot? Resistance from pin18 to gnd?
                                        If not then can you insert 3.3V manually to PIN18 and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                        X