X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Air 13 2014 - Remove EFI password

Hello,

I have a MacBook Air 13 inches 2014.

I have set a EFI password and I can't remember it : now I want to reinstall macOS and I can't because the MacBook is asking for the password.

I know how to remove the password with a usb programmer.
    I plug the usb programmer to the motherboard and to my pc with usb, I read the EFI and I save it to a file.

Then I have to find this value in the file : $SVS because it indicate where is the password.

But I can't find the value.

I have attached the file

Thank you if you can help me
    Attached Files

You will need to move this thread to the BIOS forum. See above.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...ac-efi-toolkit

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

The software does not recognize my file

Click image for larger versionName:	mefit-114-message.jpgViews:	0Size:	58.4 KBID:	3271182

Comment

That BIOS file doesn't look right. Can you try reading again and compare the two to make sure?

Comment

Hello,

I read again and can open the file with MacEfiToolkit but still can't find $SVS in it

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024_05_15.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	3271280

Comment

Originally posted by ritalo View Post
              Hello,

I read again and can open the file with MacEfiToolkit but still can't find $SVS in it

Name:	2024_05_15.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	3271280
              Kindly upload the file again

Comment

Originally posted by ritalo View Post
                Hello,

What model is your programmer and the software version. Are you using a clip, how are you attaching the chip to the programmer

All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Hello,

Here is the file

The usb programmer is GZUt EZP XPro V2 Usb Flash Writer
                  The software I use are GZUT_EZP_XPro 2.1 and WinHex 20.3 SR 5

I am not using a clip, I am attaching the chip by plugging the programmer on the connector on the motherboard.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is a bad dump, most of the info is missing. Should look like this in UEFI tool (this is from an old dump off an 820-3437 board).

Not sure about your programmer and using the header. I never use it as it's not exactly reliable and often corroded. Easier to just hot air U6100 off and read it directly on your programmer.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-15 223242.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	3271373

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
                      This is a bad dump, most of the info is missing. Should look like this in UEFI tool (this is from an old dump off an 820-3437 board).

Not sure about your programmer and using the header. I never use it as it's not exactly reliable and often corroded. Easier to just hot air U6100 off and read it directly on your programmer.
                      Its an EZP**** programmer,piece of crap. He might be able to read it by slowing the speed down,it has an option to do that

All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I cleaned all the connectors with electronic contact cleaner.

Now it works.

Name:	Capture d'écran 2024-05-15 185943.png
Views:	59
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	3271552

I have found the $SVS value in the file.

Comment

Can you tell me if I have selected the correct part of the file and if I have to fill it with 00 or FF?

Name:	Capture d'écran 2024-05-15 191902.png
Views:	58
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	3271565

Comment

You could use the Mac EFI Toolkit to remove the EFI password by clicking the padlock

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your help

I have unlocked the EFI file with MacEfiToolkit

I have plugged the usb programmer to the motherboard and to the pc
                              I have plugged the power adapter to the MacBook

When I write the bin file to the EFI of the MacBook, it power up at least one time during the process and I have to power it down for the process to continue.

But the writing is not good because after it, the MacBook powers up but does not boot, there is no "Dong" at startup and the screen stays black.

Comment

You can't do it that way. Your programmer has to supply that power to the chip, and as it's in circuit it's unlikely to be able to do that (especially since it's an EZP programmer and it draws its power off a USB port). This is why you remove the chip off the board and place it directly into the programmer via a WSON8 programmer adaptor.

The only one I know that DOES work onboard is the CMZapper Medusa 2, but it's an expensive device. Cheaper to buy this adaptor, and just hot air the chip off the board.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...Cquery_from%3A

Comment

I have successfully written the EFI using a similar method, but you may need to try with/without battery and/or power supply. If that fails, then certainly remove the EFI ROM with hot air and do it that way.

Comment

Hello,

I have written the EFI with the power adapter and the battery. The MacBook does not power up during the process when both are plugged.

But verification fails and the MacBook still does not boot.

I will retry hoping it will work

Comment

Working...
                                    X