Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba Satellite L300 overheating ,bad heatsink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite L300 overheating ,bad heatsink?

The method above with freezing the heat pipe is good, but it takes some time. It is much easier to try with fingers if the heatpipe is not equally hot above the CPU and at the ribs where the fan blows but you must turn the fan OFF to check this.

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
      Have you tested the heat pipe also to see how well it conducts heat?
      I tested the heatpipe where the cpu and vga is by running hot water and then quickly with cold water they change temperature almost instantly.
      But the fins by the fan always stays warm never too hot nor cold.when I did the test.

Comment

Originally posted by lord View Post
        The method above with freezing the heat pipe is good, but it takes some time. It is much easier to try with fingers if the heatpipe is not equally hot above the CPU and at the ribs where the fan blows but you must turn the fan OFF to check this.
        I will try this method by removing the fan and switching on the laptop for a few seconds and see where all the heat spreads.

Comment

Originally posted by fabiog View Post
          I tested the heatpipe where the cpu and vga is by running hot water and then quickly with cold water they change temperature almost instantly.
          But the fins by the fan always stays warm never too hot nor cold.when I did the test.
          I don't understand how you are testing it.
          Like explained earlier, hold the CPU/GPU plate while running hot water through the fins, the fins that the fan normally blows air through.

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
            I don't understand how you are testing it.
            Like explained earlier, hold the CPU/GPU plate while running hot water through the fins, the fins that the fan normally blows air through.
            I'm sorry I did it the opposite way I poured the water ontop of the CPU and VGA plates and held the fins in my hand.
            I will have to redo the test.

Comment

It does matter in which position you hold the heatpipe because it reacts on the matter of gravity (hotter gas is lighter and it moves towards the fins.

Comment

I tried without the fan connected, the CPU and VGA section gets hot but the fins by the fan stays cool even without fan .I then switched off the laptop, removed heatsink and quickly poured cold water over fins but the CPU and VGA plates stayed hot.
                It took long to cool down and I suspect it's not doing it's job correctly because I assume that when it works properly the fan starts to blow on the fins then the VGA and CPU plates should cool down instantly.
                The sticker on the heatsink says that it's four years old.
                The problem seems to be by the heatpipe inside the fins.

Comment

It's not uncommon for heatpipes to leak. Now that you found it, a new heatpipe assembly should solve the problem.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I have to buy a new one as I don't trust used ones ,they might end up having same problem sooner or later.

Comment

I have the same problem with overheating, nothing helps (tried a few thermal pads and compounds). Had to buy a new heatsink and a new cpu (core 2 duo) on ebay, will report later. Does anyone know what are those (1) and (2)? I don't have those on my L300-11q. (1) looks like USB bluetooth (I don't have bluetooth), (2) looks like some kind of a light sensor (I don't have it either).

Comment

You see that big chip underneath your CPU, it says NEC/Tokin 0E97/0E128 on it, that is what's causing your problems, not the heatsink or CPU. Look at the Nec/Tokin thread on this forum to see how to fix it.
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

(1) I think is the webcam cable since my board is the same.
                          (2) Is speakers.
                          Or the other way round i have to check.
                          I will also report if my problem has been solved as soon as I get heatsink, the new ones are expensive so will ask sellers that sell used if they can test them with the water method.

Comment

(1) I think is the webcam cable since my board is the same.
                            (2) Is speakers.
                            Or the other way round i have to check.
                            Thank you! I'm sure that (1) is USB now, pinout looked just like the usb connector on the right side, so yes, it's most probably an USB webcam. I have working speakers but (2) is not occupied so it could be something else.

Regarding overheating - it would probably take a few weeks until I get my order (core 2 duo and a heatsink assembly). People say some faulty CPUs are hotter than usual. And I tried testing with a hot water, looks like those pipes don't transfer heat very well.

Regarding Nec/Tokin - there's a huge 11-page topic about it https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8991 - but it's mostly about power failure, not overheating. I'll try it last, not sure I can remove it well without a fan (most probably will use 4x330 uF for the replacement).
                            Last edited by joric; 10-02-2012, 04:51 AM.

Comment

I've checked and (2) is microphone cable coming from the monitor.
                              Did you order new heatsink or used one ,ebay.com or uk.

Comment

I've checked and (2) is microphone cable coming from the monitor.
                                Did you order new heatsink or used one ,ebay.com or uk.
                                I was ordering on ebay.com (paid about $14). They all seem used.
                                If heatsink won't help I'll try shunting Nec/Tokin with a few ceramic capacitors (I really afraid to damage motherboard removing it).

Just noticed there are a few new ones, damn! But they will cost at least $54, including shipping.
                                Last edited by joric; 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

If heatsink won't help I'll try shunting Nec/Tokin with a few ceramic capacitors (I really afraid to damage motherboard removing it).
                                  This capacitor has a very low life and loses capacitance in a relatively short time. The problem is not that it's overheating, the problem is that the metal inside is already fatigued from inadequately spec'd material (Perhaps from an inadequate design) and when the capacitance drops, the VRM will overheat and probably cause instability.
                                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

QUOTE=joric;270607]I have the same problem with overheating, nothing helps (tried a few thermal pads and compounds). Had to buy a new heatsink and a new cpu (core 2 duo) on ebay, will report later. Does anyone know what are those (1) and (2)? I don't have those on my L300-11q. (1) looks like USB bluetooth (I don't have bluetooth), (2) looks like some kind of a light sensor (I don't have it either).

[/QUOTE]

Have you checked your temps using a program like hwinfo, mine would go over95º and shutdown.

Comment

Sorry for the missing picture, it's here.
                                      Regarding overheating - I guess CPU shuts down at 100C, I've seen something like 95C in hwinfo.
                                      Last edited by joric; 10-03-2012, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Have you checked your temps using a program like hwinfo, mine would go over95º and shutdown.
                                        BTW don't even try mounting heatsink without a thermal pad, there's about 0.4 mm gap between the heatsink and the GPU. Now it's working with 0.3 mm pad with grease (ideally, I think, it should be a new 0.5 mm sticky thermal pad) at 90C average (up to 95C), which is not normal (it should be about 45C idle and 60C loaded, according to specs). It's either bad pipes (it's all about 4 years old) or the faulty CPU or the capacitor (or all that at once).

Comment

Try the water test like I did and you will see that it's heat pipe related.
                                          I'm just waiting to get a new one.

Comment

Working...
                                          X