Toshiba Satellite P855 charger disabled after a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite P855 charger disabled after a while

Are you sure about your measurements. With adapter only and with battery only-ACOK cant be of same value.

Comment

You're right, sorry..between translations, measurements and acrobatics I uploaded the wrong image, that image refers to BATT + AC. This is the correct image. Battery voltage is 12.30V and Windows reads 85 %.
      Attached Files

Comment

SDA should not be 0v with the battery only case. Confirm this voltage again.

Comment

You're right too, I didn't touch the multimeter tip properly.

SDA 3.34 v

Comment

These readings (with the SDA correction) look good. The battery should be charging with the battery & power adapter connected to the logic board.

Do you see video and a normal boot with this unit? Windows showing the charging icon?

Comment

The boot is normal and the Windows starts too, the only thing for the moment is that when the battery is 100% charged, the charge LED does not switch from orange to white and the charge shown by Windows may not be 100 %

Comment

If available, test with a known good or another battery. This may be a calibration issue and this information is stored on the BMS board inside the battery pack. That is a world of its own and often is not documented. Those that know are charging large sums of $$ to dump / alter / reset the battery packs.

Comment

Unfortunately I bought the battery to replace the original one and I don't have any others. I could try to do a calibration by downloading it completely.

So also the LED that doesn't turn white could depend on a wrong calibration ?

Comment

I am not 100% sure but wait on feedback from others. To me, this could be the fault.

With the replacement battery, are you able to charge the battery and operate the laptop using the charged battery for a reasonable amount of time? This will confirm that your charger IC and circuit is working and that your battery is ok.

Contact this vendor and ask for the same details:

https://www.laptopu.ro/

Update this thread with your feedback.

Comment

Yes, I confirm that the autonomy of the laptop has a reasonable duration.

I have to ask laptopu if the cause of the LED can be due to non-calibration of the battery?

However, the few times that Windows says that the autonomy is 100% the led remained orange.

Comment

After reaching the 100% status, does the orange light ever turn off? Perhaps it is a just ignore it status of this led. In the end, the BMS should do its job to stop charging when full.

There are 2 parties here, the charger IC who enables the power path to the external battery pack. Then the battery pack has the BMS PCB to perform the actual charging process. It is the BMS that has the final say.

Is the battery pack hotter than usual? This is only a primitive gauge but worth checking.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, I think the led goes off every time it reaches 100%. The battery is not hotter than usual, are you thinking of a shorted cell?

A while ago the laptop suddenly shut down (I'm trying to calibrate), the battery voltage is 0v and windows also says 0%, it's charging and one thing I didn't mention is that every time the charging starts, the % count stays where it initially is. When it's at 92% it stays at 92%, if at 85% it stops at 85% but if I check the battery voltage outside the laptop I notice that it always reaches 12.59V so it charges perfectly.

Now that it has suddenly shut down, the multimeter says 0v and Windows says 0% and it hasn't gone any further even though I know full well that charging is happening.

Edit:
                          For Windows the charge is at 4% and, bizarrely, it takes 6 minutes to complete the charge
                          Last edited by zioricci; 05-11-2023, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I shut down for almost 1 hour and before turning it back on the battery voltage was at 12.49 V but the percentage showing Windows remained at 4% and I got the message of

Your battery is very low Plug in Your PC now.

The LED is always orange.

Edit:

I have read part of this thread
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...&highlight=BMS

and I suspected that I ruined the battery with the bench power supply that I used both to see if the battery was absorbing current and to charge it.

Often the bench power supply changed the current randomly passing from 30mA to 1.48 A to 0 A to return to 1.12 etc... and it also happened, as a moment ago, that the orange led blinked and Windows told me that The level of the battery is too low, even though the measured voltage is about 12.50 v.
                            Last edited by zioricci; 05-11-2023, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zioricci View Post
                              I shut down for almost 1 hour and before turning it back on the battery voltage was at 12.49 V but the percentage showing Windows remained at 4%
                              12.49 V corresponds to a almost fully charged battery, in this case either the controller "sees" a too high wear level (very low FCC), or the cells have degraded (high internal resistance).
                              In both cases, the battery must be replaced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                              Become a Badcaps supporter
                              >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                              Thanks to all supporters.​
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

The battery discharged after 3 hours and 15 ' of work, even though Windows thought the charge was very low.

Comment

Originally posted by zioricci View Post
                                  The battery discharged after 3 hours and 15 ' of work, even though Windows thought the charge was very low.
                                  Windows doesn't "thought" anything, what it shows is only the readings of the battery controller data. So if you have any problem look for it in the battery controller itself. However, there is no way to do it without special equipment for the purpose, so it is best to replace the battery as I have already suggested.

All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                                  Become a Badcaps supporter
                                  >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                                  Thanks to all supporters.​
                                  Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
                                    Windows doesn't "thought" anything, what it shows is only the readings of the battery controller data. So if you have any problem look for it in the battery controller itself. However, there is no way to do it without special equipment for the purpose, so it is best to replace the battery as I have already suggested.

I recharged the battery, i checked almost 20' later and it was stopped at 0% and later i discovered that it was at 14% then 16% then 30% and after dinner the charge LED was finally white with 100% charge.

I don't know what happened but maybe the second recharge did her some good.
                                    Last edited by zioricci; 05-12-2023, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post

I read that sometimes if the BMS doesn't work well, it can happen that the voltage between the extremes of the battery pack and the extremes + and - on the connector are different but I opened the battery box and I found 12.47 V at both extremes of the pack batteries than on the + and - of the external connector, about 4.2v on each pair in series, while Windows always "sees" a 5%.

So it still happens that with Power adapter and battery both present, after a while the amber charging light goes off and the laptop is powered by the battery alone despite the power adapter being connected.

Could it happen that the charger IC BQ24725 works today and not tomorrow ?

Comment

Working...
                                      X