• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-55M1 [GH51G mb] powers on, no vcc_core

Hello all,

I'm stumped on this guy, so wanted to see if anyone has any further ideas:

Intro:

This is an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-55M1 with unknown prior history (bought "as-is" on eBay). It charges the battery and powers on from both AC adapter and battery, so I think this rules out main power issues.

Upon attempt to boot, it will "reboot" (meaning powers down and then powers on again) only once, and then stays stuck in a status of lights on / no post / no monitor. Powering on with fn+esc maxes out the fans on first boot attempt, but once it powers down and on again (on its own), fans go back to normal despite holding fn+esc.

All peripherals were tested in another laptop and are known good (keyboard / LCD / RAM / battery / AC adapter).

Edit because I forgot: Visual inspection shows nothing, board appears brand new.

Testing:

I began by testing the main power rails:

19_IN: There and good (19V with adapter)
    5VALW: There and good (5V)
    3VALW: There and good (3.3V)
    1.8VS: There and good (1.8V)
    1.2V_VDDQ: There and good (1.2V)

EC_RSMRST#: There and good (3.3V) <- I'm assuming that's correct

PCH_PWROK: There and good (3.3V)
    SYS_PWROK: There and good (3.3V) <- That one puzzles me.

The main suspect:

Upon testing VCC_CORE and VCC_GT (cooler off), VCC_GT is there (0.8V or thereabouts), but VCC_CORE is not. I recall measuring around 1.8V on good laptops (measured on PUH2-5), or at least something. Does not appear to be a short either, as resistance to ground measures ~20ohms. CPU does get hot, so that's weird to me as well.

I have no idea what to use to debug further. Schematic shows PUH2-5 are responsible for that VCC_CORE (I think?).

My next step was to replace PUZ1 from a donor board (I think that's the CPU VCC_CORE controller), but I stopped myself since I do not like to just throw parts at a problem. Is there anything else I can do to debug why that voltage isn't coming on? My only other idea is BIOS issue...

Thank you!
    Last edited by malogro; 04-14-2023, 04:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to add visual inspection.

Re: Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-55M1 [GH51G mb] powers on, no vcc_core

Originally posted by malogro View Post
    Hello all,

I'm stumped on this guy, so wanted to see if anyone has any further ideas:

Intro:

This is an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-55M1 with unknown prior history (bought "as-is" on eBay). It charges the battery and powers on from both AC adapter and battery, so I think this rules out main power issues.

Upon attempt to boot, it will "reboot" (meaning powers down and then powers on again) only once, and then stays stuck in a status of lights on / no post / no monitor. Powering on with fn+esc maxes out the fans on first boot attempt, but once it powers down and on again (on its own), fans go back to normal despite holding fn+esc.

All peripherals were tested in another laptop and are known good (keyboard / LCD / RAM / battery / AC adapter).

Edit because I forgot: Visual inspection shows nothing, board appears brand new.

Testing:

I began by testing the main power rails:

19_IN: There and good (19V with adapter)
    5VALW: There and good (5V)
    3VALW: There and good (3.3V)
    1.8VS: There and good (1.8V)
    1.2V_VDDQ: There and good (1.2V)

EC_RSMRST#: There and good (3.3V) <- I'm assuming that's correct

PCH_PWROK: There and good (3.3V)
    SYS_PWROK: There and good (3.3V) <- That one puzzles me.

The main suspect:

Upon testing VCC_CORE and VCC_GT (cooler off), VCC_GT is there (0.8V or thereabouts), but VCC_CORE is not. I recall measuring around 1.8V on good laptops (measured on PUH2-5), or at least something. Does not appear to be a short either, as resistance to ground measures ~20ohms. CPU does get hot, so that's weird to me as well.

I have no idea what to use to debug further. Schematic shows PUH2-5 are responsible for that VCC_CORE (I think?).

My next step was to replace PUZ1 from a donor board (I think that's the CPU VCC_CORE controller), but I stopped myself since I do not like to just throw parts at a problem. Is there anything else I can do to debug why that voltage isn't coming on? My only other idea is BIOS issue...

Thank you!
    Wait for other comments but , try to request a new clean me bios of your board on the BIOS request section maybe that will help.just a suggestion

Comment

Thanks! Yeah may want to try that as well, but need to get a flasher first...

Comment

Thanks! Yeah may want to try that as well, but need to get a flasher first...
        also please always have a complete details of your board and drop the schematic here.

Comment

Ah, yes. It's a GH51G LA-L181P Rev 1A.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=110980
          Last edited by piernov; 04-17-2023, 06:01 AM.

Comment

+VCC_SA present?

Comment

I'm assuming it's the one measured at PLG101. If so, yes, present at 1.8V.

EDIT: Sorry, never mind, schematic actually says PLA1. Trying to locate it now...
              Last edited by malogro; 04-15-2023, 12:04 AM. Reason: Measured wrong choke.

Comment

Couldn't quite find VCC_SA. Closest I could find was VCC_AUX, which is the one on PLG101, which is present at 1.8V. If that's not the one, would you point me towards where I can find that signal?

Comment

Does the capslock toggle on external keyboard. That is sign that the board is posting if not i would go for cleaning first your original bios.

Comment

It does not light up on external or embedded keyboard. I will get ahold of a flasher and try reflashing the BIOS.

Comment

Yes, strange.Schematic does mention VCCIO/VCC_SA but doesnt lead anywhere.

Comment

Update: BIOS was reflashed to ME clean. Same exact symptoms.

It DOES write to BIOS (I read back from it to see if it had changed), which I think is a good sign. But still no POST (CAPS LOCK test still negative).

My next idea would be to go for broke and replace PUZ1 or inject ~1.8V directly to VCC_CORE to see if any signs of life, but suggestions are appreciated.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dont play with voltage injection without finding the fault. AFAIK,VCC core should be approx 1V on this platform.

Comment

Upon testing VCC_CORE and VCC_GT (cooler off), VCC_GT is there (0.8V or thereabouts)
                            I'm a bit confused here since VCC_GT should not exist on this platform. Ice Lake/Tiger Lake has FIVR so single rail (VCCIN) from motherboard to CPU for all the core logic including CPU VCore and iGPU VCore, and another rail (VCCIN_AUX) for the auxiliary logic. Some other rails also feed the CPU for memory, I/O and standby operation.
                            According to Intel's datasheet, VCCIN_AUX should be 1.8V.
                            VCCIN is not specified since it's controlled by SVID but I'd guess it's a bit higher that the usual VCore, maybe similar to Haswell/Broadwell.
                            As usual though, VCCIN will be absent if CPU auxiliary circuits do not initialize and there is no SVID communication.
                            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Ah, ok, let me clarify. What I mentioned as VCC_GT is actually the graphics card core (NVVDD), so my bad there.

So VCCIN is missing, because something is not initializing correctly then. Is there any sort of checklist I can go through to see what is failing?

Comment

Ah, ok, let me clarify. What I mentioned as VCC_GT is actually the graphics card core (NVVDD), so my bad there.

So VCCIN is missing, because something is not initializing correctly then. Is there any sort of checklist I can go through to see what is failing?
                                Have you found a solution for this motherboard? I seem to have the same symptoms as yours.

Comment

Working...
                                X