A1989 (820-00850) Battery not charging, boots only from charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A1989 (820-00850) Battery not charging, boots only from charger

Got a MacBook Pro 2019 (A1989) (820-00850) that boots fine so long as it's powered from the power adapter.

On boot into macOS the battery shows as not charging, and needs servicing. Laptop runs slow, benchmarks are all 50% of expected.

Diagnostics reports a battery issue (PPT006) but also a potential SMC issue (PFM006).

Battery has 46 cycles, though went un-used for 2 or 3 years.

Trying to determine if I should go ahead and replace the battery in the hopes that's causing all the issues or if actually it's the other way around and the SMC is causing the trouble and no-charge.

Any suggestions and similar experiences appreciated!

Re: A1989 (820-00850) Battery not charging, boots only from charger

To rule out the battery, order a fresh one from a high rated vendor on Amazon (local to you). Test it and return or keep it, as you wish. Sitting idle for that duration could be the battery.

Comment

macdude101 what did you ned up finding with this? I'm in the same boat, trying to decide if it's worth ordering a battery.

Comment

Originally posted by xxsn0blindxx View Post
        macdude101 what did you ned up finding with this? I'm in the same boat, trying to decide if it's worth ordering a battery.
        whats news I'm in the same boat

Comment

@aminealae, does your logic board detect the battery? Report the # of charge cycles for this battery? Post more details.

Comment

Working...
          X