Protect NVR device with PoE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protect NVR device with PoE

Hello, I have a setup with NVR 16 Canais H.265 1080p HD PoE+ - TRENDnet TV-NVR416 that is using 10 cameras, some are outdoors. What would be the best way to protect NVR device from power surges? All ports are PoE so the NVR supply power to the cameras. NVR is pretty expensive so I would like to protect it somehow. Should I use some kind of switch that needs to be connected to the cameras, so it could "take a hit" if there is a power surge. Thank you!

You protect the power to the NVR, where the surge would enter.

Comment

find out the voltage on the POE.
      then solder big MOV's (varisters) inside the equipment at the sockets on both ends
      you need the trip voltage to be maybe double the operating voltage and the lower the capacitance the faster they can react usually.
      i'll be surprised if they dont already have something in them even if it's zener diodes

Comment

Hello and thank you for your answers.
        diif The power (230 VAC) input is unlikely place the surge woud enter. This already on APC 750 VAC UPS device. The place to enter is via ethernet cables tthat lead to cameras. The cameras are PoE which means each port of NVR supply 48 VDC.
        stj It has TVS protection. In fact I already had a situation where TVS diode got shorted. I don't want to open device to solder anything, I thoutght it would be better if there is a cheaper device like PoE switch in front of the NVR device, so I was searching for a device in that direction. I have found individual network protection devices such as this one but I would have to buy at least 10 of them.

Comment

those filters would help - keep them close to the devices

Comment

It all depends on what we are dealing with here. Maybe you don't need any, maybe the whole install is wrong and instead of CAT5e there should have been shielded CAT6 being used. How long are the runs, is there lot of lightning, is there a metal roof or siding, how good is your grounding system of the house, is the house in an urban environment or sitting alone top on a hill and the list goes on…

Comment

How are you anticipating the surge to enter the ethernet cables?
              They are in conduit ?

Comment

Hello, sorry for the late response.
                UTP cables from CCTV are in the same metal cable tray as power cable for outside lights. they are separated about 10 cm from each other, but I cannot avoid that because it is the only place where CCTV camera cables are entering house.
                In the past there was a situation where the fuse for the outside light was blown and after that TVS protection diode diode on NVR inside the house was short circuited to the ground. So I concluded that this was how surge created in the lights got transferred by induction to the UTP cable.
                Anyway, I'll try to replace regular UTP cables with at least F/UTP cables.

Comment

10cm gap, I can't see it entering rhat way but you should be using STP if you do.

Comment

Not only that, but there is something wrong with your earth ground. If something is properly earth grounded, it is very rare that a fuse blows etc. You'd have to fix that first, before the STP cables. Check that metal cable tray, wiring etc. because that probably acts as an antenna for lightning.
                    Last edited by CapLeaker; 12-27-2023, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X