This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Z2 MINI G5 - 6050A3153001-MB-A02(A2) BIOS

No Boot, No Post, 3 red 4 white. No measured shorts or visible issues on board. Under power on and thermal camera, everything on the board seems to be turning on fine (cpu/ram/gpu etc), power cycles once then during second power cycle device cuts off with the power light error code. Known good cpu and ram.

I have attached the main 32mb bios, and 16mb rom dump. I suspect, either a rom or EC or PCH issue - the PCH under thermal does seem to be quite active, but might just be confused by something coming from the EC. (Not sure if it has something to do with top swap strap (TS), sampled at rising edge pch_pwrok)

The EC chip is NUVOTON // NPCD318HA0DX >> is there any device that can read or write to this? The board has empty JTAG pads if that helps. SVOD/ vertyanov etc...?

In my dump it does look like the 16mb ROM does seem like it has something wrong with it - in uefitool "FfsParser::parseRawArea: one of objects inside overlaps the end of data" / "FfsParser::parse: not a single Volume Top File is found, the image may be corrupted" , and seems to be missing FIT/ security section. I did wipe the 16mb rom chip, installed it blank on board and it did get rewritten on poweron, with a different file to what i originally read off it. The first half was totally blank, missing a lot - but this file in uefitool did show correct FIT and security section though. Still no working device.

----

If anyone has known working dump from both 32/16 bins, schematics, or some pointers for which direction to go down would be much appreciated.
    Attached Files
  • Answer selected by reeluff at 02-15-2024, 12:23 PM.

All sorted, no worries - figured it out myself.

Comment

Originally posted by reeluff View Post
      No Boot, No Post, 3 red 4 white. No measured shorts or visible issues on board. Under power on and thermal camera, everything on the board seems to be turning on fine (cpu/ram/gpu etc), power cycles once then during second power cycle device cuts off with the power light error code. Known good cpu and ram.

I have attached the main 32mb bios, and 16mb rom dump. I suspect, either a rom or EC or PCH issue - the PCH under thermal does seem to be quite active, but might just be confused by something coming from the EC. (Not sure if it has something to do with top swap strap (TS), sampled at rising edge pch_pwrok)

The EC chip is NUVOTON // NPCD318HA0DX >> is there any device that can read or write to this? The board has empty JTAG pads if that helps. SVOD/ vertyanov etc...?

In my dump it does look like the 16mb ROM does seem like it has something wrong with it - in uefitool "FfsParser::parseRawArea: one of objects inside overlaps the end of data" / "FfsParser::parse: not a single Volume Top File is found, the image may be corrupted" , and seems to be missing FIT/ security section. I did wipe the 16mb rom chip, installed it blank on board and it did get rewritten on poweron, with a different file to what i originally read off it. The first half was totally blank, missing a lot - but this file in uefitool did show correct FIT and security section though. Still no working device.

----

If anyone has known working dump from both 32/16 bins, schematics, or some pointers for which direction to go down would be much appreciated.
      Serial ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
      Become a Badcaps supporter
      >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
      Thanks to all supporters.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

serial of what, the main unit, motherboard, or? and where to find it - numbers everywhere. Will add the info, out of interest how does this help diagnose?

Comment

serial of what, the main unit, motherboard, or? and where to find it - numbers everywhere. Will add the info, out of interest how does this help diagnose?
          Try it
          Attached Files

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
          Become a Badcaps supporter
          >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
          Thanks to all supporters.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

What was your method? 16mb file still the same, a modification to the 32mb file? I think the 16mb file seems a bigger concern.

However, exactly the same fault occuring. I re-read the 32mb bios after flashing your bin, and powercycling the device. The 32mb bios has been changed by something on the board, the 32mb bin that was rewritten by device attached.

I think a known good working 32/16 bin dump would be good starting point.
            Attached Files

Comment

The 16mb bin was modified too by the machine after last power on cycle attempt after flashing hoaca388 32mb file, attached
              Attached Files

Comment

The PC serial number.It will be on a sticker.With the serial we can find the right bios update from HP support,and check if the serial on the sticker matches with the one in the bios.Also the serial is required as per the rules

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...before-posting

Click image for larger version  Name:	HPZ2Mini04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.6 KB ID:	3158489
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

thankyou, it matches what is inside both 32/16 chips.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by reeluff; 12-06-2023, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Was asked twice for serial number, rules - fine.

Hoaca gave me a random file, told me to "try it", with absolutely no further context or information of what that file I was told to try was.

Is there a rule to provide useful information for any file told to try, otherwise how do we know what we are being given, whether it is malicious, what was done to the file, how will anybody learn anything.

Thankyou

Comment

All sorted, no worries - figured it out myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X