Mac mini 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac mini 2018

Hi all, did you solved? I have same identical problem but I have PP5V_G3S 5V

PP1V_PRIM 0V
    PP1V2_PRIM 0V

led of Mac Mini is blinking

Pragmatiko - with no power , measure the resistance (not diode mode) to ground of PP1V_PRIM and the PP1V2_PRIM rails. Post your measurements.

Comment

Hello,
      on PP1V_PRIM 46ohm, and PP1V2_PRIM 5Kohm

Tks

Comment

What is the history of your unit? Just stopped working one day? Any liquid damage? This model appears to be plagued with the same fault.

PP1V_PRIM @ 46 ohms, to me, sounds too low for a normal logic board. This rail is also used to power the USB PHY.

Carefully, measure the voltage to ground of:

PMU_P5V_USBC_ISENSE
        PMU_P5V_USBA_ISENSE

PP5V_G3S_USBA
        PP5V_G3S_USBC
        PP3V3_G3S_WLANBT
        PP3V3_G3H_ENET

Comment

no liquid damage. I got it from a friend that says the unit stop to working. Now when i plug it i can see only led to blinking. i will che the voltage you suggested me and reply to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
            What is the history of your unit? Just stopped working one day? Any liquid damage? This model appears to be plagued with the same fault.

PP1V_PRIM @ 46 ohms, to me, sounds too low for a normal logic board. This rail is also used to power the USB PHY.

Carefully, measure the voltage to ground of:

PMU_P5V_USBC_ISENSE voltage not present
            PMU_P5V_USBA_ISENSE voltage not present

PP5V_G3S_USBA voltage present 5V
            PP5V_G3S_USBC voltage present 5V
            PP3V3_G3S_WLANBT voltage present 3,3V
            PP3V3_G3H_ENET voltege present 3,3V

please read above

Comment

update, i have removed L7821 and L7822 and now voltage side IC is present. Then i suppose that 44ohm resistance downstream coil is not good.

Comment

Can you clarify? There is still a FB connection resistor @ R7820. Carefully remove it. Do not power up without these components. Great that you are comfortable with this process as the parts are incredibly small. There is also a cluster of pins on U7800 that directly bond to this rail (R12, T12, etc.) - so U7800 is still a suspect.

Then confirm which side of this rail is shorted? Is it the producer (U7800) or consumer side. In your post, do share the pin # of the removed coil(s) that show the 44 ohms to ground.

One tool that would help here and we are considering it to source soon is a low ESR capacitance meter that can measure in milli-ohms. With such a tool, it should be possible to test each cap or whatever on the board to confirm if it is shorted or not. There is a sea of parts onboard to investigate.

Comment

Well,I removed R7820 too and still I have low resistance consumer side. There are a lot of capacitor on that PP1V_PRIM. I will try to test with ESR meter (tomorrow maybe). Thank you for your support.
                  Attached Files

Comment

There is also a cluster of pins on U7800 that directly bond to this rail (R12, T12, etc.) - so U7800 is still a suspect.

Really interested to hear of your test results with the ESR meter. It is on my wish list. There is an excellent YT video on this topic and it is a no brainer to justify the purchase. Just scouting for a good quality one at a fair price.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                      There is also a cluster of pins on U7800 that directly bond to this rail (R12, T12, etc.) - so U7800 is still a suspect.

Really interested to hear of your test results with the ESR meter. It is on my wish list. There is an excellent YT video on this topic and it is a no brainer to justify the purchase. Just scouting for a good quality one at a fair price.
                      I don't know why, but I strongly believe that the problem is on R12,T12,U12..... of U7800 ic.
                      I've checked all capacitor under microscope. Usually bad capacitor is visible. I would be tempted to desolder the U7800.

Comment

Found cause of low resistance. I've removed U1200.
                        Now I don't have low resistance but still I don't have PP1V_PRIM. Maybe cause is PCH not installed?

But I think 44ohm is normal value for PCH. There must be more
                        Last edited by Pragmatiko; 05-20-2024, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X