HP MB Cap choices needed

I have a bad board, the caps around the CPU are:

2200 6.3V KZG (13 ESR, 2550 ripple)
    820 25V KZE (22 ESR, 2150 ripple)
    1500 6.3V KZG (26 ESR, 1540 ripple)

Others on the boards are:
    1000 10V Nichton HM
    1000 6.3V CFJZ

I have no idea what the CFJZ is since Nippon it seems never made a series like this.

Also not sure what I should use for the 820 25V since these are not available here. Are there any substitutes I can use that are available here like maybe going up in uF safely?

Also unsure on the ESR and ripple on the 1000 10V

Re: HP MB Cap choices needed

1) Capxon GD, Nichicon HM (New stock only), Rubycon MBZ, Sanyo WG, Panasonic FJ
    2) Panasonic FM, Nichicon HD, Rubycon ZL
    3) Capxon GD, Nichicon HM (New stock only), Rubycon MBZ, Sanyo WG, Panasonic FJ

4) Check the datecode. If after '06, keep. If not, replace with new stock HM.
    5) Leave these alone, these are Panasonic FJ

Rubycon MBZ and Samxon GD are impossible to find in 6.3V 2200uF. Panasonic FJ is also difficult to find. Get Nichicon HM and HD from Mouser.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      4) Check the datecode. If after '06, keep. If not, replace with new stock HM.
      None of the panasonics look bad. But the HM has poped top so I will replace.

However, I am stuck in figuring out what I can use for the 820uF as this one is unavailable here at badcaps. Can I use one of a higher uF value? The 820 is near the CPU.

Comment

If it's just one, you can get a 1000uF.

You might be able to get away with what he's got here:
        https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=109
        But note that the impedance for Samxon GT series for this particular cap is 0.010 to 0.014 higger than what you require.

He lists it as 10mmx20mm, but Samxon's catalogue shows only a 10mmx30mm or 12.5mmx20mm part, so you might want to ask him what's up with that.

If it's more than one, you have to consider that with each cap, you're adding 180uF extra capacitance to the circuit.
        Last edited by mockingbird; 12-27-2010, 02:33 AM.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

If it's more than one, you have to consider that with each cap, you're adding 180uF extra capacitance to the circuit.
          Yes, there are 4 of them, so sounds like it might be best then to stick with 820s.

Sorry, TopCat looks like I will need to place an order elsewhere. Anyone have suggestions on a good cap for this 820 are digikey or mouser?

Comment

I can get you links from Mouser, but I need you to measure the diameter (width) of the capacitors.

I too wish that he had better stock, I don't like giving business to Mouser.

Comment

Originally posted by jfcarbel View Post
              820 25V KZE (22 ESR, 2150 ripple)
              KZE is reliable. No need to replace it unless there is obvious issues.

Comment

I can get you links from Mouser, but I need you to measure the diameter (width) of the capacitors.

I too wish that he had better stock, I don't like giving business to Mouser.
                2200 6.3V KZG (13 ESR, 2550 ripple) - 10mm x 20mm
                820 25V KZE (22 ESR, 2150 ripple) - 10mm x 25mm
                1500 6.3V KZG (26 ESR, 1540 ripple) - 10mm x 20mm
                1000 10V Nichton HM - 8mm x 11mm

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                  KZE is reliable. No need to replace it unless there is obvious issues.
                  AS reliable as the KZG which has 3 of them bulging

Is KZE better and higher rated then the KZG series? These are 4 of them around the CPU and since they are there I was thinking of just replacing them

Comment

Here you go:

1) Nichicon HM 6.3V 2200uF
                    2) Panasonic FM 25V 820uF
                    3) Nichicon HM 5.3V 1500uF
                    4) Nichicon HM 10V 1000uF

For #2, I prefer Nichicon HD over Panasonic FM, but this part is backordered. The truth is, yyonline is correct. KZE is a good series, my choice after Panasonic FM. No need to replace it unless you absolutely enjoy the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by jfcarbel View Post
                      AS reliable as the KZG which has 3 of them bulging

Is KZE better and higher rated then the KZG series? These are 4 of them around the CPU and since they are there I was thinking of just replacing them
                      Better rated? No. More reliable? Yes.

Reliability matters when deciding whether or not to replace a cap. Ratings matter when deciding what to replace a cap with.

KZG has great ratings, but it dies early. Rubycon MBZ has the exact same ratings as KZG, but is more reliable. Just goes to show that ratings are only one piece of the whole picture.

KZE is reliable, therefore no need to replace it unless it's having issues, which is unlikely, as well...it's usually reliable. Replacing it won't hurt *if* you do it properly.

Comment

Chemicon KZG and KZJ have high failure rates.
                        They also don't always bloat when they go bad.....

KZE are a lower grade [by ESR & Ripple specs] but it's rare for them to fail.

Nichicon HM and HN series made from 2001 thru 2004 were defective due to a manufacturing error [over filled].

Have a photo of this "CFJZ"?
                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

CFJZ is Panasonic FJ.

Comment

Okay,,, The C is the temp degrees, but FJ's don't have a Z.

I think someone mentioned a new series FJZ but I haven't seen any yet and also no data sheet found yet.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

I saw Panasonic FJZ recently on a Foxconn AM2 board. It had FJ on vrm in and FJZ on vrm out. If I had to hazard a guess based on the generation of hardware, I'd say they're a MCZ equivalent...but that's strictly a guess.

Comment

This gentleman mentions FJZ:
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=13

But his board was an MSI K8N-Neo4, so this series has to be at least 5 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                                  If I had to hazard a guess based on the generation of hardware, I'd say they're a MCZ equivalent...but that's strictly a guess.
                                  Makes sense to me.

This gentleman mentions FJZ:
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=13

But his board was an MSI K8N-Neo4, so this series has to be at least 5 years old.
                                  Date code on those says 2004 but the post is Oct 2009 which makes them new -to us-.
                                  Not advertised retail [as FL and FJ aren't] so if we ever find a data sheet it will be shear luck.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

CFJZ Caps

I have a bunch of Acer Core 2 motherboards dating to 2008 and they have these CFJZ caps in the VRM area, so they have been used as OEM fairly recently.

Comment

There is no CFJZ cap.
                                      LOOK AT THEM.
                                      They are FJZ.

The "C" is part of the "105°C" string.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                        There is no CFJZ cap.
                                        LOOK AT THEM.
                                        They are FJZ.

The "C" is part of the "105°C" string.
                                        Your right the letters are right after the degrees.

All of these on the board look good.

The board is from a P4 HP computer. So an older MB indeed.

Thanks to everyone for their guidance, this forum is a pleasure to visit and learn with so many knowledgeable folks willing to lend a hand.

Comment

Working...
                                        X