Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD power goes on and off, blue light flickers

Thanks for the links.

One more question, are the cap specs always printed on the caps? I'm looking at them but I don't seem to see them in any of my pics, how do I figure out their specs?

Edit:
    I notice both me and Renesis13 have the same 2 caps bad in the same locations...coincidence?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...24&postcount=6
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=15
    Last edited by Boregy; 01-04-2011, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boregy View Post
      One more question, are the cap specs always printed on the caps?
      The specs should be on every cap. It will say something like 470uF 25V.

I notice both me and Renesis13 have the same 2 caps bad in the same locations...coincidence?
      As many have already commented on the poor design, the heat kills the caps. So it isn't a surprise that the same caps are bulging.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi everyone. As a follow up, I've kept the case off my monitor since I wrote my first post. Today, it started to flick on and off again. I'll probably replace all of the smaller caps in the power supply, but leave the large filter cap and the caps on the inverter board. I'll update again when I get a chance to get it done, thanks for your suggestions. Any idea of the best way to remove the gunk under the capacitors as well? I assume it's a glue or epoxy.

Also, with the poor power supply design, would it be worth trying to modify the heat sink as well? Any suggestions there?

Comment

Hi this is my fist post here, but I have the same issue I believe.

I've opened the monitor, but none of the capacitors look like they are bulging at all. One thing I do notice is there is a constant clicking coming from the power supply when plugged it. Its random about 2-4 times/second.

If the capacitors are not bulging can they still be bad. I had the flickering on/off issue before it died a while ago.

Comment

The Power Supply is obviously trying to start,hence the clicking.Caps don't need to be bulging to be faulty,an ESR meter is cetainly the best piece of Test Kit in these situations,but if you have not got one,then perhaps the initial and possibly the cheapest solution would be to change ALL the electrolytics on the board,except the largest one,usually in the 100uF,400v range,and take it from there.Dependant on your location in the World, there is lots of info on this site for the range of caps you will need and also some Suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOldboy View Post
              One thing I do notice is there is a constant clicking coming from the power supply when plugged it.

If the capacitors are not bulging can they still be bad.
              The clicking is the power supply trying to start like Rtech explains.

The smallest capacitor next to the SMPS plays an important part in the startup process and can be bad without signs of bulging.

This cap is usually in the 22uF and 50V range (as a guess). Replace with something like Panasonic FM or FC.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, I'll look into replacing that one cap, then move on to the rst if its does not work.

Comment

I've found this thread through google, and I have the same monitor. I'm wording how you got the panel separated from the back plastic.

I've got the front cover removed, but I can't find a way to remove the Panel from the back plastic with the stand...
                  I see there are screws under the stand mount that looks like is mounted to the panel, but it's inaccessible.
                  Last edited by jjpjimmy; 01-21-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

I've got the monitor open now. I found two capacitors that are bulging on the top of the left most board (the inverter?).

I'm going to replace all 4 on this board to be safe, but I'm wondering if I should replace every capacitor. There aren't any bulging capacitors on the power supply, but there might be a baddy in there as well....

To be sure I'm going to purchase (4) 100uF 35v 11.5mm(H)x 8mm(Dia), but I'm wondering what company (Nichicon vs. Panasonic) should I purchase expecting high temperatures.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by jjpjimmy; 01-23-2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpjimmy View Post
                      I found two capacitors that are bulging on the top of the left most board (the inverter?).
                      Yes, that is the inverter board.

I'm going to replace all 4 on this board to be safe, but I'm wondering if I should replace every capacitor. There aren't any bulging capacitors on the power supply, but there might be a baddy in there as well....
                      Definitely replace all the caps on the inverter board. The power board seems to have United Chemi-con caps (the brown cap with crown symbol). They generally make good caps, but their KZG series are problematic.

To be sure I'm going to purchase (4) 100uF 35v 11.5mm(H)x 8mm(Dia), but I'm wondering what company (Nichicon vs. Panasonic) should I purchase expecting high temperatures.
                      Panasonic FM caps are a favourite here, but Nichicon makes low ESR caps as well. See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello all,
                        My name is Ben and I'm new to this site. Just thought I would take the time to say "hi" and relay that I have three of these L2410NM LCD monitors, one of which I am in the midst of repairing.

As an fyi, I ordered my L2410NM replacement caps through the http://www.lcdalternatives.com/ website. I could have ordered them myself but I was lazy. When I ordered my replacement cap kit for the L2410NM I received the wrong set of caps. I didn't catch it initially when looking through the pics on this thread (thanks to all who have provided information), but there are apparently at least two different power supply boards used in the L2410NM, and LCD Alternatives supplied the caps for the other board (the board I don't have). I'm working with him and have supplied him with pics of both board versions, but in case someone here orders caps from that site, you may want to send a pic of your board along with your order. I'm not endorsing the site, but it seemed relevant to the discussion.

Ben

Version 1: (Parts I received)
                        1 10v 2200uF
                        1 25v 1500uF
                        2 25v 1000uF
                        2 35v 680uF
                        1 25v 100uF

Version 2: (my PS board)
                        1x 25v 330uF
                        1x 25v 410uF
                        1x 35v 1000uF
                        2x 35v 470uF
                        2x 50v 22uF
                        3x 25v 100uf

Version 2: (my Inverter board)
                        4x 35v 100uF
                        Last edited by ben3843100; 01-24-2011, 07:43 PM. Reason: Added Cap information

Comment

Originally posted by ben3843100 View Post
                          Hello all,
                          My name is Ben and I'm new to this site. Just thought I would take the time to say "hi" and relay that I have three of these L2410NM LCD monitors, one of which I am in the midst of repairing.

As an fyi, I ordered my L2410NM replacement caps through the http://www.lcdalternatives.com/ website. I could have ordered them myself but I was lazy. When I ordered my replacement cap kit for the L2410NM I received the wrong set of caps. I didn't catch it initially when looking through the pics on this thread (thanks to all who have provided information), but there are apparently at least two different power supply boards used in the L2410NM, and LCD Alternatives supplied the caps for the other board (the board I don't have). I'm working with him and have supplied him with pics of both board versions, but in case someone here orders caps from that site, you may want to send a pic of your board along with your order. I'm not endorsing the site, but it seemed relevant to the discussion.

Ben

Version 1: (Parts I received)
                          1 10v 2200uF
                          1 25v 1500uF
                          2 25v 1000uF
                          2 35v 680uF
                          1 25v 100uF

Version 2: (my PS board)
                          1x 25v 330uF
                          1x 25v 410uF
                          1x 35v 1000uF
                          2x 35v 470uF
                          2x 50v 22uF
                          3x 25v 100uf

Version 2: (my Inverter board)
                          4x 35v 100uF

Unfortunately, you learned the hard way that manufacturers use multiple power supply manufacturers for their monitors. Even a different revision of the same board may have different caps. Before ordering any kit, open up the monitor first and compare your board to the one in their photo and match up one for one the caps supplied in the kit to the ones on your board. This is also why we always ask for photos when rendering help to a member.
                          Last edited by jetadm123; 01-24-2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I need to buy a soldering iron (never soldered before).

Can someone recommend which I should choose between these 2:

30W
                            http://www.dealextreme.com/p/30w-ele...-110v-ac-22264

40W
                            http://www.dealextreme.com/p/keji-40...cm-cable-25659

or any other recommendation.

Thank you.

Comment

If you are only going to solder once or twice, then I would look on ebay for the cheapest 40W soldering iron. I use this method myself and pay about $2.99 USD. I have used this iron to repair about 14+ monitors.

The irons on ebay are probably come from the same factory as DealExtreme.

This website has an excellent guide on soldering at FAQ section

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485

The video solder video is by Curious Inventor at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Can someone recommend which I should choose between these 2:

-links removed-

or any other recommendation.

Thank you.

If you have a Radio Shack near you (or online), they have a nice 45 watt de-soldering iron for only $10.99. I'm no pro, but I picked one up and it was very easy to remove the caps on my LCD power supply board with the special tip and suction bulb. I haven't tried the following, but you may be able to swap the tip for a standard soldering tip available from Radio Shack and use it as a regular soldering iron as well.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062731

-Ben

Comment

Hi I've replaced the 4 capacitors on the Inverter and there has been a little progress in that the monitor shows at least some lines of the color (BIOS blue), from nothing at all. I'm hearing a whine/high pitched noise from the Power Supply; and I'm going to purchase replacement capacitors for the power supply (I've got the version 2 listed above by ben3843100) and I'd like to run final checks for these...

35v1000uF
                                  (x3) 25v100uF
                                  25v330uF
                                  25v470uF
                                  (x2) 35v470uF
                                  (x2) 50v22uF
                                  420v120uF
                                  Last edited by jjpjimmy; 01-27-2011, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Assuming the height and diameter work for the replace FC with FR.

100uF 25V use Panasonic FR P14413-ND
                                    22uF 50V use Panasonic FR P14452-ND
                                    1000uF 35V, use Panasonic FM P12405-ND
                                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-27-2011, 01:14 AM.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have the same monitor and it has just failed also. Yesterday it started to make a high pitched whine so I turned it off. By high pitched whine I mean it had such a high pitch that nobody else around could even hear it but it went off when I turned the power off so it clearly was coming from the monitor and that is where I heard it from. When I tried to turn it on today it would not turn on at all. The power light flickered very briefly on and that is it.

Is it likely that the caps have gone bad on the board also? I opened it up and can see no sign of burning anywhere but one cap is very slightly bulged at the top.

Is it worth it to try and repair it or just replace it? What are the odds that if it is the caps that something else is broken now as a result even though I can see no signs of damage anywhere.

Considering that it lasted out of the warranty I can't get it repaired that way. It also looks like most repair places charge enough that I would be better off getting another monitor then using them.

Comment

Originally posted by kosh View Post
                                        I have the same monitor and it has just failed also. Yesterday it started to make a high pitched whine so I turned it off. By high pitched whine I mean it had such a high pitch that nobody else around could even hear it but it went off when I turned the power off so it clearly was coming from the monitor and that is where I heard it from. When I tried to turn it on today it would not turn on at all. The power light flickered very briefly on and that is it.

Is it likely that the caps have gone bad on the board also? I opened it up and can see no sign of burning anywhere but one cap is very slightly bulged at the top.

Is it worth it to try and repair it or just replace it? What are the odds that if it is the caps that something else is broken now as a result even though I can see no signs of damage anywhere.

Considering that it lasted out of the warranty I can't get it repaired that way. It also looks like most repair places charge enough that I would be better off getting another monitor then using them.
                                        First, I would judge there is a 75% chance that replacing the caps will repair the monitor. A 'slight bulge' indicates the cap has failed. Caps can fail without any visible signs - some manufacturers are skilled on making that happen.

As far as repair vs replace, there are several factors to consider.

1. How are your soldering skills? If you never soldered, this is not the easiest way to learn. Still, it's not a great stretch - it's not like we are talking about replacing a 400 pin IC. (Since you did not report problems getting the monitor open, I assume your mechanical skills are up to the task.)

2. How badly do you need the monitor? You could get a replacement today; you won't be able to get the caps until Wednesday.

3. What is your financial situation? An equivalent monitor will run $250 - $300 while a full set of caps will run under $15 from Digikey (USPS First Class shipping).

4. How badly do you want a new monitor? Balance the points of bragging 'I fixed it myself' vs 'I bought a new 25" monitor Saturday'.

In the event you decide to replace the monitor, let me know. I'd gladly pay shipping (assuming you are in the USA). A guy can't have too many 24" monitors on hand.

PlainBill
                                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                          First, I would judge there is a 75% chance that replacing the caps will repair the monitor. A 'slight bulge' indicates the cap has failed. Caps can fail without any visible signs - some manufacturers are skilled on making that happen.

As far as repair vs replace, there are several factors to consider.

1. How are your soldering skills? If you never soldered, this is not the easiest way to learn. Still, it's not a great stretch - it's not like we are talking about replacing a 400 pin IC. (Since you did not report problems getting the monitor open, I assume your mechanical skills are up to the task.)
                                          Oh I got the monitor open just fine and I can solder things.

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                          2. How badly do you need the monitor? You could get a replacement today; you won't be able to get the caps until Wednesday.
                                          It is one of a set of 4 monitors so I can use the other 3 for now I would just prefer not to get a new one if I don't have to.

It is hard to find a good PVA panel and I really like them for programming work.
                                          When I did some experiements with TN panels I found that did not work very well with strange color shifting from top to bottom and side to side that I found distrating.

IPS I have not liked as much for text work as PVA panels.
                                          [/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                          X