Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 215tw display cuts out

First id like to say hi to you all

I have the same problem as "almoodie" When I turn the monitor on the video displays for a couple of seconds, then the screen goes blank.
    Power light glows continuously

all caps look ok, then I found one of the solder joints on the bulb has failed within the rubber sleeve .
    I resoldered the bulb,
    now when I power up I get 5 lamps working perfectly, did tube/transformer swaps and found it to be the transformer.

the problem now is I cant find a SPI 8TP0010 transformer, anyone know I can get one form?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by greens View Post
      the problem now is I cant find a SPI 8TP0010 transformer, anyone know I can get one form?
      http://lcdparts.net/TransformerDetai...ProductID=3355

You may want to check the secondary resistance before you order.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        http://lcdparts.net/TransformerDetai...ProductID=3355

You may want to check the secondary resistance before you order.
        Thanks retiredcaps

I'm not sure how to check secondary resistance, I was just hoping to change faulty SPI 8TP0010 and get the last bulb working

Thanks

Comment

I'm not sure how to check secondary resistance,
          See this video.

Testing for Faulty Inverter Transformers Tutorial (Part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNuGWBPRGKA
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

See this video.

Thank you retiredcaps good video

secondary resistances
            0.83k ohm this is the one I think is faulty
            0.87k ohm
            0.88k ohm
            0.90k ohm
            0.92k ohm
            0.89k ohm

I have swaped transformers on the board and still this one will not light a bulb

Comment

secondary resistances
              0.83k ohm this is the one I think is faulty
              0.87k ohm
              0.88k ohm
              0.90k ohm
              0.92k ohm
              0.89k ohm

I have swaped transformers on the board and still this one will not light a bulb
              0.83k ohm does seem out of spec compared to the rest of them.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for your time retiredcaps

I will order one and post the outcome

Comment

My monitor has just shown the same symptoms. I did, however find a temporary fix. I turned off the front panel switch, then I turned off the master power switch on the back of the panel next to the power cord connection. I waited about 30 minutes then turned on the master switch then the front panel switch and the display worked.
                  I have not timed the display to see if would go black after a period of time.

Mine is still under warranty and I have made arrangements to send it back to Samsung for repair.

Hopefully this process might also work for some of you.

Comment

First id like to say hi to you all

I have the same problem as "almoodie" When I turn the monitor on the video displays for a couple of seconds, then the screen goes blank.
                    Power light glows continuously

all caps look ok, then I found one of the solder joints on the bulb has failed within the rubber sleeve .
                    I resoldered the bulb,
                    now when I power up I get 5 lamps working perfectly, did tube/transformer swaps and found it to be the transformer.

Thanks
                    Update

This monitor has been in bits for over 12 months, but now thanks to this forum my monitor is now working perfect again

The transformer I used was a T51.0007.212 which I got from http://www.aquaphoenix.com/applicati...ex.cgi?item=64 as it only cost $5.99 including first class post
                    I had to modify the legs but I had no problems

and I would like to say thanks for the great posts on this problem and thanks to retiredcaps for your help

Thanks again
                    Greens

Comment

The transformer I used was a T51.0007.212 which I got from http://www.aquaphoenix.com/applicati...ex.cgi?item=64 as it only cost $5.99 including first class post
                      I'm glad your monitor is working. Good find on the transformer for 1/2 the price of the other place.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm glad your monitor is working. Good find on the transformer for 1/2 the price of the other place.
                        icdparts.net also wanted $15.99 to ship to UK, so it would of cost $28.98

Comment

Great discussion! - my monitor started flickering, then only lighting up for 0.5 sec so I replaced the PSU caps - still didn't work - I just re-wired one CFL (wires were brown and broke off when I pulled!) now my monitor is back in action!!!

Wouldn't have thought to look at the CFL if this forum hadn't prompted me.

good job, thanks all, I am very happy now (and for a bonus, today was my Birthday!)

Comment

A very Happy Birthday then/

Comment

Hi everybody,

I just get a T215W, with the symptom described many times here: only one second backlight, with LED still blue. So I thought of an inverter failure, I hoped leaking caps; it wasn't that.

Reminder: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1266529707
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1266529707

I read with attention this thread, but I think my problem is quite different. Without being connected to the logic board, the primary voltages seemed fine. Here are my experiments:

- With connection to logic board but not to the CCFLs, I have blue arcs with sound on T302 transformer, C302 and CN4... I thought T302 was shorted, but I haven't much experience in transformers.
                              - After T302 removal, I tried again: blue arcs were on T301...
                              - I removed T301, tried again: quite big arcs between T304 T305 T306 and CN5 CN6.
                              - After T305 removal, a smoke came from CN6, and the plastic of the connector started to burn... Of course I turned it off immediatly. Not to much damage I think.

With the help of this, I understood P1 and P2 is the primary winding, S1 and S2 the secondary. Am I right? Here are the readings of each transformer (1st / 2nd ohms):
                              - T301: 0.5 / 916
                              - T302: 0.5 / 937
                              - T303: 0.3 / 884
                              - T304: 0.4 / 921
                              - T305: 0.5 / 910
                              - T306: 0.3 / 903

So, different questions came to my mind:

1) If the problem (I mean electric arcs) moves to other transformers when I removed them, does it mean that the problem is before on the line?
                              2) The arcs get bigger with less transformers: is that logical, because more current go through the remaining transformers?
                              3) I listened to the monitor before disassembly, I didn't ear the electrical sound: are there likely arcs when the CCFLs are plugged? I am afraid to damage them if I try that now only with the remaining transformers...
                              4) The transformers readings seem good, can I be confident on their good working condition?
                              5) Is there a reason to check CCFLs solders even if the symptom is the same when they aren't connected? I would prefer not to dismantle the panel.
                              6) Last but not least: ... what to do next?

Does someone have an idea concerning all this?

Please excuse my spelling mistakes, as you noticed I'm not English.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasta Beuher View Post
                                only one second backlight, with LED still blue.

Here are the readings of each transformer (1st / 2nd ohms):
                                - T301: 0.5 / 916
                                - T302: 0.5 / 937
                                - T303: 0.3 / 884
                                - T304: 0.4 / 921
                                - T305: 0.5 / 910
                                - T306: 0.3 / 903
                                1) 2 seconds to black can be

a) bad caps
                                b) bad inverter transformer
                                c) bad ccfl and/or wiring

All are discussed in more detail in posts #13 and #14 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

2) PlainBill suggests that the readings for the inverter transformers should be within 3% of each other at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=18

3) T303 and T306 would be outside this 3% range if we use 937 ohms as the reading. 937 x 0.97 = 908.89.

4) And your English is fine.
                                Last edited by retiredcaps; 05-20-2011, 08:12 PM.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for your answer.
                                  The thread about testing is very informative, I will refer to it for other monitors.

So maybe T303 and T306 are quite outside the range, but before ordering it I would like to make sure that it is what causes the problem. I think it's awkward to have arcs when CCFLs aren't connected, when transformers aren't shorted, and that the arcs moves to other transformers after removing the arcing ones, no?

EDIT: I just tried with other spare CCFLs on 4 over 6 plugs after resoldering the 6 transformers, no arcs but the same symptom. Just a slight creak noise in the area of T301~T303, stopping when the backlight goes off. So I think the original CCFLs are fine...

Normally, should the BL work without 6 CCFLs? And without few transformers suspected to be faulty?
                                  Last edited by Rasta Beuher; 05-20-2011, 09:02 PM. Reason: New test performed

Comment

Originally posted by Rasta Beuher View Post
                                    Thanks for your answer.
                                    The thread about testing is very informative, I will refer to it for other monitors.

So maybe T303 and T306 are quite outside the range, but before ordering it I would like to make sure that it is what causes the problem. I think it's awkward to have arcs when CCFLs aren't connected, when transformers aren't shorted, and that the arcs moves to other transformers after removing the arcing ones, no?

EDIT: I just tried with other spare CCFLs on 4 over 6 plugs after resoldering the 6 transformers, no arcs but the same symptom. Just a slight creak noise in the area of T301~T303, stopping when the backlight goes off. So I think the original CCFLs are fine...

Normally, should the BL work without 6 CCFLs? And without few transformers suspected to be faulty?
                                    No. The inverter controller regulates the total current through all CCFLs and monitors the individual currents through and the voltage across each CCFL. If any of these are out of limits it will shut down. If one or more CCFLs are disconnected the remaining CCFLs will have to carry more current (so the total current will remain the same). This trips the over current protection.

PlainBill
                                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Ok, thanks. So the switch off mechanism is triggered if no CCFLs are connected, which happens here. But it doesn't explain the blue arcs, only when no CCFLs at all are connected...

I tried with the 6 transformers and the original CCFLs after replacing the two inverter caps, it didn't change anything: slight creak noise and cuts out.

I followed the onboard MOSFETs testing procedure for my two MBRIOI5OCT:
                                      a) Increasing value every second, starting from 400 ohms (+200 ohms each second). I used a higher range than 200.
                                      b) 0.5 ohms
                                      c) 159 ohms

The values seems the same for each one.

Comment

See this video.

this video in no longer valid could some explain how test the 6 transsisters. the pins don't appear to be labeled

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFETs testing procedure[/URL
                                          for my two MBRIOI5OCT:
                                          a) Increasing value every second, starting from 400 ohms (+200 ohms each second). I used a higher range than 200.
                                          b) 0.5 ohms
                                          c) 159 ohms

The values seems the same for each one.
                                          Unfortunately, the Part code is MBR10150CT,and it is NOT a Mosefet,but a 10amp Schottky Diode,you need to measure again,by putting the black lead of your meter on the centre pin and measuring resistance with the red lead alternately place on the each of the outer pins...then reverse the leads,measure again and advise.

Comment

Working...
                                          X