Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Sorry, I did not bookmark the datasheet URL but I did print some of it.
    Had to shrink the jpeg a bit to get it attached here.

pinout:
    1 + 15 inverter driver outputs
    2 - Vdd +5V
    3 - timer - RC constant for shutdown when problems detected
    4 - dim - usually external voltage 1-2v to set brightness
    5 - isen - current sensing on return side of ccfl tubes
    6 - vsens - proportional to inverter output
    7 - ovpt - overvoltage ref signal, somewhere arount 2.5v (AFAIK)
    8 - 9 - no connection
    10 - enable - below 1 v disables/resets controller
    11 - lct - select mode for dimming, analog here
    12 - sense problems with ccfl, voltage rise shuts it down
    13 - startup and 'strike' osc control
    14 - Vss
    16 - driver ground

Schematic shows 20k/30k in the voltage divider for ovpt, but the samsung is using much higher values - I would not rely on the printed R and C values.

I will try to relocate that URL.....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by magistertc; 09-14-2009, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 225BW. I never used a screen saver, and had my monitor on pretty much 24/7 for 1.5 years. Got home from Class, (electronics oddly enough) and noticed my screen was blank. The blue light was flashing faster than if a connection was bad.. I also heard a ticking noise. I found the scematics online.. checked Vin, the horribly, almost blown CapXon caps, and a few other random points and all the voltages were nearly correct. So i brought it into my class a few days later and my teacher said it sounded like it was working correctly. The sound i was hearing was the oscillator, doing its job. I got home and took everything apart.. I found the problem was one of the 4 lamps was broken.. Im guessing its the backlight.. not totally sure. Its the wire that goes into CN3-CN6. Hopefully this might help someone in the future.

rez

Nice site btw.. lots of information that i can use. :-)

Comment

Sent my monitor in on 8/12/09 for warranty repair. They said 7-14 days. Here it is 5 weeks later and they say it could be another week. Said had a bad backlight or inverter but couldn't get the part so they would exchange it. Exchange took over a week to get approved and now telling me another 7-10 days to send it out. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Samsung Should step up and send one out today since its been over a month in the shop. And yes I have called them several times.. Luckily I can borrow my 15in from work, but its not the same.. My Kill to death ratio is going down on my FPS games LOL Good news is I did fix my toaster, which has digital numbers 1-8, by replacing a burnt to a crisp zener diode.
        Last edited by bloodpuddle; 09-18-2009, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Re: 225BW - Final List of (digikey) parts?

Can someone post a list of digikey part numbers to do a complete replace of all related caps?

I'm completely non-technical when it comes to electronics but I will have some installing them if I can order the correct parts.

Post 39 indicated the following list of parts to be replaced (if you're going to do them all):

2x 680's
          2x 820's (digikey - 565-1800-ND)
          1x 330 (digikey - P10272-ND)
          1x 47

Another post warns to make sure you get the same physical size (!!) in order to make sure things fit on the board as they did originally.

Post 54 gave the specific digikey part numbers for only two of the above.

Can someone let me know what the other two Digikey part numbers are so I'm sure to get the right thing?

BTW-- my symptom is not quite the same as the original posted here. When my monitor goes into power save, it will not "wake up" properly. It flashes on for an instant and then flashes off. I'm assuming it's the same problem-- just an early symptom of the caps being in the process of going bad. I can still make the monitor come on by repeatedly pressing the ON/OFF button... eventually it stays on. Am I making a bad assumption that this is cap-related or... related to the same caps listed in the posts above?

Thanks for this post. I doubt Samsung would replace my monitor (still under warranty at this point) and I don't want them soldering crap components right back onto the board so... figured I'd go the route listed here.

Comment

Originally posted by glenleslie
            Can someone post a list of digikey part numbers to do a complete replace of all related caps?

I'm completely non-technical when it comes to electronics but I will have some installing them if I can order the correct parts.

Post 39 indicated the following list of parts to be replaced (if you're going to do them all):

2x 680's
            2x 820's (digikey - 565-1800-ND)
            1x 330 (digikey - P10272-ND)
            1x 47

Another post warns to make sure you get the same physical size (!!) in order to make sure things fit on the board as they did originally.

Post 54 gave the specific digikey part numbers for only two of the above.

Can someone let me know what the other two Digikey part numbers are so I'm sure to get the right thing?

BTW-- my symptom is not quite the same as the original posted here. When my monitor goes into power save, it will not "wake up" properly. It flashes on for an instant and then flashes off. I'm assuming it's the same problem-- just an early symptom of the caps being in the process of going bad. I can still make the monitor come on by repeatedly pressing the ON/OFF button... eventually it stays on. Am I making a bad assumption that this is cap-related or... related to the same caps listed in the posts above?

Thanks for this post. I doubt Samsung would replace my monitor (still under warranty at this point) and I don't want them soldering crap components right back onto the board so... figured I'd go the route listed here.
            Your symptoms are what I would expect for a monitor with bad caps. Now for the bad news - you're going to have to give complete information on the caps you are going to replace. This includes capacitance, voltage, diameter, and heigth. I'm pretty sure the information is in this thread, but since it's your monitor, you had better be the one to dig it out.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
              I'm pretty sure the information is in this thread, but since it's your monitor, you had better be the one to dig it out.

PlainBill
              Hi Bill,

The height is the one thing missing from the thread. By looking at digikey with the part numbers above, it appears that the two listed above are 20 and 15mm respectively so... I was deducing from the "make sure about the height comment" that 20mm was about the highest any of them could be (including judging by the pic in an earlier posting).

Again, not being an electronics guy, does it change the physics of what the capacitor does if it's one or two sizes larger around or a mm shorter than the original (I realize the pins don't match nicely if the circumference is not the same...)

Anyway, I have not torn apart my monitor myself to see what's what. I was hoping I could get the bill of materials, order the stuff and then get someone to help me put it in (someone already agreed but they don't know anything abou this monitor either so... couldn't tell me based on the postings above about the height recommendations).

One other question: are you suggesting the parts might vary from monitor to monitor depending on what Samsung happened to put in a particular lot of monitors?

Thanks,

GL

Comment

Originally posted by glenleslie
                Hi Bill,

The height is the one thing missing from the thread. By looking at digikey with the part numbers above, it appears that the two listed above are 20 and 15mm respectively so... I was deducing from the "make sure about the height comment" that 20mm was about the highest any of them could be (including judging by the pic in an earlier posting).

Again, not being an electronics guy, does it change the physics of what the capacitor does if it's one or two sizes larger around or a mm shorter than the original (I realize the pins don't match nicely if the circumference is not the same...)

Anyway, I have not torn apart my monitor myself to see what's what. I was hoping I could get the bill of materials, order the stuff and then get someone to help me put it in (someone already agreed but they don't know anything abou this monitor either so... couldn't tell me based on the postings above about the height recommendations).

One other question: are you suggesting the parts might vary from monitor to monitor depending on what Samsung happened to put in a particular lot of monitors?

Thanks,

GL
                It's pretty well documented that in some 'brands' (Gateway is one) two monitors with the same model number and specs will in fact have different LCD panels, inverters, logic cards, and inverters. I don't know if that is true with Samsung or not.

In general, you are correct. If one cap is 20 mm high, all other caps can be at least that high. For practical purposes, an 8 mm by 20 mm Panasonic FC cap is electrically interchangeable with a 12 mm by 15 mm Panasonic FC. The problem is physical interchangeability.

One suggestion: Check your local Craigslist. Locally, almost every day someone is offering a free a 15" or 17" CRT monitor.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

all the part numbers listed in this thread will work just fine..
                  they are all the correct hight and specs.

Comment

Oh man I just found this cool thread so I had to register and im also in need of help. One day I was riding my little 41cc scooter and found a 22 samsung lcd on the grass it was all wet so I opened it up to dry it then found 4 bad caps and I already replaced 2x 25V 820uf caps.

Still need:

2x 25V 680uf

I hope the lcd is fine and I haven't tested it yet but dose anyone know where to get them for cheap and good quality? Im going to try Digi-Key and parts numbers will be great too.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDCAPS
                      Oh man I just found this cool thread so I had to register and im also in need of help. One day I was riding my little 41cc scooter and found a 22 samsung lcd on the grass it was all wet so I opened it up to dry it then found 4 bad caps and I already replaced 2x 25V 820uf caps.

Still need:

2x 25V 680uf

I hope the lcd is fine and I haven't tested it yet but dose anyone know where to get them for cheap and good quality? Im going to try Digi-Key and parts numbers will be great too.
                      Digikey is a good source. You can easily look the part numbers up yourself. Here's how.

PlainBill

Comment

Is it ok if i use slightly 140uf over the 680uf? is it bad? it works great but im afraid and just want to ask

Comment

Got my replacement monitor today from samsung. a syncmaster 2433

1. It took 7 weeks not 7-14 days as promised.
                          2. they sent wrong size replacment but I can live with a 24in.
                          3. had a loose metal bracket inside rattling around... had to open it up and remove it.
                          4. This if funny... has a sticker on front "SAMSUCK" over samsung. LOL It must be a repaired model, and they didn't even remove the sticker! LOL

Seems to work great so far!! wow 24in is HUGE. Been using a 15in. for 7 weeks now!

Comment

Originally posted by bloodpuddle
                            This if funny... has a sticker on front "SAMSUCK" over samsung. LOL It must be a repaired model, and they didn't even remove the sticker! LOL
                            I guess they agree .
                            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Hi everyone, I also have a 225BW that would turn off a few seconds after power up.

I am going to try to replace the caps

c305,c304,c112 - 330uf 25V

c107 - 47uf 50V

My unit was refurbished and compared with what others have posted here, it appears at c110 and c111, the two 820uf 25v was replaced by a single 2200uf 16v cap
                              (perhaps this is why the monitor is malfunctioning now)

I am a little confusing cause I have no idea where people found the two 680uf caps.

So how does all this sound?
                              Thanks for any help your guy can give.

Comment

Well here is another twist to the problem, I'm trying to order the caps from Digi-Key and the 330uf part numbers listed here are out of stock until January 2010. I'm trying to find them from an alternate source and will post the results if I do.

Thanks for this great site and this thread!

Don

Comment

Jump to topcat's capacitors section and order them. Use 470uF instead.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                                    Jump to topcat's capacitors section and order them. Use 470uF instead.

Cheers, Wizard
                                    Wizard,

Thanks for the input, I have already ordered them from an alternate source. Hopefully I got everything right. They should be here today, I'll post back when I've got them installed and let everyone know.

My display is still under warranty too, but after reading the posts here, on the return effort, I decided to just fix mine myself.

What's really funny is it will not come out of sleep any more, just flickers, but if I reboot it comes on. I assume two different capacitors handle those two functions, is that correct?

Thanks,
                                    Don

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard
                                      Thanks a lot for the information!

I hope they don't have this issue with the 226BW, which is/was one of the most popular 22" displays. Otherwise there will be a large amount of them in need of repair soon.
                                      Looks like the 226BW will have the same issues. And I would think there will be a lot more people posting about it soon enough. I bought my 226BW around 2.5 years ago, March 2007. I'm a heavy user and my screen has been running for much of the past 2.5 years so I would expect mine to be one of the first to go. At the time, in the UK, the 226BW was the best priced unit with the best features, a ton of gamers bought this unit, it was very popular. My 226BW first showed sign of degrading caps around 4-6 months ago.

My 226BW display has been exhibiting signs of degrading caps for some time. Initially the screen would flicker then go dark and I would have to toggle it on/off for a while until it would stay on long enough to warm up and allow the lamps to pop. I could get it to run ok by letting the caps warm up with the brightness at a higher level (say 70-90) then dimming the brightness until the lamps popped.

I'm glad I found this forum, I opened the unit up and yep the 226BW has those shitty capxon caps and yes mine are shot. 4 of them are domed and 3 of them are actually leaking a little through the top of the cap. There's another thread concerning the 226BW where the OP has kindly posted pics of his power supply board and highlighted the caps needing replaced.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...0&page=2&pp=20

PlainBill helpfully posted replacement panasonic cap part #'s

Are the power supply boards the same for the samsung 225BW and 226BW? If so perhaps a mod would consider merging these two posts, the Samsung 226BW one has almost a full page of crap about bad experiences with various postal services. I had to read through all that in case there was something actually relevent to the topic at hand I had missed, meh

Comment

Well I got the caps in and the 820's I ordered were too tall. The 330's were a perfect match. I picked them up from Newark.

www.newark.com

part # 04M9019
                                        $0.44 Each

I went back to digi-key for the 820's.

The only 820's Newark had, that would fit, must be a discontinued item because they had a $20.00 handling fee attached to them.

Anyway it was the first time I had tried anything like this and it went fairly smooth. I do recommend that you find a video of how to do this. I searched for "removing solder from a board" and got several hits, the video helped me correct some things I was doing wrong.

I'm glad I did this because I have an identical monitor sitting on the other side of my desk, both manufactured March 2007, so I'm ready when the other one starts acting up.

HTH,
                                        Don
                                        Last edited by donl517; 10-24-2009, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I have a similar issue with the 226BW, but with a slight twist:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...p=20#post84580

Thanks,
                                          Ken

Comment

Working...
                                          X